Wednesday May 3, at Kansas City

FlaO'sFan

Hyde just doesn't have a real good feel for when to be prepared to get a guy before the game blows up. Gibson had one, that's one swing and miss the entire game coming into this inning. He was getting hit a little but here and there, but you have to think once a couple guys get on, you gotta get someone like Akin up.

• Upvote 1

Just now, dtk9119 said:

Worst offense in baseball.  7 runs last night and 5 so far tonight.

Its major league baseball. They get paid too. Gibson is who he is. He's a 5th starter that typically keeps you in games but when the command is not there, he's going to get hit around because the stuff is below average.

• Upvote 1

Just now, dtk9119 said:

Worst offense in baseball.  7 runs last night and 5 so far tonight.

And they gave up 7 twice to the Tigers who are the only offense worse than KC.  And now the easy schedule is over.  I'm so glad that they didn't upgrade the pitching SP, but alas that one has been beaten to death.  It just resurfaces in situations like these.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Wait, is this...positivity? I didn't think it was allowed on this board?
    • For a guy like Kremer who relies on movement profiles and location (ie “feel” pitcher), I’m surprised that his stuff hasn’t been *more* negatively impacted by the blister.  In his prior starts he was looking at his finger almost every pitch. Agree with potential Kremer to IL stint, and then pending health of others, move to 6 man rotation for June—>All Star Break given packed schedule with few off days. 
    • His homers seem to all be no doubters.  
    • Aberdeen has come on nicely since my last update, going 12-6 the last three weeks.  They’re at 18-15, two games off the division lead.  They rank 4th in R/G at 4.88, 6th in OPS at .671.  They’re scoring a lot of runs using their speed, as they’ve stolen 101 bases vs. 18 caught stealing, an average of more than 3 stolen bases per game.  They’ve stolen 32 more bases than any other team in the league.  Five of the top six bssestealers in the league are Ironbirds. The pitching also has been good, 4th in ERA at 3.34 and 3rd in runs/game at 3.85.   They’ve outscored opponents by 34 runs in 33 games, a very healthy total (their Pythagorean record is 20-13). Offensively, Creed Willems has been the star, leading the team in OPS (.896), SLG (.571), HR (7, nobody else has more than 2), and RBI (23). Willems ranks 2nd in the league in homers and 3rd in RBI.  Matthew Etzel (.835 OPS) leads the team in BA (.302), is 2nd in OBP (.392) and stolen bases (17) and is tied for the team lead in runs (19) and tied for 2nd in RBI (17).  Jalen Vasquez (.844 OPS) leads in OBP (.438, 2nd in the league). .  Enrique Bradfield Jr. missed two weeks but is still 3rd on the team with 17 runs and 15 stolen bases in only 19 games.  Tavian Josenberger leads the team in steals (20) and is tied for the lead in runs with 19. On the pitching side, Moises Chace leads the team in IP (25.2), ERA (1.05) and strikeouts (36).  Zach Fruit has thrown 24.2 innings to a 3.28 ERA, Jackson Baumeister 21.0 innings at 2.57, Edgar Portes 25.2 at 2.81.  20-year old relievers Deivy Cruz and Yaqui Rivera have been very good, at 1.32 and 1.42 ERA, 0.878 and 1.026 WHIP.  Starter Levi Wells leads the team at 14.0 K/9 but has a ghastly 9.0 ERA.  Finally, Cam Weston pitched so well (0.54 ERA) that he was promoted a couple of weeks ago.    
    • Could he have focused solely on rehabbing instead of working with the development staff to refine his pitch movement and shape? Do we know how his fastball movement was pre injury?      
    • It seemed like his FB velo was down when the rain/wet conditions were present (saw some 91mphs) and then ticked back up to customary 94-95mph range. While we all were hoping for 2mph velo bump (so 96-97mph) in relief, it’s probably a little too early to say for sure that it won’t happen.  Still adjusting to warm up routines and availability. That being said, even if velo bump doesn’t occur, Suarez still looks effective as BP piece (albeit not shutdown hi leverage type).
    • What an excellent positive post. I am feeling good too, and Wells in the pen will help,  I'm even more impressed this year with Coulombe. I didn't imagine Irvin's improvement and Westburg is so solid and consistent. All we really need is the 2023 version of Bautista, and Mullins to start hitting.
  • Popular Contributors