Austin Voth 2023

HakunaSakata

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He has gone 2 innings or more 5 times and only once did he go more than 2 innings.

Yet we want to put him in the rotation and demote GRod? SMH.  The ideas just get worse and worse.

Basically the same amount of effective inning G Rod gets per start, huh

5 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

All of the Norfolk lefties have earned some consideration as of late. Drew Rom earned himself a promotion but he never got to pitch. I think it would be better to have a LHP as a starter anyway than convert another starter to the bullpen. DL Hall had a nice start last week himself, and the franchise has a lot of hope for him.

Pretty sure the call would come for Irvin.   He’s got a proven track record, eats a lot of innings, and appears to have gotten over his early season command problems.  He doesn’t strike anyone out, but that’s life.  

That said, I don’t think the O’s will remove Grayson from the rotation very readily.  He’s been inconsistent and has a lot to learn, but it’s not like he’s crapping the bed every start.   If he’s horrible 3 times in a row there might be rumblings.  

50 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I guess Tampa hitting their HR's at the wrong times saved him from that.

Let’s just say Grayson managed that game better than he managed the one last night.   But I’ll take 5.2 IP, 2 ER any time, even if it could have been worse.  We’ll see if he can bounce back against a tough Blue Jays lineup.  

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s just say Grayson managed that game better than he managed the one last night.   But I’ll take 5.2 IP, 2 ER any time, even if it could have been worse.  We’ll see if he can bounce back against a tough Blue Jays lineup.  

Setting aside the ER, would you want 7 H/2 BB, and 2 HR per 6 inning start? The result was good but there's not much else to like about that start, and it was sandwiched between two really bad ones. I am fine with keeping him in the rotation for now but the leash is getting tighter.

If Grayson gets pulled, I would expect the same Vavra-Ortiz matchup game to be played with Voth-Irvin, or whoever is next up on the depth chart.

Who's fresh - how does your arsenal interact with today's opponent.     None of them are strong enough for a big commitment of reps.   

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Setting aside the ER, would you want 7 H/2 BB, and 2 HR per 6 inning start? The result was good but there's not much else to like about that start, and it was sandwiched between two really bad ones. I am fine with keeping him in the rotation for now but the leash is getting tighter.

I agree the leash is getting tighter.  I was at the Tampa game and there were things to like.  He bore down with runners on base.  He threw tons of pitches in the first inning and was able to be pitch efficient after that.  Two homers aren’t great, but I don’t equate solo shots leading off an inning with three run shots after your team has just handed you a lead for the second time in the game.  

Like I said, I think it would take 3 straight bad outings for the O’s to consider sending him down. The count is at one so far as I’m concerned. 

58 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Why?

41 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well Voth isn't stretched out as a starter, for one. He's 2-3 innings right now. 

That's one reason. I also think Irvin/Hall and to a lesser extent Rom are guys with potential to stick in the rotation for the long term including future seasons. I see Voth as a fine long reliever/spot starter, but not someone I want holding a rotation spot in "the plan." When there are several viable guys performing well enough in AAA I'd rather try them first. 

I think it’s a little odd to see how willingly people are discarding Austin Voth. 

I do absolutely understand that his career numbers are unimpressive (or worse). And that he was dreadful in spring training.

But the last pitcher to post a better season ERA than Voth’s 3.04 mark from last season (with more than 15 starts) for this club was Mike Mussina in 1992. Maybe that’s a little misleading due to the depressed run environment last year, but the only guys since 2000 to exceed his 130 ERA+ in that many starts are Bedard (2007), Bergesen (2009), and Means (2019). 

He did that with a very respectable 3.83 FIP in those starts, and after a rough start to this year out of the pen, he’s strung together a pretty strong 10-outing run of success (2.08 ERA, 2.46 FIP, .435 OPSA). 

I don’t know that he needs to be in the rotation, particularly because he’s always struggled with length and isn’t presently stretched out. But as I said, I do find it odd that folks are just freely casting this dude aside. I think he’s much closer to the Kremer/Bradish/Wells/Irvin discussion than the AAAA Watkins/Zimmermann/Akin group some seem to want to lump him in with.

I think Voth has found his niche and the Orioles have figured out that he's not a guy you get up quick and get him into a game. Saying that, I'm not totally against him going back into the rotation if needed. 

Now when does that need occur? Well that depends on the health of Gibson, Wells, Kremer and Bradish, and Rodriguez's ability to bounce back from two bad starts in his last 3 outings. 

For now, I think he provides some length and can save the bullpen from getting overused (although Hyde seems determined to do this no matter what).

• Tony-OH changed the title to Austin Voth 2023
  • 4 weeks later...