TT: It's time to bring up Colton Cowser

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

Once they feel comfortable with Gunnar, I could see Cowser getting the strong side of a split pretty easily.  Stowers/Vavra/O'Hearn/Frazier and maybe even Mateo, Hays, and Adley could be more strategically sit without compromising (and hopefully improving) projected run differentials per game.

That's probably a consideration too.

They don't want to break in 3-4 rookies simultaneously, and as we've seen this year, that's with good reason.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It makes the team better to have Cowser take the Vavra role.  But is that best for Cowser?  There's still a balancing act.  Cowser needs to play every day.  A part time role in the MLs is not in his best interest right now imo.

My apologies..I agree Cowser shouldn’t be in the Vavra role. That’s a waste.

I’m talking about Cowser playing 4-5 times a week and taking at bats away from players currently on the team.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

My apologies..I agree Cowser shouldn’t be in the Vavra role. That’s a waste.

In talking about Cowser playing 4-5 times a week and taking at bats away from players currently on the team.

I know you want that.

But me and Baltimore are not ready to take ABs away from Hays and Santander to make that happen.

And if you don't do that, and it's a significant amount of their ABs, as even a "couple of days a week" is 20-30% of someone's playing time, then the only role available right now is a part time one.

Just now, Pickles said:

I know you want that.

But me and Baltimore are not ready to take ABs away from Hays and Santander to make that happen.

And if you don't do that, and it's a significant amount of their ABs, as even a "couple of days a week" is 20-30% of someone's playing time, then the only role available right now is a part time one.

Well yea, if you aren’t going to do that, you can’t bring up Cowser.

28 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I'm wondering if the Gillaspie move is a precursor to Cowser being the next call-up. 

Gillaspie gets Stowers off the roster.  Cowser gets Gillaspie off the roster when we no longer need the extra bullpen arm. 

I think we were short an arm due to Ortiz, so Gillespie gets us back to 13. I could see Cowser coming for O'Hearn or possibly Vavra. Gillespie will probably go down for Akin.

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Dump Frazier, make Westburg starting 2B, now so that any growing pains are completed by the All Star Break and the O's can actually play their best players down the stretch

Urius should be backup 2B/3B to ease the stress on Gunnar and Jordan.

How is it everyone but Elias saw that Frazier was a mistake?

I think the Frazier signing was perhaps mostly about roster management.  To have an excuse not to bring certain guys up.  We are a cheap team and probably most of these decisions come down to long term finances.  Getting extra years of control.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I know you want that.

IMO, if Cowser is the real deal, then we have room for 4 starting OFers. Santander can DH a little more and Hays could use the regular rest.

The “good problem to have” stuff is kind of Bs.

First of all, keeping Westburg down because Frazier isn’t a good problem to have. People want to pat Elias on the back for the depth and in many ways, he deserves that.  That decision isn’t one of those ways. That is and was a poor decision.

As for Cowser taking at bats away. I agree it’s good in that Hays has played well this year and Santander is good enough to justify playing a lot. So, it’s good to have a lot of good players.  Totally agree with that.

But what’s not good is when you keep down guys that should be in the majors, guys that are(or likely will be soon) better and more talented than what you have up. Guys that raise the ceiling of your team overall the 162 game season.

We need those players up here.

5 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I think the Frazier signing was perhaps mostly about roster management.  To have an excuse not to bring certain guys up.  We are a cheap team and probably most of these decisions come down to long term finances.  Getting extra years of control.

They didn’t spend 8M for this reason.

If you have LF Hays, CF Mullins, RF Cowser, DH Santander, then  Cowser isn’t taking at bats from any of the other three.  Adley can get ABs at DH on rest days and he can get more days completely off.  McCann does not need to DH.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

IMO, if Cowser is the real deal, then we have room for 4 starting OFers. Santander can DH a little more and Hays could use the regular rest.

Correct. You should always have room for really good players. 

Who on here would be upset with this group on a relative everyday basis:

Adley, Mounty, Westburg, Mateo, Gunnar, Hays, Mullins, Cowser and Santander

Ortiz here to spell Westburg 1-2 times a week and Mateo 1-2 times a week.(I guess you could flip this if you prefer)

McKenna, Ortiz, McCann and Frazier is your bench.

What is wrong with that team?

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

If you have LF Hays, CF Mullins, RF Cowser, DH Santander, then  Cowser isn’t taking at bats from any of the other three.  Adley can get ABs at DH on rest days and he can get more days completely off.  McCann does not need to DH.

Well said. The McCann DH stuff definitely can end.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Who on here would be upset with this group on a relative everyday basis:

Adley, Mounty, Westburg, Mateo, Gunnar, Hays, Mullins, Cowser and Santander

Can't recall an O's offense like that. Who would you pitch around if you were facing us?

Edited by UMDTerrapins