What do you think the goal of this season should be: win or develop?

kidrock

4 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

We have similar jobs then. But that is my point—Hyde has been given the run he's had because of his soft skills. And we both know how hard that is to hire for. 

I don’t know if Hyde has those skills. But I have no reason to doubt that he posses them. I was responding his roster management and handling of player’s playing time. Those things are largely out of his hands.

28 minutes ago, geschinger said:

I completely agree they should take at-bats from mediocre declining vets to give to younger, more talented players - it's better for long-term success.  But the odds are high it could come at a cost while they acclimate or in the unfortunate event they prove not to be ready or that they are a dreaded AAAA player. 

I would have made Ortiz the regular SS a few weeks ago and now that he's been out I'd give the chance to Westburg.  But if they did that and he struggled and it coincided with losing ground in the standings there will be a lot of people in the stands, in the clubhouse, and elsewhere openly wondering why they screwed up a formula that seemed to have been working.

Well those people would be morons. 

Right now, we have an everyday SS whose OPS is around 300 since the start of May. We have a first baseman who can’t hit, a third baseman who struggles vs lefties and has a bad back, a second baseman who is in a big slump and has seen his OPS trend back to where we thought it would be and they are giving occasional at bats to inferior other players here and there.

If that steaming pile isn’t bringing us down, these guys won’t either. If we struggle to win, it won’t be because we are giving younger, deserving talented players a chance.

And btw, what you outline is why you get them Up now. Let them get acclimated now, when you have a nice cushion.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

Winning comes first.  Making the playoffs.   Hopefully some of the prospects can help with that.

I expect GRod back after a reset.   Westburg to help after Frazier is traded.   Cowser to be called up at some point.   Hall may help in the pen later this season.

I’ll bet you a million dollars Adam Frazier plays in an Orioles playoff game this year. And most likely every game of that series

We're at the point where we need to try and win the Championship. We have a good team, but we'll have to trade for a TOR starter if we want to advance in the playoffs and win it all. I don't want to part with the talent we have, but that's necessary if we want another WS win. We're in a good situation, and if it makes sense to make a blockbuster trade, then we should do it.

We're definitely out of the rebuilding phase.

Just now, TopGunnar said:

The point was more that Adam Frazier is not going anywhere, but yea I’d be willing to bet this Orioles team gets in the tourney 

Not that I have a million to test my theory but I don't think you would actually bet a million on:

1. The O's making the playoffs
  2. Frazier still being on the team
  3. Frazier being healthy

At least not without getting serious odds. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not that I have a million to test my theory but I don't think you would actually bet a million on:

1. The O's making the playoffs
  2. Frazier still being on the team
  3. Frazier being healthy

At least not without getting serious odds. 

You don’t think we make the playoffs?

1 minute ago, TopGunnar said:

You don’t think we make the playoffs?

I wouldn't make a sizeable bet at even odds that they will.

That is worse than the actual Vegas line.  On top of that you are betting that a particular player is still on the team and healthy?

That's not a smart bet.

13 minutes ago, linedrive said:

We're at the point where we need to try and win the Championship. We have a good team, but we'll have to trade for a TOR starter if we want to advance in the playoffs and win it all. I don't want to part with the talent we have, but that's necessary if we want another WS win. We're in a good situation, and if it makes sense to make a blockbuster trade, then we should do it.

We're definitely out of the rebuilding phase.

Well said. I don’t disagree with any of this.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well those people would be morons. 

Right now, we have an everyday SS whose OPS is around 300 since the start of May. We have a first baseman who can’t hit, a third baseman who struggles vs lefties and has a bad back, a second baseman who is in a big slump and has seen his OPS trend back to where we thought it would be and they are giving occasional at bats to inferior other players here and there.

If that steaming pile isn’t bringing us down, these guys won’t either. If we struggle to win, it won’t be because we are giving younger, deserving talented players a chance.

And btw, what you outline is why you get them Up now. Let them get acclimated now, when you have a nice cushion.

I agree, and even if it costs the team a few wins in 2023 I think it would be worth it.  I'm sure not in the majority taking that point of view that we should be aggressive with the young talent.  IMO, unless we win the WS, this year will not be a successful one if we go into 2024 without having gotten Cowser, Westburg and Ortiz significant at bats to see what we have with them.

6 minutes ago, geschinger said:

I agree, and even if it costs the team a few wins in 2023 I think it would be worth it.  I'm sure not in the majority taking that point of view that we should be aggressive with the young talent.  IMO, unless we win the WS, this year will not be a successful one if we go into 2024 without having gotten Cowser, Westburg and Ortiz significant at bats to see what we have with them.

There’s a possibility that one or two of them is traded by 2024. Just saying…

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Questions posed like this are not how I think. The goal for all teams is to win and to develop. 
If adding a player from outside or bringing up a player or both leads to winning, then the process will work for both purposes. 

Yes, you do not need to do one to the exclusion of the other.  One should compliment the other, and winning is the ultimate goal as it is helped by developing fresh new talent.