Kyle Gibson 2023

sportsfan8703

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't put the odds of Gibson becoming a coach any lower than any other player. I don't think I would take that bet for any player no matter how little money they made playing.

Oh, I’d definitely guess there’s a loose correlation between career earnings and likelihood of becoming a coach. But look at it this way: the average major league team uses about 55 players a year.  Depending on who you want to count, they have maybe 7-12 coaches.  Of those coaches, many never played in the majors.  So, the odds of a major league player becoming a major league coach are maybe 1 in 10?  I’m guessing it’s probably less than that.

For anyone who wants to dive into this, here’s a current list of major league coaches.

This thread deserves a bump. Gibson was terrific last night, helped by a generous strike zone but command of all pitches was sharp. Gave up a hard fly to center and then the Solo homer finished his night.

4-0, ERA sits at 3.60 with 1.17 WHIP. Solid if not spectacular. We all wanted a Verlander type but at least we are getting our money's worth so far.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

Seemed like he got a ton of swing and misses last night. Anyone know of a site where you can see this data?

You're right. He got 18 whiffs last night. His previous four starts had all had between 6 and 10 whiffs. Here's last night, swing data in the bottom chart: 

image.thumb.png.2851286f5a55fea843b87c468a00485a.png

You can find almost anything of this variety at players' Baseball Savant page. Though sometimes it's hard to figure out where to go to find the info arranged how you want. (For this, I couldn't find any menu that compared things like whiff rate on a start-by-start basis so I clicked into the various game logs.)

Edited by Spy Fox
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He missed 1 bat tonight.

Not sure I have ever seen that from a starting pitcher before.

Yeah I just came on here because I figured someone would have the numbers…that was certainly a weird start last night.