Chayce McDermott 2023

Tony-OH

20 hours ago, nvpacchi said:

Still the arsenal looks super interesting.  A nice fastball, a great looking curve, two sliders to attack hitters, as well as the potential for a change-up - the stuff is definitely there.  Eno's stuff+ at least confirms this directionally ranking him at 101 stuff for his full mix of pitches (don't no the split by pitch sadly). 

Agreed.  The movement profile of his pitches are really interesting.

On 10/16/2023 at 1:47 PM, btdart20 said:

@nvpacchi - Really cool breakdown! 

How did you get to VAA?  It's a tough one to understand in isolation, but the VAA on his 4S seems on the plus side of average-ish to me.  With how it played in AAA, I was assuming a lower number.  Any idea on release height (esp for the 4S)? 

Interesting note on the slider and could explain what I saw as control issues since they weren't grouped as tight.  

there's a formula to calculate VAA based on the x y and z velocities and accelerations that statcast captures.  I forget which article, but Alex Chamberlain writes it out in a fangraphs article. 

the release height is the biggest unknown which would really let us know how "plus" his vaa and ivb true are. Im on my phone and cant really ascertain the  release point from the statcast summaries,  but it looks 6 footish - probably puts him above average on both ivb and vaa.  Spring training data would be awesome to get the full landscape 

Was just listening to an interview with McDermott on MLB radio.

He was a psych major in college and he was talking about how that helps him.

One thing was interesting is how they were talking about his BB rate and he said if he thinks about not walking guys, he’s going to walk guys.

He has a very good head on his shoulders  and seems to have a very good idea of how to pitch. He was talking about how much help the org is, etc…

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Baseball America 

‘Underrated Pitching Prospects At The Upper Levels According To Roboscout’

Chayce McDermott, RHP, Orioles

McDermott ended the year ranked No. 14 in Baltimore’s system, but RoboScout ranked him the No. 21 pitcher across all of Triple-A. McDermott has a mid-90s fastball with vertical life that generates plus whiffs and an incredible per-run pitch value. His mid-80s slider has nearly a foot of horizontal break and is almost as effective as his fastball in terms of run prevention. 

But the 2021 fourth-round pick out of Ball State has struggled with control for nearly his entire professional career. His command woes particularly affected his curveball, which had a 34% CSW, 41% whiff percentage and induced a 33% chase rate in 2022, but took a step back in 2023 in conjunction with iffy strike-throwing. McDermott’s potential as a rotation piece hinges on harnessing his overall command. RoboScout sees him as a league-average pitcher at peak which, especially to an Orioles organization that currently lacks big league pitching depth, would be extremely valuable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Baseball America 

‘Underrated Pitching Prospects At The Upper Levels According To Roboscout’

Chayce McDermott, RHP, Orioles

McDermott ended the year ranked No. 14 in Baltimore’s system, but RoboScout ranked him the No. 21 pitcher across all of Triple-A. McDermott has a mid-90s fastball with vertical life that generates plus whiffs and an incredible per-run pitch value. His mid-80s slider has nearly a foot of horizontal break and is almost as effective as his fastball in terms of run prevention. 

But the 2021 fourth-round pick out of Ball State has struggled with control for nearly his entire professional career. His command woes particularly affected his curveball, which had a 34% CSW, 41% whiff percentage and induced a 33% chase rate in 2022, but took a step back in 2023 in conjunction with iffy strike-throwing. McDermott’s potential as a rotation piece hinges on harnessing his overall command. RoboScout sees him as a league-average pitcher at peak which, especially to an Orioles organization that currently lacks big league pitching depth, would be extremely valuable.

Thanks for sharing.  Makes me wonder how they define "league-average pitcher"...  Fingers-crossed for a #3 type.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, bpilktree said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-prospects-may-be-in-2024-pitching-mix?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

saw this posted today nice read on McDermott and Povich.  

Good article.  I like the last bit from Elias:

For now, Elias is eager for two of the organization’s most promising young pitchers to continue working with a staff that includes vice president of player development and domestic scouting Matt Blood, director of pitching Chris Holt, Minor League pitching coordinator Mitch Plassmeyer and others.

“We have slowly and quietly and steadily built out a really first-rate pitching department,” Elias said. “We’ve got the lab. We’ve got all the resources of a large-market team, as it pertains to pitching development. We’ve got the wherewithals of whoever you want to name.”

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

For now, Elias is eager for two of the organization’s most promising young pitchers to continue working with a staff that includes vice president of player development and domestic scouting Matt Blood, director of pitching Chris Holt, Minor League pitching coordinator Mitch Plassmeyer and others.

“We have slowly and quietly and steadily built out a really first-rate pitching department,” Elias said. “We’ve got the lab. We’ve got all the resources of a large-market team, as it pertains to pitching development. We’ve got the wherewithals of whoever you want to name.”

Excited about McDermott season last year. Disappointed in Povich for the fact that when i saw him in spring training he looked really good. Seemed like a lesser version of Max Freid.

7 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Excited about McDermott season last year. Disappointed in Povich for the fact that when i saw him in spring training he looked really good. Seemed like a lesser version of Max Freid.

I kept waiting for Povich to turn a corner with his consistency, but it never happened last year.   Hopefully it will happen this year.   When he’s on his game, he’s very good.  

On 12/18/2023 at 8:30 AM, Frobby said:

Rill missed Ramsey.  Unless Ramsey is in the majors.

8 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

The stuff is there though so that's the good thing. It's all about consistency of command for him.

McDermott started to take that step last year and he was a year older so maybe this year will be when Povich starts to put it together more consistently. Remember, he looks like this sometimes: https://www.mlb.com/video/cade-povich-strikes-out-thirteen?partnerId=web_multimedia-search_video-share