Creed Willems 2023

Frobby

23 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He is 4 for his last 22 with 3 of those hits coming in one game.

At this point, I think it’s fine to call him up but I could see them giving him more time to see if this is just a SSS type slump or if he is actually about to go into a longer drought.

He’s 5 for his last 16 with 1 double and 2 homers.  SSS slump over!

• Upvote 1

I don't see the rush to move him up.  He's very young, and enjoying his first success in pro ball.  He's also a catcher, so they often need more development time (at least those catchers who aren't drafted 1:1....)

• Upvote 2

On 5/11/2023 at 7:52 PM, owknows said:

Shorebird Trivia

Which player has a higher stolen base total in the '23 season to date...

Catcher Creed Willems?

or

Shortstop Carter Young?

I’d go with Willems.  Young has only been on base like 3 times all year.  

No Willems again tonight. As others said must not be too serious since they haven’t IL’d him (yet), but still seems odd. 

Btw, I met him at ST. Went to Twin Lakes for a day in mid March. I was the only fan there that day. Very likable guy. Took the time to talk baseball and what the ST experience is like in between live BP sessions. He and Basallo stood out from the crowd. Hitting tanks all over the place. I’ve been wanting to post this sooner, but based on what I saw firsthand I could sense a breakout was coming from Creed. Both of them were nice enough to autograph a baseball for me.

Basallo is freaking huge. I’m 6’ 4” 200 lbs and I felt small near him. Crazy he’s only 18. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

No Willems again tonight. As others said must not be too serious since they haven’t IL’d him (yet), but still seems odd. 

Looking at Milb.com, Willems was put on 7 day IL on 5/13/23.

Looking at the Delmarva Roster, they have 5 catchers on it and 3 are on 7 day IL.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Double and homer tonight both off of LHP.   Despite playing in only 27 games due to minor injuries (Basallo has played 35) Willems is top 5 in the league in homers, rbi, and OBP and leads the league in slugging and OPS.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1