Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Koji went 34 innings over 32 consecutive appearances in 2010 without a walk.   Then the season ended, and he went another 3.2 the next year at the start of the year.  

Difference being that Koji was known for his command. This guy went from being a disaster in that area to this. It’s pretty incredible!

More fun with Cano’s stats:

In 2016, when Zack Britton had the best year for a reliever ever, his final WHIP was 0.84. We all remember how dominant he was that year. Game was simply over after the 8th inning. Cano has a WHIP of 0.185. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dystopia said:

More fun with Cano’s stats:

In 2016, when Zack Britton had the best year for a reliever ever, his final WHIP was 0.84. We all remember how dominant he was that year. Game was simply over after the 8th inning. Cano has a WHIP of 0.185. 

Sure, but let me know what it is when the year is over.  If it’s still 0.185, I expect we will have won the World Series. 

Cano is on pace for a 7 WAR season as a relief pitcher. I expect that pace will come down, but as a comparison Zack Britton put a 4.1 WAR season in 2016. Even if Cano was expected to be a good relief pitcher his season would be amazing, but he's doing it as pitcher who struggled in his stint with the Twins and he was really wild.

36 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cano is on pace for a 7 WAR season as a relief pitcher. I expect that pace will come down, but as a comparison Zack Britton put a 4.1 WAR season in 2016. Even if Cano was expected to be a good relief pitcher his season would be amazing, but he's doing it as pitcher who struggled in his stint with the Twins and he was really wild.

Here we all were thinking Gunnar might earn us a pick with a ROY run. And Yennier might be running away with the ROY instead. (But wasn't a Top 100 prospect = no pick.)

On 5/16/2023 at 10:50 PM, baltfan said:

Really good article, but I'm not sure why the author seems to think the Lopez trade was an "unpopular trade in his new hometown" and then doubled down by saying the trade was a "somewhat surprising and hardly well-received decision.'

By whom? The trade was certainly well received around here by most people since it included a nice starting pitching prospect in Povich and the emergence of Bautista as a Lopez replacement. Maybe the twitter knuckleheads didn't like the trade, but not sure why he's so convinced the hometown disliked the trade that acquired Cano.

Now I fully agree that Cano was a throw in.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Really good article, but I'm not sure why the author seems to think the Lopez trade was an "unpopular trade in his new hometown" and then doubled down by saying the trade was a "somewhat surprising and hardly well-received decision.'

By whom? The trade was certainly well received around here by most people since it included a nice starting pitching prospect in Povich and the emergence of Bautista as a Lopez replacement. Maybe the twitter knuckleheads didn't like the trade, but not sure why he's so convinced the hometown disliked the trade that acquired Cano.

Now I full agree that Cano was a throw in.

That was the one thing in the article that I thought was a little odd too.  I thought even the general consensus among baseball people was it was a good trade for both. 

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There were plenty of posts on this site against the trade. Hell there have been posts in the past couple weeks saying the trade was unnecessary, we could have gotten Cano without giving up Lopez, we didn’t make the playoffs because we traded Lopez.  And plenty of people here and elsewhere saw it as Elias punting our playoff run last year.  It’s hardly a hot take to say it wasn’t well received. 

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Some of us saw Cano as a little more than a throw in.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The trade was panned nationally. A segment of people on this site aren’t really known in a case like this. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The trade was panned nationally. A segment of people on this site aren’t really known in a case like this. 

I’d take it a step further and say that any team trading away it’s good players while in contention is going to get panned by the casual fan base and most main stream media regardless of the return. The same fans that expect their team to sign every good FA to a 200 mil extension without considering the long term implications.

Way more of those out there than hangouters and other hardcores.

Edited by ChuckS

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I'm known nationally.

(but I guess being on a Post Office bulletin board isn't the same as being a pundit)