The 2023 high water mark thread

Frobby

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

14-7 and not even close to 1st place. Tampa is unreal. Great little run for the O's. Keep it going against the Red Sox. 

I’m not concerned with first place right now.  I’m concerned with piling up as many wins as we can.  Just keep winning series, and things will work out fine.  

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

"night is day, up is down, black is white. " The Orioles were 7 - 14 after 21 games last year.

Well, I sure hope we’re not going to go 65-76 the rest of the year, which would be the opposite of what we did the rest of last year.  

• Haha 2

I was curious and looked back through previous seasons on baseball reference this evening.  The last time the Orioles won more than 14 games through their first 21 games played was 1968 when they won 15.

Including this season, they've won 14 games through their first 21 exactly 8 times since 1968 ('69, '70, '85, '94, '97, '05, '17).  

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

I was curious and looked back through previous seasons on baseball reference this evening.  The last time the Orioles won more than 14 games through their first 21 games played was 1968 when they won 15.

Including this season, they've won 14 games through their first 21 exactly 8 times since 1968 ('69, '70, '85, '94, '97, '05, '17).  

Interesting we only made the postseason in 3 of those 6 years we started 14- 7.

12 hours ago, Big Mac said:

Those 2005 and 2017 seasons serve as a good reminder that a 14-7 start doesn’t really prove anything.  It still beats being 7-14.   

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The high water mark probably comes at the end of this 15 game stretch.

They should come out of this 13+ games over 500.  If that would be the high water mark and they sustain that till the end of the year, they win 87-88 games.

What 15-game stretch do you mean?  Starting now?   You’re saying they should do better than 10-5 in the next 15 games?   Honestly, I’d never expect that, no matter who the opponents are.  

By the same token, I won’t be that happy if the O’s play .500 baseball over their last 126 games, even though the schedule becomes much tougher.   (But if we win 87-88 games on the year, I’d consider that to be very solid progress, even though not thrilling.)

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What 15-game stretch do you mean?  Starting now?   You’re saying they should do better than 10-5 in the next 15 games?   Honestly, I’d never expect that, no matter who the opponents are.  

By the same token, I won’t be that happy if the O’s play .500 baseball over their last 126 games, even though the schedule becomes much tougher.   (But if we win 87-88 games on the year, I’d consider that to be very solid progress, even though not thrilling.)

The 15 game stretch they are in.  They are 5-0.

10 left. Really go no worse than 6-4.

But I was thinking 11-4 in my head, so I was adding another 7 games above 500 onto where we are now.  That was my mistake there.

So, I think we should be 9-10 games over 500 once the next 10 games are done.  How much more over 500 we get than that is obviously tbd but I wouldn’t be surprised if that ends up the high water mark or at least something close to it.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The 15 game stretch they are in.  They are 5-0.

10 left. Really go no worse than 6-4.

But I was thinking 11-4 in my head, so I was adding another 7 games above 500 onto where we are now.  That was my mistake there.

So, I think we should be 9-10 games over 500 once the next 10 games are done.  How much more over 500 we get than that is obviously tbd but I wouldn’t be surprised if that ends up the high water mark or at least something close to it.

That makes more sense.  Hope you’re right that we go 6-4 or better over the next ten, but I’m not taking it for granted.  As to the rest of the season, we’ll see.  So many things can happen, both good and bad.