Oscar Salazar removed from 40 man roster

jeffstonefan

Now th at he has cleared waivers, can we send him back and forth from the minors again or must he clear each time? (This season)

If he get promote to the major league roster again then if they want to send him back to the minors he has to clear waivers again. That the way it is every time someone is send down after a player is out for options.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great news. Glad to see him clear waivers and get back with the big club (in some capacity). He best be on the roster on OD. Our bench is pretty pitiful in the power department.

I like Salazar. I think he can play a role on a ML team. But, he wasn't considered worth a waiver claim by any team in baseball. IOW, no other team was willing to give him a spot on a 40 man roster, much less a 25 man roster. And, you insist he must be on our opening day roster?

I just think the whole "Oh my, how could AM risk losing Oscar Salazar" issue has been grossly overblown.

Oh please. There's no chance in heck another team would sign a 30 year old veteran minor league 1B/DH who plays average defense and only hits righties.
Care to wager?
What's the bet? Twenty bucks?

I'm in. I'll bet twenty bucks he passes through waivers.

I wouldn't take your money LookinUp; I knew from the get-go he would pass through waivers. Was never a doubt in my mind. ;)

Truth of the matter is that Salazar is not versatile enough to slot in anywhere with an NL team, and has barely proven anything in the MLB by 30 years old to be taken as anything other than a high risk high reward option at 1B/DH, of which there are few openings in Majors for.

Great news. Glad to see him clear waivers and get back with the big club (in some capacity). He best be on the roster on OD. Our bench is pretty pitiful in the power department.

Oscar has now been thrrough this about a half dozen times. Frankly, he is more valuable not taking up a 40 man roster spot. Like last year he can be called up when we need him. I do noit espect him to make the OD roster, but he could make an appearance when we play in the NL parks. There is more demand for him when a ponch hitter is needed.

If there was such a thing as baseball poker... and AM was playing against all of us... he'd prably win.

You're right, and for a couple of reasons.

1. He's actually played baseball poker for the past umpteen years and we only slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

2. He can read the other players to the point where he knows what the other guys are holding so he knows when he can afford to go all in with guy like Salazar or fold his cards and refused to get suckered into playing a hand he can't win with a guy like Teixeira. We couldn't hide our tells from him if we were Phil Locke wearing a hoddie, sunglasses, and playing over the internet.

You forgot to mention that Salazar has some idea what the strike zone is, while Brazell has plate discipline that only Mariano Duncan could love. Oh, and Brazell is a first baseman who once tried to play the outfield and ended up with an .818 fielding percentage.

Brazell hit .234/.294/.446 last year for Seibu in the Japanese League. That's probably a sub-.700 OPS in the majors. Oscar Salazar's translated line from 2008 is .270/.322/.451. The single biggest difference between the two players is 30 or 40 points of on-base percentage, which Brazell's power doesn't begin to compensate for.

Salazar would make for an adequate PH/utility guy/platoon starter. Brazell might make for a nice draw in batting practice.

If you look at the numbers they appear very similar. As for the glove, I will admit that I have never seen Brazell catch or throw a ball, but I have seen Oscar and it is not pretty. I do not think Oscar could play a decent left field either. The point of my original post was that people were making too much of the Salazar removal from the 40. Oscar is a career minor leaguer, and those types are always available in baseball.

Truth of the matter is that Salazar is not versatile enough to slot in anywhere with an NL team, and has barely proven anything in the MLB by 30 years old to be taken as anything other than a high risk high reward option at 1B/DH, of which there are few openings in Majors for.

He can hit a little with some power, but a defensive liability. I would like to think we can do better, but I won't hold my breath.

I would say the timing is what helped here. If the Orioles were to make the move during or at the end of ST, he would have been claimed IMO. But rosters are pretty much almost set for most clubs. If the Orioles try to DFA him again after calling him up during the season, I bet he'll be claimed then as well.

For now it looks like Andy was able to sneak a fastball down the middle of the plate...

I would say the timing is what helped here. If the Orioles were to make the move during or at the end of ST, he would have been claimed IMO. But rosters are pretty much almost set for most clubs. If the Orioles try to DFA him again after calling him up during the season, I bet he'll be claimed then as well.

For now it looks like Andy was able to sneak a fastball down the middle of the plate...

Are you for real?

Archived