Could You Win More Games With This Team?

Bahama O's Fan

11 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I think you will see more teams doing this in the future.  162 games is insane.  Just because it’s always been that way or others teams don’t do it isn’t a good reason for me.  Only so many throws in an arm, jumps in the knees, and swings in the shoulders/hips/knees.  

When players are asked if they prefer to DH of course they are going to say no and give you a variety of reasons.  It’s about branding and maximizing your pay day.  A DH only gets paid less than a position player.  A player would be idiotic to say they prefer DHing.  Only reason a player is saying they don’t like DHing is because it hurts their bottom line.  Not having to prep for defensive duties and stress your body while performing can only be a good thing.  Again - I realize I’m in the minority in this thinking.  

At risk of sounding like a FO apologist, I applaud them for resting the players and moving players around to different positions.  It sure isn’t the traditional way to do things but very much believe it will be common place in the future of the game.  DH provides a way to keep dynamic players on the field and at optimal performance levels.  Recovery in any training scenario is a necessary part to improvement.  Injuries in all training & competitions typically occur when the athlete is fatigued.  

IIRC, the SF Giants have been limiting the max number of games for players in the last two years as well.  They use R/L matchups as a way to maximize the effectiveness of their days of rest too.  Multiple IF options allow that type of flexibility.  I assume that's part of why they were fine with giving Joc Pederson a QA this past offseason.

11 hours ago, emmett16 said:

At risk of sounding like a FO apologist, I applaud them for resting the players and moving players around to different positions.  It sure isn’t the traditional way to do things but very much believe it will be common place in the future of the game.  DH provides a way to keep dynamic players on the field and at optimal performance levels.  Recovery in any training scenario is a necessary part to improvement.  Injuries in all training & competitions typically occur when the athlete is fatigued.  

Does this team do that? The same players are in the lineup every day. They can’t even find a way to work in Stowers. 

34 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Does this team do that? The same players are in the lineup every day. They can’t even find a way to work in Stowers. 

Yes.  There have be quite a few different lineups and defensive configurations. 

Maybe they thought Stowers needed a ton of rest before making his 2023 AAA debut? 😂  (this is a joke)

Edited by emmett16

So far:

- Frazier has started 7 of 9 games at 2B, Urias has started the other 2.

- Urias has started 5 of 9 games at 3B, Henderson has started the other 4.

- Mateo has started 7 of 9 games at SS, Henderson started the other two.

- Henderson has started 2 games at DH.  Urias, Mateo and Frazier were on the bench the 2 days they didn’t start.

- So in total, Henderson has started 8 of 9 games, while Urias, Frazier and Mateo have started 7 of 9.   The one game Handerson didn’t start was because he had a sore hand from a hard grounder that went off his hand the day before.  He has the most PA of the four players.

I’m totally fine with that general rotation for now   Odds are that at some point someone will get injured and the rotation will change.   Or, someone will get hot/cold for a protracted period and the rotation will be adjusted a bit.  Meanwhile, everyone gets off their feet once in a while but is in the field most days.   Works for me.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

IIRC, the SF Giants have been limiting the max number of games for players in the last two years as well.  They use R/L matchups as a way to maximize the effectiveness of their days of rest too.  Multiple IF options allow that type of flexibility.  I assume that's part of why they were fine with giving Joc Pederson a QA this past offseason.

The Giants also haven't had a prospect as highly touted as Gunnar Henderson since probably Buster Posey. There's a big difference between playing R/L match-ups when you're trotting out guys like Joc Pederson and Darin Ruf on a regular basis. It's must more justifable (and needed). 

Yep, seems pretty reasonable to me.   I think people are making something out of nothing.   Gunnar has been available for 8 games and played in all of them, just 2 at DH.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So far:

- Henderson has started 2 games at DH.  Urias, Mateo and Frazier were on the bench the 2 days they didn’t start.

- So in total, Henderson has started 8 of 9 games, while Urias, Frazier and Mateo have started 7 of 9.   The one game Handerson didn’t start was because he had a sore hand from a hard grounder that went off his hand the day before.  He has the most PA of the four players.

I’m totally fine with that general rotation for now   Odds are that at some point someone will get injured and the rotation will change.   Or, someone will get hot/cold for a protracted period and the rotation will be adjusted a bit.  Meanwhile, everyone gets off their feet once in a while but is in the field most days.   Works for me.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

So far:

I think they said that Mateo didn't start one game because his hand was spiked and another because he had a sore foot.