Saturday, May 27: Ryan Mountcastle Bobblehead day vs Rangers

SteveA

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Could be worse, I live in NY and have to listen to Suzyn Waldman.

Never heard of her, looked up the Wikipedia, and saw this:

Suzyn Waldman (born September 7, 1946) is an American sportscaster and former musical theater actress.

Suddenly I have a newfound appreciation for Melanie.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Then why did you say you can't call games for the Orioles unless you "check a box?" 

I probably didn't say that well. Obviously the rest of the Orioles announcers are white males, so I meant to say that they are not going to replace Newman with another white male. It's just the world we live in and the Orioles are 100% on board. 

Again, no way Newman was hired on merits. There are many, many minor league PBP guys that are significantly better. I listen to many different minor league broadcasts and it's not even close. 

So I get it, most people don't want to open up that can or worms, but she's not good enough to be doing PBP for a major league team.

Pre or post game stuff? Sure! She does very well.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

Garceau is a Baltimore legend, but he’s just as bad if not worse than Melanie. I wa surprised he is still doing games after they saw how bad he was last year.

Scott is one of the best people you will meet, but it was time for him to move on from PBP work for sure.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I probably didn't say that well. Obviously the rest of the Orioles announcers are white males, so I meant to say that they are not going to replace Newman with another white male. It's just the world we live in and the Orioles are 100% on board. 

Again, no way Newman was hired on merits. There are many, many minor league PBP guys that are significantly better. I listen to many different minor league broadcasts and it's not even close. 

So I get it, most people don't want to open up that can or worms, but she's not good enough to be doing PBP for a major league team.

Pre or post game stuff? Sure! She does very well.

NY'ers have had to listen to Suzyn Waldman for 18 years. Talk about hating your fans.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Could be worse, I live in NY and have to listen to Suzyn Waldman.

I always thought she was really good.  Super strong knowledge of the game.  On top of what's going on.

My mother lived in upstate NY for 20 years before she passed away last year and I listened to a lot of Yankee baseball driving up and back, driving around up there, etc.  I've probably listened to Sterling/Waldman more than any other non Oriole anniversary announcing team.  I think they are both very good at the job though I have Sterling's schtick.