26 inning shutout streak

Moose Milligan

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The good news in all of this is we're starting to build a little depth with the pitching.

The Rotation now includes:
Kyle Gibson
Tyler Wells
Grayson Rodriguez
Dean Kremer
Kyle Bradish

The starting depth includes:
Voth (Yes he's not been good this year so far, but he could get stretched back out if needed)
Irvin (No one but Wildcard expected him to be in AAA by mid-April, yet here he is with no clear path back to the rotation besides an injury)
Hall (I'm putting him here but I'm also going to put him in the relief where he belongs IMHO)
Rom (Off to a good start in AAA though the stuff still remains suspect as a starter)
Watkins (Deep depth, more of a long guy/spot starter)
Zimmermann (Left-handed version of Watkins, break glass in case of emergency guy)

The bullpen has started to take shape with the surprise additions of Coulombe and Cano becoming big pickups to the pen:

Closer: The Mountain has been fantastic
Setup: Bryan Baker - That split finger has become a weapon and outside his first appearance he's been nails)
Setup: Yennier Cano - Who would have think it coming into the year that his stuff and command would take such a step forward at 29-years old?
Setup (LHP): Perez - He's struggled to refind his 2022 magiv and while his FIP suggested he would regress this year, his struggles to command are a bit worrisome.
Middle: Michael Baumann - Seems to have finally found his role and perhaps his consistent breaking ball with the knucklecurve.
Middle: Danny Coulombe - He's been absolutely huge so far this season and may end up in more high leverage situations if Perez doesn't snap out of things.
Long: Austin Voth - Finally had a clean outing in his last appearance and hopefully has settled down a bit after giving up home runs in every appearance before then.
Long: Akin - Has had a lot of his mind with the wife being pregnant so his early struggles can be excused a bit. The Orioles would like for him to the the long guy with an all right-handed rotation but he has an option and Coulombe has taken over the as the second (maybe first) lefty out of the pen for now. With options remaining, Akin could be on thin ice when Tate or Givens comes off the IL.

Depth
Tate and Givens are reportedly close to rehab appearances. 
Hall could be a Perez replacement at some point
Krehbiel and Vespi (LHP) have been pretty good 
Gillaspie wasn't very good, but he was good enough this spring for the orioles to take him north to start the year, so he could still be a depth guy.

So honestly, when you look at things, they don't look that bad overall but everything needs to be caveated that the Orioles have faced some bad offensive teams of late. 

Saying that, it appears Elias has some depth to work from right now if an injury or poor performance dictates moves.

This is a really good rundown.  Also, you forgot Means and whenever he's slated for his return.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Irvin’s value is the innings he can eat. That will matter as the season goes on.

Eh, sort of.  Like I just posted, Means is due back at some point.  Even if/when they shut G-Rod down due to innings limits, we've got guys that can pick up the slack.

Irvin doesn't have to be the innings eater if he continues to pitch terribly.  

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Saying that, it appears Elias has some depth to work from right now if an injury or poor performance dictates moves.

The org has really strong depth with both position players and pitchers. It's why I'd be very surprised if this team truly crashes or falls far short of last year. The O's don't have the star power of most contenders but they have a good roster 1-26 and they have capable guys at AAA at almost every position to step in and perform at a Major League level. That should allow them to effectively ride out the highs and lows of health/performance that will happen in any season. 

Edited by Spy Fox

5 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The org has really strong depth with both position players and pitchers. It's why I'd be very surprised if this team truly crashes or falls far short of last year. The O's don't have the star power of most contenders but they have a good roster 1-26 and they have capable guys at AAA at almost every position to step in and perform at a Major League level. That should allow them to effectively ride out the highs and lows of health/performance that will happen in any season. 

Yes, I agree, but to win in the playoffs, I feel like we need some "star power". I don't trust either of our pitchers going up against other team's ace. We don't have the one bat that you can count on. 

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Getting Means back at some point would be like a deadline deal as long as he's somewhat effective. 

It will be nice having him back, I hope that he can be effective right off the bat, but I would not necessarily expect that result.

13 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Getting Means back at some point would be like a deadline deal as long as he's somewhat effective. 

Hopefully they allow Means to get some minor league rehab starts in first before throwing him into the rotation. 

We dont really have any use for more bad pitching. If he's dominating in Norfolk, thats something else. 

10 minutes ago, foxfield said:

It will be nice having him back, I hope that he can be effective right off the bat, but I would not necessarily expect that result.

The rehab process will take care of that.  If he's not effective in the MiLs, he won't get brought up.

Just now, jabba72 said:

Hopefully they allow Means to get some minor league rehab starts in first before throwing him into the rotation. 

We dont really have any use for more bad pitching. If he's dominating in Norfolk, thats something else. 

He'll have a lengthy rehab process, and it will pitch at multiple affiliates during it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The rehab process will take care of that.  If he's not effective in the MiLs, he won't get brought up.

Of course, Im just pointing out that there is a wide variance on what he could be.  He could be effective enough to come up...but not really someone you are ready to throw in game one.  Either way it is a great option to have.  I just remain cautious as to what he can be expected or counted on for '23.  Hopefully he is ready to be his old self pretty much out of the gate.

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Of course, Im just pointing out that there is a wide variance on what he could be.  He could be effective enough to come up...but not really someone you are ready to throw in game one.  Either way it is a great option to have.  I just remain cautious as to what he can be expected or counted on for '23.  Hopefully he is ready to be his old self pretty much out of the gate.

I don't know what to "expect."  I look at Means as found money..  Whatever he provides this year is a bonus.

• Upvote 1