What is your realistic goal for the O's this year?

Baltimorecuse

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

How often have we seen teams gut their organization of young talent to win one big one.  Then they subsequently become mediocre teams.  Of course free agency and Rule 5 have made it difficult to build dynastic organizations.  

I don’t know..how many times have we seen it?

And what do you mean, gut the organization?  How are you even defining that?  

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

How often have we seen teams gut their organization of young talent to win one big one.  Then they subsequently become mediocre teams.  Of course free agency and Rule 5 have made it difficult to build dynastic organizations.  

Young promising teams also become mediocre teams without trading away a bunch of young talent.

Mediocre is the default level for teams.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Henderson is much more reliable than Frazier. He’s the only IF who’s a league average hitter. Obviously a better and more versatile fielder than Frazier too. There’s too many guys now who are getting time they haven’t earned. No reason we can’t mix in two guys that are crushing Norfolk. 

I’d say Frazier is much more reliable.  That’s different from saying he’s better, or has more potential.  But I have a better feel for what Frazier will do on a day to day basis. In a key situation, I’m very confident Frazier will give me a good at bat, and hit the ball somewhere.  I’m far less confident in Henderson in those situations right now.  And Frazier will hang in there against a LHP, whereas Henderson is extremely vulnerable there.  

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I would not, but I’m old enough to have experienced three World Series championships.  So, I care more about sustained winning than I do about one grab at the prize.  

Here’s another way to look at it: over the last 15 years, would you rather have been a fan of the Kansas City Royals or the Tampa Bay Rays?  The Royals won a World Seties, the Rays haven’t.  I’d rather have been a Rays fan, and it isn’t close.  

Going back to your original question, my realistic goal this year is to win the World Series.  That is completely realistic for about 15 teams, including the Orioles.  But I won’t be terribly disappointed if they don’t achieve that this year.   I will be very disappointed if they don’t make the playoffs, though.   

I'm old enough to remember the Nippy Jones shoe polish play in the 56 World Series.  

I don't think there are 15 teams with enough pitching to win it.  

I marvel at the Rays.

For some reason Elias has chosen to fill the 26 with a bunch of journeyman and AAAA players. We still don't know what the capabilities of our prospects are because we refuse to promote them and block them with league average or worse players like Frazier. GRod not being ML ready and Means not able to contribute makes the starting pitching very weak. Getting nothing from Givens and Tate and Cano regressing to career norms makes the bullpen very vulnerable. I'm guessing that Elias is not going to make any splash deadline deals and will kick the can to 2024, where we will get rid of at least 3 of Mateo, Frazier, Mountcastle, and Urias

I think we again just miss the last wild card spot for 2023

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

For some reason Elias has chosen to fill the 26 with a bunch of journeyman and AAAA players. We still don't know what the capabilities of our prospects are because we refuse to promote them and block them with league average or worse players like Frazier. GRod not being ML ready and Means not able to contribute makes the starting pitching very weak. Getting nothing from Givens and Tate and Cano regressing to career norms makes the bullpen very vulnerable. I'm guessing that Elias is not going to make any splash deadline deals and will kick the can to 2024, where we will get rid of at least 3 of Mateo, Frazier, Mountcastle, and Urias

And then this offseaon and next year kick the can to 2025 because we don't know how the prospects will peform again and sign more pointless jouneyman veterans 

42 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

We're 12th in OPS and 15th in ERA.  That won't feed the bulldog.   So why not bring up some young guys and see what they can do.

Edited by Baltimorecuse
add info

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I care more about sustained winning than I do about one grab at the prize.  

Here’s another way to look at it: over the last 15 years, would you rather have been a fan of the Kansas City Royals or the Tampa Bay Rays?  The Royals won a World Seties, the Rays haven’t.  I’d rather have been a Rays fan, and it isn’t close.  

Same.  Perennial contender with occasional chances for deeper runs.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Win as many games as possible without trading any of Holliday, Gunnar, Grayson, Cowser, Kjerstad, or Adley. Mullins, Wells, Bautista, Cano, and Westberg are also borderline untouchable.

So basically stand pat aside from the players you want them to trade.