Royals series

Going Underground

4 minutes ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

Remember how mad people got when we let him walk? Elias and the gang know what they are doing, and I wish we as a fan base could remember that sometimes.

I don’t think anyone was upset with that decision. Maybe in the decision to replace him with Gibson, which has been working out well this far. But I don’t think a single tear was shed for Jordan Lyles. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

A few other facts:

1.  The Royals have the second-worst offense in the AL, averaging 3.31 runs/game.  (On the other hand, the Tigers, who are worse at 3.26 runs/game, managed 4.5 per game this last series against us.)

2.  The Royals’ bullpen has a 5.26 ERA, 3rd worst in the AL.  (When this series is over, we will have seen the four worst bullpens in the league already this year, in Detroit, KC, Chicago and Oakland.)

3.  KC has only won one series this year, taking 2 of 3 from the Giants on April 7-9. They’ve been swept in 3 series and won once in the other 5 series.  
4.  The Royals’ best hitter has been Vinnie Pasquantino, a 2019 11th round pick out of Old Dominion University.  Despite being a late pick and never making anyone’s top 100 list, all the guy has done since being drafted is rake in both the majors and the minors.  So watch out for him!

I pull for Vinnie.  He is a hard working kid who believes he can be a very good major league player.  Being in Virginia I got to know him a little bit when he helped coach on my Son's travel ball team during covid.

Of course, I will be fine if he has a mini 3 game slump. ;) 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, oriole said:

I don’t think anyone was upset with that decision. Maybe in the decision to replace him with Gibson, which has been working out well this far. But I don’t think a single tear was shed for Jordan Lyles. 

62% of OH posters voted that his option should not be exercised.   So, most were not upset, but there were a significant number of people who wanted him back. 

16 minutes ago, oriole said:

Maybe not here in OH, but fans in every Orioles FB group were losing their minds over it. Not every fan, but a LOT of fans were upset. Particularly with Gibson being signed instead. I haven't been on the boards here in quite some time, so maybe everyone here was OK with it. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

62% of OH posters voted that his option should not be exercised.   So, most were not upset, but there were a significant number of people who wanted him back. 

Yes, this. I didn't mean to imply every Orioles fan, and as I mentioned above, I also wasn't posting or reading OH at all this offseason. I am back after a long hiatus, but it feels nice to be back. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Saying they “should” is a lot different than being upset that they didn’t. Thats just semantics in the end though I guess. And Oriolemagic79 says he was following FB groups, which in my experience are a bit more…unreserved in their reactions to just about anything, Orioles related or not lol

49 minutes ago, oriole said:

Saying they “should” is a lot different than being upset that they didn’t. Thats just semantics in the end though I guess. And Oriolemagic79 says he was following FB groups, which in my experience are a bit more…unreserved in their reactions to just about anything, Orioles related or not lol

Yes, VERY true. That's why I felt it was necessary to point out 🤣

I do want to give a shout out to Vinnie P.'s "Italian Breakfast" nickname - it is a fine homage in Org to "Country Breakfast".

I am still a little salty Billy Butler broke Brad Bergesen way back when.

Pasquantino's opened with basically four impeccable months of what we have fingers crossed Kjerstad can do too.

34 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I do want to give a shout out to Vinnie P.'s "Italian Breakfast" nickname - it is a fine homage in Org to "Country Breakfast".

Pasquantino's opened with basically four impeccable months of what we have fingers crossed Kjerstad can do too.

I love it when guys like this pop up out of nowhere.  Honestly, I’d never heard of him until I was looking at KC’s roster yesterday.   Looking at his MiL numbers, there doesn’t seem to be anything fluky about his major league performance so far.  How did so many evaluators miss on this guy?

He wasn’t on any 2022 preseason top 100 list I’ve seen.  MLB ranked Jim the Royals’ 17th best prospect before that season.  However, Longenhagen had him graded a 50 before last year (and ranked 111th) and said this:

“Pasquantino is not a graceful athlete — even his home run trots look like they require a fair bit of effort — but he can really hit, which is the thing we care about most. There are missile defense systems with less precise tracking ability than Pasquantino, who seems to be lasered in on everything that crosses the plate, and is on time with remarkable consistency. He will track and whack breaking balls that most hitters would swing over top of, and he can also flatten his bat path and get to fastballs at the top of the strike zone. At age 23, he was a little old for a bat-only prospect who split the year between High- and Double-A, but his numbers there were incredible. He walked nearly as much as he struck out (he only K’d 13% of the time) and he has such precise feel for contact that we think he’ll get to all of his modest raw power in games. It’s an atypical first base profile since there isn’t loud raw power, but the hit/power blend projects for an output similar to Yuli Gurriel‘s, and we’re confident Pasquantino’s hit tool will make him a consistent annual run producer.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kansas-city-royals-top-47-prospects-2022/

So, good for Vinnie.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I thought faking a throw in a commercial or something like that broke Bergesen. Am I thinking of someone else?  What did Butler do?

4 hours ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

Maybe not here in OH, but fans in every Orioles FB group were losing their minds over it. Not every fan, but a LOT of fans were upset. Particularly with Gibson being signed instead. I haven't been on the boards here in quite some time, so maybe everyone here was OK with it. 

Ooooof. Not to sound snobby but I shudder to think what an Orioles Facebook group is like.  

Anyway, glad you’re back. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I thought faking a throw in a commercial or something like that broke Bergesen. Am I thinking of someone else?  What did Butler do?

I think the fake throw was later.     Bergesen's original breakout was disrupted by Butler nearly breaking his shin.    He was very good before the incident, and never much good after.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=4369497

Looking back at the 2009 game log, he took his lumps his first 6 weeks or so, and then pitched like an All-Star two wonderful months.

I'm glad we get to enjoy the scenery of the Royal's home stadium. I've loved watching the Orioles play there and seeing that waterfall ever since I was a kid.

I'm going to enjoy this series. (As long as the Orioles win.)

Edited by Billy F-Face3

17 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ooooof. Not to sound snobby but I shudder to think what an Orioles Facebook group is like.  

Anyway, glad you’re back. 

Yeah, there's a reason why I ventured back here. It is almost as bad as the "fans" in Star Wars groups ... ugh, can't people just enjoy things anymore instead of picking it apart? Usually the ones that have the most to say/complain about are the ones who know the least.