Ortiz down, Stowers up

Sports Guy

Just now, btdart20 said:

Jose Abreu is currently at -.5 fWAR.  The MOO could be worse.  I’ll take the red hope in Mounty’s Savant page over Abreu as well.

Agreed.  And Mounty may be a guy that in a few weeks, doesn’t get out of the lineup, ala Mateo right now.

That said, my guess is when that happens, someone else will be losing at bats because they are cold.

Talent always finds a way if you let it.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Both players have a -.2 fWAR.

Both are losing at bats.  It’s less about replacing each other as it is taking at bats away from them and giving those at bats to the younger, better players.  

Unfortunately, since the team has chosen to not give first base reps to Stowers and/or Westburg, AS is the only one left.  

No, you are talking about taking bats away from a struggling Mountcastle to give them to an even more struggling Santander while having him play out of position.

It makes no sense.

You've just decided Mountcastle needs fewer at bats and this is the only way you can make it work.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, you are talking about taking bats away from a struggling Mountcastle to give them to an even more struggling Santander while having him play out of position.

It makes no sense.

You've just decided Mountcastle needs fewer at bats and this is the only way you can make it work.

Yes it is the only way it works..but Santander is losing at bats too.

Mountcastle isn’t losing at bats to Santander. He’s losing them to Westburg (or whoever). Santander just happens to be the guy playing the position.

But again, if he is a disaster over there, this wouldn’t work.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes it is the only way it works..but Santander is losing at bats too.

Mountcastle isn’t losing at bats to Santander. He’s losing them to Westburg (or whoever). Santander just happens to be the guy playing the position.

But again, if he is a disaster over there, this wouldn’t work.

I get you want Westburg playing out of position to take at bats away from Santander.

But why not stop there?

What is the logic behind having Santander play out of position taking at bats away from Mountcastle?

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I get you want Westburg playing out of position to take at bats away from Santander.

But why not stop there?

What is the logic behind having Santander play out of position taking at bats away from Mountcastle?

Oh..so, you are saying only play AS 2-3 games a week?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather that than to put him out of position and replace someone out performing him.

He can also DH anytime Hyde wants to run McCann out there.

Well I don’t want McCann taking the at bats either.

I guess that could work. I think I would try to get AS in the lineup a little more, which is why I would play him at first.

We don’t know that he can’t handle it although I guess it is fair to say that he hasn’t played there yet, so maybe he’s not good enough yet.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Hays is probably better defensively but Hays isn’t that good defensively, especially compared to the perception of him amongst fans and the announcers (who influence the minds of the fans very much)

And btw, iirc, Hays’ biggest issue last year was getting poor jumps..which you won’t see on TV.

And btw @Frobby on the one hit off of Coloumbe today, the announcers said Hays for a bad jump on that ball.