A Realistic Pitching Ace And What It Will Take to Acquire Him

BirdMan

I know Chicago has been off to a horrendous start, but there's a lot of games between now and the deadline. Looking at their IL, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they can salvage the 2023 season. I believe Tim Anderson is back, and I also think Moncada will be beginning a rehab assignment soon. 

3 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

For Cease?  Henderson, Cowser and Westburg/Norby.  I believe he has three more years of control, and the Padres emptied their farm for 2.5 years of Juan Soto.  Cease would be the best young starting pitcher to become available in recent memory, so it wouldn’t take MLB pieces necessarily like it did for Soto (i.e. Abrams and Gore) but it would be a prospect-heavy package.

My guess was similar to yours, only Ortiz, Cowser and maybe Westburg/Norby, or a Drew Rom or Cade Povich..  At least 3 of these guys, and depending on their catching situation, maybe even maverick Handley.

8 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Montgomery and Giolito make the most sense based off who they were alleged to have been targeting this winter……which I don’t think helps us very much.  We need a true #1, not another mid-rotation starter.  

The only we get a #1 is if they’re developed here. Rodriguez has been a pretty big disappointment so far but it’s still his first year so he could be the guy we’re looking for. 

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

The only we get a #1 is if they’re developed here. Rodriguez has been a pretty big disappointment so far but it’s still his first year so he could be the guy we’re looking for. 

I think he's only a "pretty big disappointment" for those people that had unrealistic expectations to begin with.

Replacement level over 6 starts with a ton of strikeouts.  That is not a result that greatly surprises me.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

For Cease?  Henderson, Cowser and Westburg/Norby.  I believe he has three more years of control, and the Padres emptied their farm for 2.5 years of Juan Soto.  Cease would be the best young starting pitcher to become available in recent memory, so it wouldn’t take MLB pieces necessarily like it did for Soto (i.e. Abrams and Gore) but it would be a prospect-heavy package.

The Padres vastly overpaid for Soto and he is an everyday player that doesn’t mean we should overpay for a starter.  

• Upvote 1

I find it funny that people are suggesting 3-4 top 100 prospect packages (including Gunnar). There are 0 competitive teams that could match that offer and Cease certainly isn't worth it the way he is pitching. He will definitely cost a big haul, but we definitely shouldn't be giving something similar to the Soto deal.

• Upvote 2

Not giving up Holiday or Henderson. They can have Cowser, Stowers, Westburg, Basallo. That’s instant 10 War with a All Star caliber youngster.

Take a look at the top 40 prospects this year. Our guys should move up significantly.

Edited by Rbiggs2525