Oscar Salazar removed from 40 man roster

jeffstonefan

I would say the timing is what helped here. If the Orioles were to make the move during or at the end of ST, he would have been claimed IMO. But rosters are pretty much almost set for most clubs. If the Orioles try to DFA him again after calling him up during the season, I bet he'll be claimed then as well.

For now it looks like Andy was able to sneak a fastball down the middle of the plate...

So what you're saying is that this was a pretty canny move by MacPhail, right? I agree, he is a very quick-thinking GM, and Mark Teixeira is a bad player.

I'm just assuming from your response that straight up trolling is on the table now, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the choice was simple. Cutting a pitcher, even a Burris probably wouldn't have gotten through waivers, pitching is at such a premium. Salazar was the better risk.

Burres should have been non-tendered anyway.

We need good pitching, not just pitching in general.

Burres, Simon and Waters were all expendable before Salazar.

Quick question. Say you waive Burres, and another team claims him.

Do you send that GM a thank you card or a sympathy card? :wedge:

Your question wasn't directed to me, but I would certainly send that GM a thank you card. As I said early in this thread, I would have sent Burres packing before I would have let Salazar go.

But the move was not a statement of who was more expendable but rather who can you get through waivers and not lose. And the move that AM made worked. Who here on the OH (and even in the warehouse) would have thought that Garrett Olson would fetch Felix Pie? Higher costs veterans are not getting the contract offers they want and so I guess cheaper pitching options are more attractive - even with questionable track records.

I would say the timing is what helped here. If the Orioles were to make the move during or at the end of ST, he would have been claimed IMO. But rosters are pretty much almost set for most clubs. If the Orioles try to DFA him again after calling him up during the season, I bet he'll be claimed then as well.

For now it looks like Andy was able to sneak a fastball down the middle of the plate...

That's a lot of typing to say "I was wrong. letters ....." :scratchchinhmm:

He won't...

Just another stupid roster move by the Orioles who are too obsessed with lousy pitchers.

Why the heck didn't we DFA Simon or Burres for crying out loud?

So who is going to defend MacPhail for this brilliant move?

I fixed that for ya.;)

If we had a logjam of solid pitchers, I could see it. But to let someone like Salazar go to make sure you have room to keep a bunch of bum pitchers around seems foolish. But heck, who needs a serviceable bench anyhow? I like what AM has been doing lately, but this seems kind of silly. It's not the end of the world - after all, it is only Salazar - but why do re refuse to use guys like this who could strengthen our bench?

I can't wait for the myriad of Macphail bashers who will state how :eek:lucky:eek: Macphail was that his dumb decision didn't cost the O's!!!!!

Case in Point!!!

Truth be told all 4 (including Oscar) are candidates to be waived. Look Below.

1. January 24, 2002: Selected off waivers by the Detroit Tigers from the Oakland Athletics.

2. July 31, 2002: Selected off waivers by the New York Mets from the Detroit Tigers.

3. October 15, 2003: Granted Free Agency.

4. January 26, 2004: Signed as a Free Agent with the Cleveland Indians

5. June 18, 2004: Released by the Cleveland Indians.

6. Spent 2005 and 2006 in Mexico. Cancun....nice place to visit.

7. Signed by the Orioles in 2007 and became the latest AAAA hero......see Jon Knott, Walter Young etc.

8. 2009 released by the Orioles and no one claimed him. Sent to Norfolk

Oscar has value in that he provides organizational depth but the more he plays (esp. against RH pitching) the less love he will see on this board.

It's almost sad when some posters blast AM and even after every other General Manager in baseball takes the same position as AM the posters are STILL unwilling to admit that they went overboard. C'mon. Just say it, AM made the right call here.

Archived