Padres spending

Sports Guy

"Every baseball franchise, sports franchise, is unique," Seidler said at the onset of spring training. "There's a unique set of circumstances that impact the way organizations are run. And our situation is unique. We have a very sports-oriented and hungry fan base. We believe if we continue to build that trust, they will continue to come. And it's about winning and it's about being exciting, and it's about our fans, young and old, knowing that they're gonna be able to watch great, exciting players year after year after year. And when we talk about risk -- there's a risk in doing nothing."

Seidler purchased the Padres more than a decade ago with visions of turning them into something resembling the Los Angeles Dodgersteams presided over by his grandfather, Walter O'Malley, the prominent executive who brought baseball to the West Coast.

17 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Must be nice to have an owner that cares and wants to win more than he wants to get in good with local politicians and having concerts.

And who has the cash flow from other businesses to run his team at a loss for a while to build the fanbase.  

• 2 weeks later...

As time goes by, Juan Soto may indeed find this so very difficult.

https://theathletic.com/4426971/2023/04/18/mlb-contract-term-limit-dispute/

“A reform that has been of interest to ownership for a number of years is a limitation of contract length,” Manfred said Tuesday evening at Sports Business Journal’s World Congress of Sports conference in Los Angeles. “Obviously players love it, it gives them financial security for a very long period of time. The difficulty — and I think players will come to appreciate this as time goes by — those contracts result in a transfer from the current stars to yesterday’s stars. At some point, that has to be true. And I think it is an issue that is important for us to stay focused on, because it creates inflexibility that affects the quality of the teams that you put on the field.”

• 2 months later...

The Padres have a pile of mega contracts and are nowhere near the playoffs.  7 1/2 games back in the wild card.  Manny contract looks like a big mistake.  Below .700 OPS.  Odor (yes him) played RF for today's game.  I disn't like Odor's range at 2B can-t imagine how he looks in RF.  Padres are a study in poor roster construction.

15 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The Padres have a pile of mega contracts and are nowhere near the playoffs.  7 1/2 games back in the wild card.  Manny contract looks like a big mistake.  Below .700 OPS.  

I do think the Manny extension was a big mistake, but I think he’ll come back strong in the 2nd half this year.  The bigger problem with that deal comes 4-5 years from now.  

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Dropped 3 of 4 in Philly to open the second half, and now on to hot Toronto.

There was a time I thought Bob Melvin could have been a good manager for the O's.  He did a lot with a limited payroll team in Oakland.  Now that he's with the Padres, he can't seem to win with all the richness of players that AJ Preller surrounded him with.  Preller just kept getting the fancy new toys that were available, which is nice and all.  However, if there's no chemistry, that clubhouse will be a mess.  With that in mind, I wouldn't want to see Melvin as manager of the O's.

• 2 months later...

Couple of home runs for Manny last night, who also revealed he'll be sidelined ~6 months with the elbow surgery he needs when he's done being Willis Reed.

Szymborski ran a piece yesterday where ZiPS give them about 1 in 4 playoff odds if they finish with 0 or 1 more losses.

They've won 8 in a row and finish Cardinals-Giants-White Sox.

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don't think either of them are coming up until near the All-Star break.  Elias history is that he is not DFAing players that he sees as valuable.  This includes players like Mateo and Urias, like it or hate it.  Also if Urias/Mateo is DFA'ed/traded and Mayo is brough up, that makes Mayo a utility player who can't play 2b or SS.  I think Holliday is more likely to come up 1st because he is more of a replacement for Urias/Mateo.  I think Urias will be the one to go.  Someone from 1B/DH/RF needs to be traded for Mayo to get anything other than once or twice a week playing time. 
    • On April 26, in relief, he pitched 4 innings, 1 hit, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts.  I think he’s fine physically.
    • I’m wondering if there’s something physically wrong with him.  He’s not the same guy as he’s been the last two years, and not just because he’s now pitching in AAA.
    • Rolphy Cruz certainly fell hard.  Earned a mid-season promotion to Delmarva last year after posting a 1.192 OPS in the FCL, and he’s out of the org less than 11 months later.  
    • Are you another one of these guys who can’t answer a simple question.  Your own question.  If Mayo comes up and plays 3B well defensively and does well offensively, what do you do with Holliday short term and long term? You asked me and I answered.  I asked you the same question and I noticed you wrote about a lot of other things but, unless I missed it, you didn’t even attempt to answer that question which, again, was your own question.
    • Back to Nick, he’s one of my 5-6 favorite Orioles of all time, even though you wouldn’t put him in the 5-6 best.  Just tremendously steady and reliable.  And, he came along during a really dark period for the Orioles as well as their minor league system.  I used to refer to him as “the Boy Who Lived” because he was the only decent player our farm system produced over a 7-8 year period. I’ll never forget that shot of him on the field after the O’s clinched the AL East, taking in the scene with a tear in his eye.  That’s more memorable to me than any of the great things he did on the field.   I will make every effort to be at his induction ceremony, even though I know his acceptance speech is likely to be forgettable.  Because I’ll never forget his importance to the franchise.    
    • Honestly, if you are asking me what I would do. I play Mateo more right now because he is outperforming Urias. I would also, give Mayo some time in RF at AAA. And I would leave Holliday down at AAA as well. I wouldn't feel rushed to make a move right now and I would probably reevaluate things some time in June. I would not recall Holliday until he has had at least 60 days (2 months time at AAA) and he would have to be mashing at that time and shown that he has worked on the things that they have asked him.  I would not bring up Mayo until he has had adequate time to adjust to the OF. To answer your question, I would not bring up Mayo to play 3B. It creates an unnecessary problem for you both now and later. If the O's are not planning to trade Mayo (which I hope they don't), the most likely scenario is that he is going to move out of the infield because his defense is not good enough. Lastly, if by June/ early July Santander hasn't picked it up, then I would give Mayo or Kjerstad a serious look in RF. The reason that I say RF for Mayo is that he has a very strong arm and pretty decent mobility for a guy his size, but I don't think that the glove is good enough for the INF at a high level in the Major Leagues. I also, wouldn't expect Mayo/Holliday/Cowser/Kjerstad to put up an .800+ OPS in their first go round in the Major Leagues. I don't think that is a realistic expectation at all for a guy making the jump for the first time.
  • Popular Contributors