Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

That hurt 

You have feelings? I had no idea. 😉

To your point, it’s not necessarily wrong that he’s been one of the best closers over the last calendar year, but it can’t be denied that he’s been very different from where he was last year. 

He’s all over the place this year. I don’t know how he can continue to close games with the walk rate and the WHIP that he has. 

26 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He has struggled but still is getting it done. I have to imagine he will find it again.  I feel more comfortable with Baker at the moment not to mention Cano. 

Baker terrifies me. I might go to Coulombe over Baker right now to be honest.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

To your point, it’s not necessarily wrong that he’s been one of the best closers over the last calendar year, but it can’t be denied that he’s been very different from where he was last year. 

He’s all over the place this year. I don’t know how he can continue to close games with the walk rate and the WHIP that he has. 

I’m starting to get some Jim Johnson in 2013 vibes. If Bautista has a sore shoulder or dead arm maybe it’s best he takes a 10 day stint on the IL. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Sure. His command isn’t as good. I still think the lack of a full and normal spring training has hurt him and he’s being used a lot early on.

I can’t say I’m necessarily worried about him but I definitely feel a little less confident in him.

Otoh, his stuff is so good that he has been able to get away with things but I agree he can’t keep letting baserunners on and it not cost him.

This was something we talked about all offseason…can these “guys that came out of nowhere” continue to play at a high level.

Its been a mixed bag so far for sure.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure. His command isn’t as good. I still think the lack of a full and normal spring training has hurt him and he’s being used a lot early on.

I can’t say I’m necessarily worried about him but I definitely feel a little less confident in him.

Otoh, his stuff is so good that he has been able to get away with things but I agree he can’t keep letting baserunners on and it not cost him.

This was something we talked about all offseason…can these “guys that came out of nowhere” continue to play at a high level.

Its been a mixed bag so far for sure.

Yeah, no one can deny the raw talent and you’re right he can get away with things.

But if he keeps up this rate of allowing baserunners, it’ll catch up eventually. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, no one can deny the raw talent and you’re right he can get away with things.

But if he keeps up this rate of allowing baserunners, it’ll catch up eventually. 

Yea because he will have outings where he walks a few and then gets some bs hits or something like that.

That’s how a guy like that will get beat and of course, the occasional homer.

I'm definitely concerned.  I think he's healthy and imagine the velo decrease is about trying to find his control.  Still, he's really wild up there.  Givens can't get here soon enough.  Wish I felt better about Tate contributing this year.  Cano has been an incredible find.

Edited by Ripken

On 5/5/2023 at 3:06 AM, Jagwar said:

Maybe I was mistaken about his splitter effectiveness. He threw one 50-footer that looked like a blocking drill for a catcher. 

He has not been sharp in many of his outings so far. This one stood out to me because it was a 32 pitch mess with pitches all over the zone. He and the coaches needs to figure out what is going on mechanically and fix it, or the better lineups in the league are going to hang blown saves on him. 

Even last year, I never thought he exactly knew where everything was going. He was riding a grove. If he just throws a tad fewer 50 footers, gets a bit more just outside the zone, and mixes in a few more nasty strikes in a beguiling sequence he will be golden. Easier said than done, LOL.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Velocity drop is a big concern and shouldn't be dismissed. I'm thinking injury or arm fatigue.

His velocity got better during the appearance though so that usually means more mechanics then injury.   His command also was issue though he did strike Lowe out twice to start the 9th but the home plate ump missed a strike and the 3rd base ump missed a check swing that was a swing and would been a strikeout.  

40 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Maybe Hyde can try Bautista in the 8th inning and Cano the 9th inning.

Cano excels in his setup role though and like Frobby said, its arguably just as important. And It makes sense to use Felix in a role were there's usually not runners on base with his wildness.