Bryan Reynolds signs extension

Sports Guy

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He says that and I do believe him but who doesn't say that?

That is straight out of the book of trite phrases.

Agreed.  I almost put that comment in my post.  Instead, I reworded it with an indicator that it might just be true for Elias.  

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The "dead horses" comment obviously bothered you a lot more than what I was commenting about.      I would put as much weight in a compliment as a criticism from, which is ZERO.

I didn't think it bothered CoC. He merely changed "dead horse" to "deceased equines" to clarify something. Going back and reading the exchanges, you seemed a lot more offended than you're letting on that he made that clarification. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I would argue Zero implications for Mullins because the Orioles just do not give out extensions. Lol. At least until they suddenly do! We can hope. But I dare not assume. 

Pretty sure Chris Davis has scarred the Angeloses for life.

So does anyone like the potential CFs in our system?  Sounds like Cowser could do it but wouldn't be a good defender there.  Not sure I believe Haskin can be a decent MLB hitter.  Fabian is a good defender but he's only in A+ ball.  I don't think Beavers is a CF.  Trimble can't hit.  I guess it's possible a MI is converted at some point.  Bueller?

Fabian can definitely play defense there, but the hit tool is a question. I'm not sure Haskin is going to be all that impressive on either side of the ball. Cowser would probably be stretched there, but could maybe do it for a few years. IIRC, Beavers has a chance to stick in CF, so maybe him?

Edited by ChosenOne21
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Pirates get out to a hot start and they're re-upping managers and extending star players, throwing around money like a rapper at a strip club.

Meanwhile, we're over here wondering when Adley's gonna leave.  

And the MASN lawsuit judgement rendered today will provide more excuses for John Angelos to cry poor and act outraged the next time he gets asked about an early extension for Adley.

Things are going really well on the field right now for the Orioles. Yet in the back of every fan's mind you can't help but wonder how ownership will screw this up.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hopefully.

Just current ownership just seems strongly opposed to long term commitments.

It seems pretty clear to me what is going on here.   When Peter dies, the team will be sold to pay the inheritance tax.

In the mean time, he is just milking as much profit as he can.   No motivation to commit any money that will help the team longterm because they don't expect to own it then.

And with franchise values in the billions, having a Rutschman extended or not is in the noise in terms of whether it helps the value of the franchise.   Most of the value of the franchise is in the fact that you are allowed into an exclusive moneymaking club, followed by your market's potential.    Anyone who thinks the Angeloses would reap a bigger sale if the team was better positioned to be a contender in 2030 than if they weren't ... nope, it's just not a factor.

• Like 1