The 2023 attendance thread

Frobby

5 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm more worried about him signing a lease to ensure the team remains the Baltimore Orioles, and he's not going to pull a Mayflower truck in the middle of night on fans. 

"I mean, I'd love to have that as an All-Star break gift for everybody, really, in the community," Angelos said. "There's just no there there other than we're going to get that done. And that's always been one of the things I committed to. I have no intention of not seeing that happen, and I know the governor and his folks are just as keen on it as we are."

Beware of Angelos baring gifts. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm more worried about him signing a lease to ensure the team remains the Baltimore Orioles, and he's not going to pull a Mayflower truck in the middle of night on fans. 

Zero chance of this happening.

People really need to stop thinking about this because there is no chance of it happening.

Now, if they sell it, maybe you worry about that owner moving the team but the Angelos family isn’t going to move this team.

That should be the least of your worries.  They can only move with MLB's approval and that would not be considered until after expansion.  Why would the owners allow the Orioles (an established albiet unperforming asset) to move to an attractive market when owners can divide the expansion fee (roughly $4.4b for two teams-roughly $73m per team).  If the Orioles were to move (after expansion) to a less attractive option I still don't believe it would be approved - too many hurdIes (a new stadium,funding, the cost of moving, MLB and PA tacit approval, going back on PA's desire to have a team for Baltimore).  You can sleep at night, they aren't moving.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 10:07 AM, Going Underground said:

"I mean, I'd love to have that as an All-Star break gift for everybody, really, in the community," Angelos said. "There's just no there there other than we're going to get that done. And that's always been one of the things I committed to. I have no intention of not seeing that happen, and I know the governor and his folks are just as keen on it as we are."

Translation: I really want to sign the lease but how about some more money.

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Before today, the Orioles were 20th in average home attendance at 20,424, just a few hundred behind the Nats and Twins.

By my arithmetic, today's 25,124 moves the Orioles to 20,605, just ahead of the Nats for 19th in MLB.

That's pretty good for the weekend. Let's hope that it picks up in the summer with schools closing soon. 

On 5/16/2023 at 9:33 AM, Frobby said:

I am not someone who reflexively bashes ownership at every turn, but let’s be clear: at their current payroll, the O’s are extremely profitable, and they can easily afford to add payroll at the deadline regardless of any attendance increase.   

:notworthy:

On 5/16/2023 at 10:07 AM, Going Underground said:

I misread the last line, I thought it said grifts.

You can understand my mistake.

Coming into today, they were 10 out of 15 in the AL in attendance.  And on pace to draw roughly 1.5-6 M fans.  Of course with the way they're playing, and the presumption that crowds will be bigger in the summer than in the spring, it's not unfeasible to see them drawing 1.8 M fans.

For perspective, they drew under 800 K in 2021 and 1.36 M last year.  

We've discussed it before, and we all acknowledge the Golden Days of 3.5 M a year aren't coming back, but a playoff appearance could put the organization in position to plan for 2+ M fans next season, and hopefully with continued good play, maintain 2-2.4 M attendance annually.  That should allow them the financial wherewithal to maintain long-term competitiveness.  

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

We've discussed it before, and we all acknowledge the Golden Days of 3.5 M a year aren't coming back,

I blame the Montreal Expos for that. They poached our territory. And all the front office executives from 2001-2011 are also partially to blame for failing to compete with Washington for fans. (And as a side note, I really hope we are valuing our fans from North Carolina who have supported the Orioles for generations.)

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I blame the Montreal Expos for that. They poached our territory. And all the front office executives from 2001-2011 are also partially to blame for failing to compete with Washington for fans. (And as a side note, I really hope we are valuing our fans from North Carolina who have supported the Orioles for generations.)

Spectrum dropped MASN in parts of NC.

d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net
https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net › ...PDF
IMPORTANT PROGRAMMING CHANGE: - cloudfront.net
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/2023-03/Drop%20MASN%20MASN2_March%202023_Carolinas_EasternNC_NC.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjxxtfM7Zn_AhV1D1kFHU0tCeIQFnoECBYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3C7_z_agy-PeyVrvJOYPt-