Grayson was tipping his pitches

Going Underground

Every pitch except 2-3 was up in the zone first three innings.    Too many non competitive fastballs although he did a great job at the top of the zone.  Lots of high cutters.  2 bad changeups for each good one.   Flashes great stuff.  No consistency.  Was getting on top and driving the ball down last start.  Not tonight.   The growing pains are painful.  I still think it’s mechanical.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Every pitch except 2-3 was up in the zone first three innings.    Too many non competitive fastballs although he did a great job at the top of the zone.  Lots of high cutters.  2 bad changeups for each good one.   Flashes great stuff.  No consistency.  Was getting on top and driving the ball down last start.  Not tonight.   The growing pains are painful.  I still think it’s mechanical.

Changing your delivery in the majors is not easy. We shall see if he stays up  or adjusts his delivery in the minors. 

I don’t know that there is anything left for him to prove in the minors so I think we may see him and (gulp) Voth trade places. Maybe Big Mike gets a shot? Though I’d like for Baumann to stay where he is. He’s been very good in that role.

Mayyyybe GrayRod goes to Norfolk. They have to do something. Him not getting through five innings every other start or so is crippling the pen.  

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I don’t know that there is anything left for him to prove in the minors so I think we may see him and (gulp) Voth trade places. Maybe Big Mike gets a shot? Though I’d like for Baumann to stay where he is. He’s been very good in that role.

Mayyyybe GrayRod goes to Norfolk. They have to do something. Him not getting through five innings every other start or so is crippling the pen.  

Nothing left to prove in the minors? Are you kidding?

• Upvote 1

IF he was tipping pitches, young pitcher, that can get in your head and make you overthink every single pitch you throw. To major disruption levels. Let's hope it's just that. Fluster. Young guys, in all professions, can get that fluster real easy. I see it every day.

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Inconsistency, but normal for a rookie. Didn't see the game but looks like the defense in the fourth did him no favors.

Mateo booted a DP that would ended the inning at 5-1 but that’s no excuse to serve up a cookie to Seager.   Santander played a double into a triple.  It works both ways.  The pitcher’s job is to bear down and pick up his fielders when they make a mistake.  That’s his 3rd non competitive start in his last 5.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, baltfan said:

Tipping doesn’t always kill a pitcher but it does matter some. Eduardo Perez hit better of Randy Johnson because he knew what was coming. He apparently wasn’t the only one and Randy still was pretty good. 

Mariano Rivera was a one-pitch pitcher later in his career. He was still unhittable when he was on. Players knew the cutter was coming and it didn't matter a iota. Randy Johnson was similar. He basically threw the fastball and only occasionally the slider. Granted, we are talking about HoF pitchers. But still, "tipping pitches" is mostly an excuse for average stuff and poor command.

I think it's time to send Grayson down. He's had a good intro to the majors, now he knows what he needs to work on. Send him to AAA and let him further develop these deficiencies. Once Rodriguez gets rolling again and has displayed improvements in the areas of need (command, breaking pitches, mechanics, etc) then bring him back up.

Can't keep blowing up the bullpen.