Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

If Mateo has put in the work and what he's doing is deemed at least somewhat sustainable by the powers that be, they won't trade him. This is one of those instances where I'm just going to ***** out and say I will trust their judgment. 

I do, however, understand the urge to deal him. They are flooded with middle infielders, at least one of which is purported to be a defensive wizard (who can also hit a little bit, by the way). 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

🤞🏻

He would have been traded already if we could have found a third team to get involved....I'm sure of it.  😁

My next comment is not directed at you @SportsGuy, but there were some on here that would have given Mateo away for a bag of balls in January, and Henderson would have been starting for Norfolk last night.  We sure are an impatient bunch.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is a great, insightful read.  Borgschulte seems like the real deal.  A big, big improvement from the Coolbaugh days.

The Banner’s coverage of the Orioles and their farm system is really good.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There’s a lot of room between where Mateo currently is (1.049 OPS) and where he was last year (.646).   So, while I don’t think his current level of play is “for real” or sustainable, I have little doubt that by the end of the year, his offensive numbers will be significantly above where they were last year, and he seems to have a decent chance at being average or better offensively for a SS while continuing to play great defense.  It’s a very exciting and important development for the team.  

If he puts the ball in play (which he has been doing) his numbers are going to skyrocket.  Like Moose said, I'm waiting to see how he rebounds from the first slump.  All the adjustments he's making are precisely the adjustments he needed to make, so I'm holding out hope.  

Mateo is a rare talent when he puts it together like this. More rare than any of the other (extremely promising) SSs in our system. He's quite clearly one of the best athletes in baseball. Not making any larger point; just remarking on how fun it is to watch him right now.

• Upvote 1