Can/Will the O's win the AL East Division?

wildcard

As good as they’ve played, there’s still obvious places that they could improve, so I think it’s possible.  But there are still lots of questions.  
I’d like to see Cowser replace Stowers and be the regular left fielder.  It turns out Mateo isn’t the second coming of Honus Wagner, so it might be time for Ortiz at short.  And, Gunnar really needs to get it going if we’re really trying to win this year.  We don’t need to acquire at bat, we have them in the minors. 
Starting pitching has been awesome over the past week, but how many do you really trust?  Hall, Means and Irvin could help in the rotation.  Is that enough?  Plenty of options for the bullpen so I don’t see them sending prospects off for a relief pitcher.

So, yes they can and that should be the goal. Still some roster work to do though.

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

And if they do will there be a flood in Camden Yards?

They are 4 back of the Rays.   3 in the loss column.

I don’t expect the Rays to have that crazy run differential. I think we have a shot but a long way to go. A lot can and will happen by then. It is fun to watch!

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t expect the Rays to have that crazy run differential. I think we have a shot but a long way to go. A lot can and will happen by then. It is fun to watch!

After tonights  Sat  play, they are only 2 games back of Tampa on the loss side.   IMO they still need 1 offensive player with Power, and 1 true Ace as a Starter.  Of course they really need more than those 2,  but let us see what those 2 would do for the team, if they would obtain  them.    

12 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

After tonights  Sat  play, they are only 2 games back of Tampa on the loss side.   IMO they still need 1 offensive player with Power, and 1 true Ace as a Starter.  Of course they really need more than those 2,  but let us see what those 2 would do for the team, if they would obtain  them.    

The same two things we needed in the offseason, but Elias didn't get it then. Will he get them now?

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

The same two things we needed in the offseason, but Elias didn't get it then. Will he get them now?

I wouldn't advise holding your breath. I'm not expecting major reinforcements from outside the org, I think the guys here are going to have to be the ones who get it done. I suspect that Elias is hoping for Means to be the big add to the rotation.

I think  Ben said after the game that the starters have a 1.74 ERA over the last 8 games.   They are competing against each other to see who can pitch the best.   They are stretched out and facing the best teams in the MLB.

47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think  Ben said after the game that the starters have a 1.74 ERA over the last 8 games.   They are competing against each other to see who can pitch the best.   They are stretched out and facing the best teams in the MLB.

I certainly have to admit I feel better about these 5 then I did 2 weeks ago. I do feel to be a legit WS contender the roster has to improve, and part of that is a legit starter. 

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This has been an extremely encouraging stretch of games.  The starters’ ERA is down to 4.75, 10th in the league.  Still a ways to go, and they remain 13th in IP per start at 5.18.