26 inning shutout streak

Moose Milligan

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way, the 1995 streak of 45 innings only ended because the season ended.  We closed the year with 5 straight shutouts, Mussina-Erickson-Brown-McDonald-Mussina (all complete games except for McDonald, who went 6 innings).   And the final three games in the sequence were against…the Tigers.  

How far did it carry over into the next year?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

They're pretty old and I'm not sure how well Tony would handle a Mussina reunion.

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I would pay Mussina Yankees money to see Tony's reaction at a Mussina reunion! 

As some of you also do, I play OOTP and typically take over an Orioles team and then then play many seasons trying to win another world series with them. I've done it with 1976 Orioles by doing a what if scenario by resigning Reggie Jackson and Bobby Grich. In that scenario I ended up taking my Orioles teams to the World Series three times in 4 years, winning World Championships.

I also just did it by taking over the 1999 team, which of course included a prime Mu$$ina. Now, everything in me wanted to trade him away, but I decided to sign him long term. I also went about getting rid of every aging, expensive player on the roster to include Cal Ripken (fans were not happy but it was for the best as I ended up signing David Bell in free agency and he was much better both offensively and defensively for the same money Cal was costing.)

Anyways, Mussina was the ace every year until 2022, when I was able to pull of a deal for a young AJ Burnett while also getting a major league ready Mark Prior in the draft. The team went on a really good run late in the year to finish in the Wild Card (95 wins) behind a Yankees team that won 109 games. 

Surprisingly, the team caught on fire like the 2014 Royals and I could not be stopped, beating the Yankees 3 game to 1 in the Wild Card before sweeping  the A's in ALCS and then beating the Astros in the World Series.

So yes, I won a world series with Mike Mu$$ina in 2002. So I like the virtual version who decided to stay an Orioles and leave a legacy behind as one of the best Orioles pitchers ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As some of also do, I play OOTP and typically take over an Orioles team and then then play many seasons trying to win another world series with them. I've done it with 1976 Orioles by doing a what if scenario by resigning Reggie Jackson and Bobby Grich. In that scenario I ended up taking my Orioles teams to the World Series three times in 4 years, winning World Championships.

I also just did it with taking of the 1999 team, that of course included a prime Mu$$ina. Now, everything in me wanted to trade him away, but i decided to sign him long term. I also went about getting rid of every aging, expensive player on the roster to include Cal Ripken (fans were not happy but it was for the best as I ended up signing David Bell in free agency and he was much better both offensively and defensively for the same money Cal was costing. 

Anyways, Mussina was the ace every year until 2022, when I was able to pull of a deal for a young AJ Burnett while also getting a major league ready Mark Prior in the draft. The team went on a really good run late in the year to finish in the Wild Card (95 wins) behind a Yankees team that won 109 games. 

Surprisingly, the team caught on fire like the 2014 Royals and I could not be stopped, beating the Yankees 3 game to 1 in the Wild Card before sweeping  the A's in ALCS and then beating the Astros in the World Series.

So yes, I won a world series with Mike Mu$$ina in 2002 so I like the virtual version who decided to stay an Orioles and leave a legacy behind as one of the best Orioles pitchers ever.

This post makes me happy.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Bartolo Colon was the most beloved PED guy that MLB has ever had.  He was busted for PEDs, no one cared.  He was a jolly fat guy who pitched forever, hit a homer that everyone remembers and his teammates adored him.  I can't think of another PED guy who's adored as much as Colon was.

Everybody loves Big Papi.   Except the people that hate him.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

“The 1974 team strung together 54 in a row from Sept. 1-Sept. 7….

“The 1957 and 1995 teams are tied for second on the scoreless list with 45, according to STATS. The Orioles had 37 consecutive shutout innings in 1992, 36 in 1982, 33 in 1960, 32 in 1983, 31 in 1972, 30 in 1969 and 2010, 29 in 1967 and 28 in 2012.

So, at 34.2, the 6th longest scoreless streak in team history.  Not bad. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...