For The Times they are a'Changin

owknows

Some interesting observations for this admittedly young 2023 season...

Looking at the top 4 teams by record in all of Baseball..

2 are from the AL and 2 from the NL....

All are in the bottom half of the league in team payroll.

3 of them are in the bottom 4 teams in payroll in all of baseball.

Pittsburgh (27th of 30 teams in payroll) is 16-7

Milwaukee (20th of 30 teams in payroll) is 15-7

Tampa Bay (28th of 30 teams in payroll) is 19-3

And your Baltimore Orioles (29th of 30 teams in payroll) are 14-7

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, owknows said:

Had the Orioles not added McCann and Frazier... (and still been mailing checks to Davis) they would of course be 30th of 30.

By a factor of 2.

I don't think there is going to become a negative correaltion between payroll and wins or anything, but as we saw in the wake of the Steroid Era, money became less valuable as the game skewed younger.  I believe a similar process will occur with the game skewing towards speed, and thus youth, currently.

I would speculate that the Orioles felt some pressure from the league to add salary because of the grumbling that was starting to build last year over their successful tanking strategy. And that McCann and Frazier may have been the otherwise head-scratching result of that pressure.

Just now, Pickles said:

I don't think there is going to become a negative correaltion between payroll and wins or anything, but as we saw in the wake of the Steroid Era, money became less valuable as the game skewed younger.  I believe a similar process will occur with the game skewing towards speed, and thus youth, currently.

I'm willing to at least consider the possibility that this trend (let's call it the Hyper-Tampa Model) may become a thing... and that there will ultimately be a weird distribution of winning teams with an inverted bell curve...

With Big Spenders on one end.. and Big Tankers on the other

1 minute ago, owknows said:

I'm willing to at least consider the possibility that this trend (let's call it the Hyper-Tampa Model) may become a thing... and that there will ultimately be a weird distribution of winning teams with an inverted bell curve...

With Big Spenders on one end.. and Big Tankers on the other

Anything is possible.

The curve will not invert.  However, becoming an outlier might become more likely.

9 minutes ago, owknows said:

I would speculate that the Orioles felt some pressure from the league to add salary because of the grumbling that was starting to build last year over their successful tanking strategy. And that McCann and Frazier may have been the otherwise head-scratching result of that pressure.

This thought crossed my mind.

Edited by emmett16

9 minutes ago, owknows said:

But the Mets are paying for most of McCann. He didn’t really add much salary to the orioles. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

If it’s true when the season is over, I’ll take notice.  

Yup... it's a long season.

I expect the Empire to Strike Back complete with Imperial Vader March Music by August...

But I think at least 3 of these 4 teams will still be playing meaningful games in September.