Elias/Hyde need to adjust the pitching staff to win vs better teams

wildcard

Just now, wildcard said:

Makes the pitching staff better to give Holt better pitchers.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I know you do.  I think he will over time.  Even if he has to change pitchers to do it.   I Cano he will.

Do you even read what you post?

You just said that you think HOLT will improve the pitchers, you then minutes later said something else.

So which is it?  Can the Wizard improve the pitchers or not?

I thought your view was that the pitchers would build off the amazing gains last season and under The Wizard's tutelage be even better this year.  I wasn't expecting you to be advocating for new personnel in May due to Holt not be able to get high level performances out of them.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Do you even read what you post?

You just said that you think HOLT will improve the pitchers, you then minutes later said something else.

So which is it?  Can the Wizard improve the pitchers or not?

I thought your view was that the pitchers would build off the amazing gains last season and under The Wizard's tutelage be even better this year.  I wasn't expecting you to be advocating for new personnel in May due to Holt not be able to get high level performances out of them.

Haven't you caught on yet?   I give credit to Holt whenever things go right with the pitching staff.  And when they go wrong I blame you.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Haven't you caught on yet?   I give credit to Holt whenever things go right with the pitching staff.  And when they go wrong I blame you.

You're approaching a Sports Guy level of denial! 😉

The Orioles BP was first in the majors in ERA as of the other day.

Holt is failing the starters and Perez, so that is hurting the team.

If Irvin was showing the control he always had and was doing well, one of Bradish, Kremer or Wells would go to the pen and things would likely be a little better. 

The failure of this organization to add a real starter in the offseason is really showing up.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles BP was first in the majors in ERA as of the other day.

Holt is failing the starters and Perez, so that is hurting the team.

If Irvin was showing the control he always had and was doing well, one of Bradish, Kremer or Wells would go to the pen and things would likely be a little better. 

The failure of this organization to add a real starter in the offseason is really showing up.

Did Irvin have control or just a big park to pitch in?   He did not have control away from the Oakland park.

I would try Irvin as a long reliever.   Just to see if he could be successful at that.

Edited by wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Did Irvin have control or just a big park to pitch in?   He did not have control away from the Oakland park.

I would try Irvin as a long reliever.   Just to see if he could be successful at that.

He had control. All of his stats say so, so trying to pigeonhole him into something he’s not is factually wrong. 

OPACY doesn’t play much more of a hitters park than Oakland does at this point.

Clearly Holt has ruined him.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Yea, just going to call this out as an actual falsehood.

Not sure if you know it's untrue or just didn't bother to spend 20 seconds looking before you posted.

Career home/road splits:

Home 2.85 K/BB

Road 3.19 K/BB

Home 53 walks in 219 IP

Road 47 walks in 198.1 IP

Yes I'm including the 12.2 innings he pitched in Baltimore this year.  I said 20 seconds not a minute and a half.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, just going to call this out as an actual falsehood.

Not sure if you know it's untrue or just didn't bother to spend 20 seconds looking before you posted.

Career home/road splits:

Home 2.85 K/BB

Road 3.19 K/BB

Home 53 walks in 219 IP

Road 47 walks in 198.1 IP

Yes I'm including the 12.2 innings he pitched in Baltimore this year.  I said 20 seconds not a minute and a half.

and 45.1 innings in Philly.

But you might be right.  Its not the walk its the hits.

Edited by wildcard

Our starters need to pitch better.  Fiddling around with the bullpen won’t fix that problem.  

I don’t think there’s a manager in the world who wouid have pulled Grayson after three innings, up 8-4, having thrown 57 pitches.  Heck, I’m sure Hyde was disgusted to have to pull him after 3.2.   Grayson needs to learn how to manage these outings and the only way he does it is by trying.  But he’s got to be better, and so do the others.  The team is 12th in IP/start (5.0) and that simply needs to be better.  

I don't have an issue with the argument that there should be pitchers that can go multiple innings in the bullpen. But it seems silly to act like the manager should remove a starter every time they face a little adversity in their outings.