This place is unbearable after a loss

Sanfran327

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It was a frustrating weekend.

I think what's not being talked about here is the fear that this start is a mirage...that it's a little too good to be true.  That we're more like a 75 win team and not a 90 win team.  The fear that we're going to miss the playoffs while the Sox and Yankees are gonna get right and pass us in the standings.

So every little blip on the radar, like losing two to the Braves that we could have won, is going to bet met with a little bi of freaking out.  

We're not used to this.  We're not used to being contenders year in, year out.  If we'd won 90+ games every year for the past 3 years and had deep playoff runs, this would be no big deal.  

But I think a lot of people here are waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I think we all recognize that this team played way above its head last year and we're probably not as good as our start has indicated.

This team is on pace to win like 105 games.  They don't need to maintain this pace to make the playoffs.

Losing two one run games to the best team in the NL in thier park is hardly cause for consternation.  Wake me up after an extended losing streak.

Now, that's the rational way of looking at it.  However, it isn't fair to expect fans to be rational about things, especially in the heat of the moment on the internet.

But yeah, rising expectations are a big part of this.  Ravens boards go insane anytime they lose a game because they expect to win every game, unrealistically, of course, but that's the nature of the beast.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So every little blip on the radar, like losing two to the Braves that we could have won, is going to bet met with a little bi of freaking out.  

We're not used to this.  We're not used to being contenders year in, year out.  If we'd won 90+ games every year for the past 3 years and had deep playoff runs, this would be no big deal.  

But I think a lot of people here are waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I think we all recognize that this team played way above its head last year and we're probably not as good as our start has indicated.

Yup, it’s a long season.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think what's not being talked about here is the fear that this start is a mirage...that it's a little too good to be true.  That we're more like a 75 win team and not a 90 win team.  The fear that we're going to miss the playoffs while the Sox and Yankees are gonna get right and pass us in the standings.

Of course this team isn’t a 100 win team. Does that really need to be said?

Before this season started, I think I predicted the team to win 80 games. I didn’t see a likely scenario for the win total to go below 75 and figured they could win as many as 85 games.

I will admit that I do think the ceiling is higher now than what I thought heading into the season but not by much.  Point being, your opinion of the team now Vs a month ago shouldn’t be worse, could be better and at worse, it’s the same.

Still, not sure why people would be down after this weekend (or why they would be down at all over a random series in May). They played good baseball overall, against the best team in the NL.

People really need to take a step back away from things if they feel the need to jump off a cliff after every loss.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So, if we had taken 2 of 3 from the Braves you’d be declaring this a 90+ win playoff team?

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

This team is on pace to win like 105 games.  They don't need to maintain this pace to make the playoffs.

Losing two one run games to the best team in the NL in thier park is hardly cause for consternation.  Wake me up after an extended losing streak.

Now, that's the rational way of looking at it.  However, it isn't fair to expect fans to be rational about things, especially in the heat of the moment on the internet.

But yeah, rising expectations are a big part of this.  Ravens boards go insane anytime they lose a game because they expect to win every game, unrealistically, of course, but that's the nature of the beast.

Yes but a loss in football means WAY more than this.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Of course this team isn’t a 100 win team. Does that really need to be said?

Before this season started, I think I predicted the team to win 80 games. I didn’t see a likely scenario for the win total to go below 75 and figured they could win as many as 85 games.

I will admit that I do think the ceiling is higher now than what I thought heading into the season but not by much. 

Still, not sure why people would be down after this weekend (or why they would be down at all over a random series in May). They played good baseball overall, against the best team in the NL.

People really need to take a step back away from things if they feel the need to jump off a cliff after every loss.

I'm with you.  We went toe to toe with the Braves and gave them all they could handle.  That doesn't count in the W/L column but it's still a good sign.

27 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I agree.  

Nowhere in my post did I say that I thought (or that people thought) that this was a 105 win team.  Or to @Sports Guy who quoted me, saying of course this isn't a 100 win team...well, I never said it was.  And I never claimed that people here were expecting 100-105 wins.

Rising expectations are huge, you are correct.  And that's the whole point of it all.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.  

Nowhere in my post did I say that I thought (or that people thought) that this was a 105 win team.  Or to @Sports Guy who quoted me, saying of course this isn't a 100 win team...well, I never said it was.  And I never claimed that people here were expecting 100-105 wins.

Rising expectations are huge, you are correct.  And that's the whole point of it all.

You mentioned the “fear” that this team isn’t as good as their start. That’s what that comment was in regards to.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I agree with the premise of the thread but just something you gotta learn to scroll past.  

Fan is short for fanatic, and some of the responses you see will be like that.  Just scroll past and get to the good stuff :)

But why does it mean fanatically pessimistic and stupid instead of fanatically hopeful and insightful? Scrolling is tedious--what I've done instead is add more names to my Ignore list than I have since the Sam Perlozzo / Dave Trembley days (and at least  that was boo-worthy baseball).

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

God forbid consecutive extremely close losses on the  to the best team in the NL and one of the top World Series contenders.

We gave the Braves everything they could handle and more, but someone has to win every day. We were a few pitches away from sweeping a juggernaut on the road, but now the sky is falling. 

Some of you are comically irrational. Get a grip - it's May, and most of you thought we'd stink anyway.

Flame away.

Sure, some people are over the top, but the vast majority of people understand we lost two close games to one of the best teams in the National League and baseball overall. Is it fun to watch a game that goes 12 innings and your hitters suck, nope, but sometimes you have to tip the cap to the other team's pitching. The Braves just slightly outpitched us and we just ran out of bullets in the last game having to throw one of our struggling relievers in a tough spot. 

55 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So every little blip on the radar, like losing two to the Braves that we could have won, is going to bet met with a little bitof freaking out.  

The fact is the start was mirage. This team is not a 100 win team which is what they were on pace on before the Braves series. Now is this team a terrible team that is going to collapse, no, but it does have flaws that they've been able to get over thanks to some real good relief pitching. But those guys are bound to get burnt out at the rate of innings they've had to cover because of starting staff that can't consistently eat innings. 

Close wins can be frustrating especially when it just would have taken one hit here and there to win the game, but the Braves pitchers get paid to and they pitched to the weaknesses of our hitters on Sunday. Saturday was a tougher pill to swallow because Hyde made a questionable bullpen move that backfired, but as sketchy as Bautista has been of late, who's to say he wouldn't have blown it? 

It's baseball. You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains. 

• Upvote 1