Oscar Salazar removed from 40 man roster

jeffstonefan

Knott hit for a 819 OPS in his 5th year in AAA?

Color me unimpressed.

Does this somehow preclude him from being able to hit at ML level? I believe it's his defense that keeps him down but some teams have worse players in the outfield than Knott. He'd be cheaper and better than guys like Geoff Jenkins, to be sure.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a ridiculous comparison.:rolleyestf:

If you want me to use a more realistic example, the point would still stand. Hindsight is 20/20, and this isn't something MacPhail could foresee, assuming he wasn't discussing it with every other team.

Speaking or Scott Moore, I realize he had not such a good season, but notice a trend here?
April  .184	.286	.306	.592	May    .221	.272	.395	.667	June   .284	.339	.422	.761	July   .279	.404	.512	.916

Not a prospect anymore but he's still relatively young at 25!

As AM and DT keep telling us in their words and their actions, there's more to life (and to one's chances of making the OD roster) than a good bat. Think about why Moore is still on the 40-man while Oscar was outrighted.

Caveat -- I concede that the age difference may have been a factor. My strong hunch, however, is that Moore's glove, clearly better than Oscar's across the board, superior to Huff's across the infield corners, and versatile enough to make him an emergency option at 2B and corner OF, gives him a leg up in the event they decide to go with 12 pitchers. If he has a monster Spring like last year, I could even envision him landing the starting 1B job, probably with Scott traded. Far-fetched? Yes. Entirely implausible? I don't think so. It sure would be a much stronger defensive alignment than what we have now, which is what the big guys so clearly want.

This is just hilarious. All the MacPhail bashers and the Knott, House, Salazar, (insert AAAA player here) lovers were wailing away on MacPhail a week ago for such a stupid move, and Holy Bat Testicles Batman, 29 other teams passed on him as well, and here he is, back where we started 7 days ago, without exposing anyone else to waivers. Just makes me chuckle at some of the mindless tirades we go on without having a clue or an inkling of all of the information involved in FO decisions. I guess us Hangouters aren't as smart as we think we are! :mwahaha:

This is just hilarious. All the MacPhail bashers and the Knott, House, Salazar, (insert AAAA player here) lovers were wailing away on MacPhail a week ago for such a stupid move, and Holy Bat Testicles Batman, 29 other teams passed on him as well, and here he is, back where we started 7 days ago, without exposing anyone else to waivers. Just makes me chuckle at some of the mindless tirades we go on without having a clue or an inkling of all of the information involved in FO decisions. I guess us Hangouters aren't as smart as we think we are! :mwahaha:

I agree 100%, and said so here ^^^^^^

O's Salazar clears waivers

Infielder outrighted to Norfolk

By a baltimoresun.com reporter

4:23 PM EST, January 26, 2009

Infielder Oscar Salazar has cleared waivers and been outrighted to Triple-A Norfolk, the Orioles announced in a news release.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-osnotes126,0,6979107.story

AM obviously understands the value of the players in our system better than we do. He is going to be in ST and will get his shot to make the impression everyone seems to think he will.

I still say that Salazar playing in the WBC hurts his chances of making a major league team. Any major league team. If he is not in camp to fight for a spot then he probably wouldn't win one.

Every GM that might have the need for a righthanded bench player would like to have that player in camp to fight of the job.

Tell that to all the whiners that freaked out when he was first put on waivers.

There wasn't much left to complain about with MacPhail's job this winter, so they turned to predicting the apocalypse after a 30-year-old career minor leaguer was put on waivers. It happened. Check the thread.

I think AM is going out of his way this winter to make many of the whiners look stupid. I'm really, really trying to refrain from topping the original thread just to call out how ridiculous some of the comments are.

For those of you who like to act like everything that goes on is proof Andy is clueless, there is a reason Andy has his job and you have yours.

I think wild overreactions and knee-jerk defenses of the front office are a lot more of a problem than a few guys saying "it would be nice if the team valued Ken Phelps All Stars who can hit over random arms with track records of abysmal failure like Alfredo Simon."

Mild criticism of relatively minor moves can be made without the Andy MacPhail Defense Fund feeling a need to file a round of lawsuits.

I'll repeat from another thread:

I think wild overreactions and knee-jerk defenses of the front office are a lot more of a problem than a few guys saying "it would be nice if the team valued Ken Phelps All Stars who can hit over random arms with track records of abysmal failure like Alfredo Simon."

Mild criticism of relatively minor moves can be made without the Andy MacPhail Defense Fund feeling a need to file a round of lawsuits.

I think this was a fairly easy decision for AM. Salazar wasn't going to make the OD roster. He would have needed to pass through waivers at the end of ST in order to go to AAA. MacPhail realized they would have a better chance of passing him through now rather then waiting until the end of the spring.

One of these days one of those AAAA guys is going to go somewhere else and become a good everyday player.

Oh, I forgot. Jack Cust is already that guy.

Yeah. What I was saying.

Cust: .947 minor league OPS

Salazar: .804 minor league OPS

They really aren't comparable.

Look, every time a GM DFA's a guy he is making a determination of who has a decent chance to get through waivers without a claim. In this case, MacPhail's judgment turned out to be right.

Archived