Update: Home Opener postponed due to stormy weather until Friday!

SteveA

Latest forecast has strong thunderstorms passing through Baltimore between 2:00 and 6:00 pm tomorrow, so I would say Opening Day is in jeopardy.

The Twins have just announced the  postponement of their home opener from tomorrow (cold, windy,  possible snow forecast) to Friday (52 and sunny forecast).   I wonder if the Orioles would consider doing the same.   The Friday forecast here is 64 and cloudy, with very little chance of rain.

In the past the Orioles have postponed a day in advance when the forecast looked dicey for Opening Day and great for the next day.

I hope they make the decision tonight, either way. Opening Day festivities are a full day affair, if they are going to postpone the game, I will send my kids to daycare, if not I will keep them home to bring to the game.

Edited by MurphDogg

This was posted by the best local weather guy I have seen. He is very accurate. He hasn’t provided an update yet but should at some point today:

Os home opener update! Unfortunately it’s a bit up in the air. It looks like it will definitely be warm and mostly dry prior to the game, but a cold front with associated showers and maybe even a strong thunderstorm will try to pass thru around and after scheduled first pitch. Unfortunately to get a good read on the timing of this, we need to wait another day or so but at this point I would prepare for warm temperatures prior to the game and should be ideal for tailgating and shenanigans but around the start and during the game showers may become likely with a drop in temperatures. As of now, I don’t think it’ll get rained out but a delay is very possible and we’ll have to watch to see how long this may last. I’ll update more tomorrow and especially Wednesday.

• Upvote 1

I finally have tickets to opening day and now this. No chance this is a coincidence.

I live within walking distance of OPACY, so I’m usually ultra flexible, but I’ll actually be house sitting for my parents down in Annapolis on Friday, so that’s a cherry on top.

Hoping against hope the game is somehow played tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

In the past the Orioles have postponed a day in advance when the forecast looked dicey for Opening Day and great for the next day.

I hope they make the decision tonight, either way. Opening Day festivities are a full day affair, if they are going to postpone the game, I will send my kids to daycare, if not I will keep them home to bring to the game.

I have a buddy who insists on going early to Opening Day for the festivities and I'm like, I could not be less bothered by that stuff. Just inject the baseball game into my eyeballs. I can't stand waiting around while somebody blabs on the field. Lol

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I have a buddy who insists on going early to Opening Day for the festivities and I'm like, I could not be less bothered by that stuff. Just inject the baseball game into my eyeballs. I can't stand waiting around while somebody blabs on the field. Lol

I didn't mean the in-stadium festivities, I don't much care for those either. I meant the party atmosphere in my neighborhood in the hours leading up to the game.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

I didn't mean the in-stadium festivities, I don't much care for those either. I meant the party atmosphere in my neighborhood in the hours leading up to the game.

Gotcha. Yeah I'm the same. Sometimes it sucks being the true baseball nerd in the group lol.

If the forecast holds true to form as of right now, it appears that the game likely doesn’t start until 630-730 area.

That also would mean that there would basically be no pre game celebration stuff and no outside the stadium stuff either because the weather is going to be bad from around game time up until that 7:00ish area.

Knowing that the weather on Friday is looking solid enough, I would hope they would allow everyone going the full spectrum of what OD offers and postpone the game until Friday and that announcement should be made sometime this evening.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If the forecast holds true to form as of right now, it appears that the game likely doesn’t start until 630-730 area.

That also would mean that there would basically be no pre game celebration stuff and no outside the stadium stuff either because the weather is going to be bad from around game time up until that 7:00ish area.

Knowing that the weather on Friday is looking solid enough, I would hope they would allow everyone going the full spectrum of what OD offers and postpone the game until Friday and that announcement should be made sometime this evening.

Let's hope. there is nothing worse than going down there in the rain, hanging out so the Orioles get some concessions, then get a postponement. With opening day and he thought that they could get "two opening day crowds" it would not surprise me if they milk tomorrow as long as possible then postpone it. More money in the Angelos family coffer. 

Hmm I could potentially go if they move it to Friday.  If anyone has tickets and can't go if its Friday let me know! :) 

The last opening day I went to was I want to say in 2016 and it had multiple rain delays.  The day started out nice and sunny and by the end of the game was cold and wet.  My now wife finally had enough during the last rain delay and I ended up watching the end of the game in our hotel bar.  Pretty sure Wieters hit a walk off to end that one.