Could You Win More Games With This Team?

Bahama O's Fan

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or trade one of them.  Or have one of them DH.

Gunnar's development is more important.

I think rest comes in to play.  Getting him off his feet once a week is a good idea IMO.  I know I’m in the minority in that thinking.  

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think rest comes in to play.  Getting him off his feet once a week is a good idea IMO.  I know I’m in the minority in that thinking.  

I'm not in favor of playing guys 160+ games.

But it's early April and he's 21.  I think he'll be OK without weekly games at DH.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not in favor of playing guys 160+ games.

But it's early April and he's 21.  I think he'll be OK without weekly games at DH.

I think giving a 21 y/o a day off to rest both physically and mentally will only help improve his offensive production.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think giving a 21 y/o a day off to rest both physically and mentally will only help improve his offensive production.  

Are we talking about a day off or a day at DH?

I don't think a day at DH counts as a day off mentally.  I think for a lot of players it's more stressful than a day in the field.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are we talking about a day off or a day at DH?

I don't think a day at DH counts as a day off mentally.  I think for a lot of players it's more stressful than a day in the field.

DH.  Gives him a chance to focus on hitting.  I don’t buy the DH being more stressful.  Especially for a guy playing SS who is adjusting his positioning every pitch and fielding 115mph lasers. I’d give him a full day off once a month. 

I think Gunnar should have to show that he’s a better defender than Urias/Mateo before being handed the keys to a position.  If he’s the better talent from a defensive perspective, prove it.

Can we just skip ahead to the part where we whine about his batting suffering because of where he stands on the infield dirt not being consistent?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Gunnar should have to show that he’s a better defender than Urias/Mateo before being handed the keys to a position.  If he’s the better talent from a defensive perspective, prove it.

Can we just skip ahead to the part where we whine about his batting suffering because of where he stands on the infield dirt not being consistent?

I think that’s ultimately what they are doing.  Urias and Mateo are the priority play and they are giving Gunnar a chance to show what’s he got.  I think it’s flat out amazing we have all the options we do.  I dont buy the “it hurts his development” stuff.  These guys play 162 games a year and are improving their craft 10 months out of the year if not more.  Ample opportunity to improve, get reps, show your talent. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

DH.  Gives him a chance to focus on hitting.  I don’t buy the DH being more stressful.  Especially for a guy playing SS who is adjusting his positioning every pitch and fielding 115mph lasers. I’d give him a full day off once a month. 

I sure don't buy it being less stressful. 

16 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I guess my problem with it is I can't think of a single scenario in recent years where a high end young prospect (who wasn't a defensive liability) was used at DH with some regularity in recent years. It just seems silly to me. I'm also not quite sure I buy DH being less stressful. I imagine most young players don't like it because it takes them out of the flow of the game. And again, if you look at he majority of other DHs in baseball they're mostly defensive liabilities so it seems like Santander's name should be be written in that spot in pen. 

35 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I guess my problem with it is I can't think of a single scenario in recent years where a high end young prospect (who wasn't a defensive liability) was used at DH with some regularity in recent years. It just seems silly to me. I'm also not quite sure I buy DH being less stressful. I imagine most young players don't like it because it takes them out of the flow of the game. And again, if you look at he majority of other DHs in baseball they're mostly defensive liabilities so it seems like Santander's name should be be written in that spot in pen. 

I think you will see more teams doing this in the future.  162 games is insane.  Just because it’s always been that way or others teams don’t do it isn’t a good reason for me.  Only so many throws in an arm, jumps in the knees, and swings in the shoulders/hips/knees.  

When players are asked if they prefer to DH of course they are going to say no and give you a variety of reasons.  It’s about branding and maximizing your pay day.  A DH only gets paid less than a position player.  A player would be idiotic to say they prefer DHing.  Only reason a player is saying they don’t like DHing is because it hurts their bottom line.  Not having to prep for defensive duties and stress your body while performing can only be a good thing.  Again - I realize I’m in the minority in this thinking.  

At risk of sounding like a FO apologist, I applaud them for resting the players and moving players around to different positions.  It sure isn’t the traditional way to do things but very much believe it will be common place in the future of the game.  DH provides a way to keep dynamic players on the field and at optimal performance levels.  Recovery in any training scenario is a necessary part to improvement.  Injuries in all training & competitions typically occur when the athlete is fatigued.  

Edited by emmett16

The problem was created by ME when he signed "he who must not be named". IMHO Hyde is a little like Buck in the veteranosity (Odor) department; he dislikes some players skill sets and it impacts playing time. Buck (Kim, Cortez) and Hyde (Stowers, Vavra), at least last year. Urias is lucky to hold up for 400 ABs so he should play 1/3 at 3B and 1/3 at 2B. Mateo wore out last year at 500 ABs so unless he shows he is reborn at the plate he should be limited to about 450 ABs all at SS. The rest of 3B (400 ABs) or SS (150 ABs) should go to Gunnar. If he fails to overcome his weakness vs lefties, more ABs to Urias or Vavra at 3B. There is no freaking way that Gunnar at DH is good for his development and now way Santander in RF is good for the team when Stowers sits.

I believe ME and Sig have plans and programs for each player and Sig's computer sets the roster. They likely have probabilities of success for each player for each game and matchup. Guys like Stowers and Vavra don't have enough of a record for Sig's bot to evaluate on stats alone. Enter the vetereanosity component and Stowers sits and then goes down. Wait until one of the AAAA LH 1B-DH reclamation projects takes his spot. Was Stowers usage a ME vs Hyde scenario like DD vs Buck for Teagarten??? TBD

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Or they're older players who can still hit, but lost their defensive ability in the field. With Gunnar, I would hope he doesn't reach that point until 15 years from now.

6 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

The problem is Mateo and Urias aren't part of the long term future of this team and Henderson is. He needs to get reps and when Mateo's bat cools down it's going to be an absolute disservice to his development if he doesn't at the expense of Mateo / Urias. If the team and/or Hyde was so concerned about getting those guys ABs they shouldn't have signed Frazier. 

Not having the defensive talents of Urias and Mateo on the left side of the IF would do a grave disservice to Orioles pitchers.  That's established.  How much of a finishing school to you think a major league team - any major league team - ought to be?  I happen to think that Henderson has the offensive and defensive chops to stick at 3B and maybe even SS, but you don't get to kick Mateo and Urias to the side because your opinion is that Henderson is "the future of the team".  Too early to tell.  Maybe his ceiling is the IF equivalent of Matt Wieters.

Henderson has the obvious talent to warrant a good long look, but ultimately he needs to earn his reps and a lot of us are hoping that he starts to do a better job of that soon.