McCann activated Stowers optioned

Pat Kelly

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe Stowers is overrated on here.  Is that not a possibility?

Don't get me wrong, I'm over Santander and I'm over Hays.  I'd prefer to see Stowers over either of them, but I don't think the talent gap between the three is necessarily that huge, which makes the outrage over the treatment of Stowers a bit more perplexing.  Sure, these three players have different skill sets and yes, I'd agree that Stowers has more upside since he's younger and Santander/Hays are what they are at this point.  

But people are acting like the Orioles just demoted the second coming of Mickey Mantle, that Stowers is heads and shoulders above the other two.  And like I said, I'm tired of Hays and Santander but I'm not sure that Stowers is some kind of automatic upgrade that only people on the OH can see and that the Orioles management is completely oblivious to.

My issue is you said we have an emotional attachment to Stowers. That's not true with me at all. I just think he should be given every day PAs or at least 5 games a week PAs at the major league level and don't see any reason, and I mean zero reason, that they can't sit Hays, Santander or *gasp* Rutschman (so he's not burnt out by August) once or twice a week (depending on matchups). Heck, sit Mullins once a week too with Hays playing CF.

It's just all mindboggling that they keep sending the same lineup out there every game pretty much. yet none of their outfielders have been hit. Hell, take away that one 5-for-5 game and Hays has been downright bad this season.

It's not an emotional attachment to a player, it's that it's time to give that player a shot and they have enough PAs to make that happen with a little creativity. And you know what, maybe some of these guys will play better with more rest?

There should never have been an issue with getting Hays, Mullins, Santander and Stowers everyday PAs between the three outfield spots and DH. None.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

My issue is you said we have an emotional attachment to Stowers. That's not true with me at all. I just think he should be given every day PAs or at least 5 games a week PAs at the major league level and don't see any reason, and I mean zero reason, that they can't sit Hays, Santander or *gasp* Rutschman (so he's not burnt out by August) once or twice a week (depending on matchups). Heck, sit Mullins once a week too with Hays playing CF.

It's just all mindboggling that they keep sending the same lineup out there every game pretty much. yet none of their outfielders have been hit. Hell, take away that one 5-for-5 game and Hays has been downright bad this season.

It's not an emotional attachment to a player, it's that it's time to give that player a shot and they have enough PAs to make that happen with a little creativity. And you know what, maybe some of these guys will play better with more rest?

There should never have been an issue with getting Hays, Mullins, Santander and Stowers everyday PAs between the three outfield spots and DH. None.

Tony, I don't disagree with any of it.  

Except seeing Hays in CF.  Woof.

I'm just saying, I don't see Stowers as an automatic upgrade over the two.  That's it, that's all.  

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s just so odd. All you do is talk about your prospects and how highly they are ranked, etc…and then you block them with mediocre vets, some of which are expensive. You don’t move players, you don’t create space and you don’t field your most talented players.

I really don’t get it. 

What is odd about stockpiling talent on your 40 man roster and letting things figure themselves out?  They have to play 162 games, there will be injuries, there will be slumps.  We are two weeks into a 28 week season.  The overreactions are just that, overreactions.  Things will work themselves out.  If we are sitting here at week 20 and it’s the same line-up, Stowers has 50 ABs, and there have been no trades - sure that would be odd.  But to say they are are completely screwing up everything at this stage is a gigantic reach.  Living in absolutes is never a good thing.  Try to be a bit more objective and patient.  Remember when you told all of us O’Hearn would be in the lineup everyday because they are paying him 1.4mm and we were all idiots for signing the guy and there was no way he wasn’t getting ABs?   How’d that work out?  Maybe just maybe they are thinking outside the box and those thoughts don’t align with your preconceived notions?  Not a sermon, just a thought. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

What is odd about stockpiling talent on your 40 man roster and letting things figure themselves out?  They have to play 162 games, there will be injuries, there will be slumps.  We are two weeks into a 28 week season.  The overreactions are just that, overreactions.  Things will work themselves out.  If we are sitting here at week 20 and it’s the same line-up, Stowers has 50 ABs, and there have been no trades - sure that would be odd.  But to say they are are completely screwing up everything at this stage is a gigantic reach.  Living in absolutes is never a good thing.  Try to be a bit more objective and patient.  Remember when you told all of us O’Hearn would be in the lineup everyday because they are paying him 1.4mm and we were all idiots for signing the guy and there was no way he wasn’t getting ABs?   How’d that work out?  Maybe just maybe they are thinking outside the box and those thoughts don’t align with your preconceived notions?  Not a sermon, just a thought. 

Because the stockpiling isn’t happening at the ML level when you are playing definite role players and signing mediocre vets over playing the more talented, younger, healthier and more likely to help you long term players.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That is the one thing I don’t understand.  It seems they should have been able to rotate all those guys and and get everyone PAs and get everyone some rest.   It’s very curious why they don’t believe in Stowers.

Only thing I can figure is that they are using bat path tech we aren’t privy to, to determine who has best opportunity to square up balls and his graphs, trigger times, distance to balls on misses are worse than other players and they want to tweak that before throwing him to the wolves.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because the stockpiling isn’t happening at the ML level when you are playing definite role players and signing mediocre vets over playing the more talented, younger, healthier and more likely to help you long term players.

Again.  2 weeks.  162 games.  You can call me out and I’ll eat crow if that is still the case in July. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If the premise is that Stowers is a better player than Hays, I’d say that’s possible but not likely.  

I'd say as of today, that is extremely unlikely.  And the people who would be in the best place to know- those with the most information who are paid a lot of money to make such determinations- clearly don't think so.

13 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'd say as of today, that is extremely unlikely.  And the people who would be in the best place to know- those with the most information who are paid a lot of money to make such determinations- clearly don't think so.

I bet Stowers could put up a .715 OPS with a lot of strikeouts and middling defense.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I bet Stowers could put up a .715 OPS with a lot of strikeouts and middling defense.  

There's a lot of "I bet" and "I believe" in this thread.  That's great.  That's what message boards are for and the kind of discussions we all enjoy.

However, as I said earlier in the thread, the people who make the decisions clearly have very different opinions on these matters than their critics.  And frankly, they're in much better position to know.

P.S. I'll add that yeah, Hays' OPS is 715 now.  Two days ago it was close to 1000.  Would your bet seem so reasonable then?

Edited by Pickles

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tony, I don't disagree with any of it.  

Except seeing Hays in CF.  Woof.

I'm just saying, I don't see Stowers as an automatic upgrade over the two.  That's it, that's all.  

I'll be honest, none of really know what kind of player Stowers will be at the major league level. What we do know is he hit well enough at AAA to be given that chance, and it's not like the Orioles have three all-stars in the outfield currently. 

The fact that Hyde can't seem to fathom how to give him PAs against lefties because of Santander, Hays and McKenna all hit right handed makes me wonder if they really know how well he hit lefties in AAA.

I'm not going to sit here and say that Stowers is a future All-Star, but I do think he's deserves a chance to show what he has and if not this year, when? Stowers is young, cheap, and has upside. He has had success against both right-handed and left-handed in AAA. He's an adequate defensive outfielder no worse than Santander.  

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Pickles said:

And those people have made a lot of mistakes as well.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And those people have made a lot of mistakes as well.

Those people have turned a 47 win team into an 83 win team with a very bright future.  Everybody makes mistakes.  Not everybody does that.

Edited by Pickles