Kyle Gibson 2023

sportsfan8703

He’s had moments where he looks like he could do it for another five years. I don’t hate Kyle Gibson but I think in order for the O’s to take the next step (truly) they need to upgrade the Jordan Lyles and Kyle Gibsons of their world. He’s eaten innings and saved the pen a bunch this year.

If he ends up throwing 180+ innings this year with a 4.50ish ERA I think that he will have earned every cent of that $10million he’s being paid this year.  

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I need a meme of Pacman eating innings, because that's what Gibson does.

That’s 15 quality starts for Gibson on the year.  He’s averaging 5.86 IP per start.  With his next start, Gibson should pass the 162 IP threshold.  With 5-6 starts likely remaining (depending on whether we stick with a 6-man rotation, he’s got a chance of topping 190 innings.  200 is still theoretically possible, though not likely.  

The last Oriole to throw 190 innings was Wei-Yin Chen in 2015.   Kevin Gausman was the last to throw 180, in 2017.

Gibson's year by year numbers are remarkably consistent. This was a really savvy signing by Elias, even though it wasn't and still isn't exciting. His walk rates and HR rates have been better in recent years as well. He's a true veteran. Dean Kremer should be taking notes. I think his career could go down a similar path with some luck.

Edited by dzorange

I was really worried about this pitching matchup on paper. Hell of a bounce back after two pretty worrying starts from Gibson preceding this one. Loved the emotion after the final out in the 8th. 

People look at the Orioles stats and wonder how they do it. Kremer and Gibson outpitched Gausman and Berrios. It doesn't make much sense, but they find a way. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I was really worried about this pitching matchup on paper. Hell of a bounce back after two pretty worrying starts from Gibson preceding this one. Loved the emotion after the final out in the 8th. 

People look at the Orioles stats and wonder how they do it. Kremer and Gibson outpitched Gausman and Berrios. It doesn't make much sense, but they find a way. 

Baltimore just has so much consistency. There are no real low points with this team. The offense knows what it's going to get out of the pitching and visa versa. The defense has been improving.

1-7 of the lineup are all .800 OPS guys this year give or take 20 points either way when they are hot and cold. You know what you're getting out of the lineup, and the pitching has really come together the past couple of weeks. The depth in the rotation and in the bullpen have improved.

Baltimore just lacks a thumper in the rotation and in the lineup. Those thumpers might already be on the roster (Rodriguez and Henderson, perhaps Rutschman when he finds his power), but they're not there yet. Doesn't mean they can't get hot at the right time in the playoffs.

We'll see how the O's perform in the next 12 games - the White Sox, Rockies, and Angels are teams they should beat up on. The Diamondbacks are the toughest of the bunch, but not very intimidating. I really hope we see this team hit the accelerator button over the next two weeks.

Edited by dzorange

9 minutes ago, dzorange said:

Gibson's year by year numbers are remarkably consistent. This was a really savvy signing by Elias, even though it wasn't and still isn't exciting. His walk rates and HR rates have been better in recent years as well. He's a true veteran. Dean Kremer should be taking notes. I think his career could go down a similar path with some luck.

I think the Kremer comparison is pretty apt.  I’d like to think Kremer has a little more peak upside, but Gibson’s longevity is to be admired.  

• Upvote 2

Pitching is by its nature high variance, but I think Kyle Gibson represents the 99th-100th percentile at how sturdy a low variance resume a MLB pitcher can build.

WYSIWYG.

I am curious to see what, if any, October role he holds.     

Kremer as his apprentice - there's a certain way in which I already don't think about Kremer making 30 starts for the next few year's teams.     He's there, the Club must complete 1425 innings - other Clubs use much worse.

Edited by Just Regular