"Okay, Houston, we’ve had a problem here.”

2001OriolesFan

14 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Instead of starting another doom/gloom thread, I'll pile on here... 

1. BB% and K% going in the wrong directions.

Thru 5/25 (end of NYY series) 50 games:

K% = 21.15%

BB% = 9.79%

5/26 thru 6/7 11 games:

K% = 25.06%

BB% = 5.37%

Less baserunners, less balls in play moving runners, less chance of more guys on base...  

2. Another thread talked about lack of pop.  It relates back to the BB% and K% (and likely other approach disciplines) in the point above to some degree.

Thru 5/25:

OPS - .753

HR/Game - 1.2

5/26 thru 6/7:

OPS- .627

HR/Game - 0.6

A bit hat-tip to opposing pitchers doing their job.  A bit Mullins' being out.  A bit SSS.  But (as a team) the approach needs to get back to where they were the fiperst 50 games.

Yep.  Somehow things are not coming together now like they have earlier in the season.  If it is just a statistical aberration with an injury component- well it is a long season.  The feeling and trend in data are starting (to me) to be telling a different story- everyone is getting stale and falling in performance at the same time?  Why? How? I don't know.  One idea is that the MLB crew players are discouraged as they feel like placeholders in their positions and expect to be traded away to God-knows where suddenly.   Anyway I wonder if now is the time to start bringing up the flood of players from the minors and just let things roll.

24 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Instead of starting another doom/gloom thread, I'll pile on here... 

1. BB% and K% going in the wrong directions.

Thru 5/25 (end of NYY series) 50 games:

K% = 21.15%

BB% = 9.79%

5/26 thru 6/7 11 games:

K% = 25.06%

BB% = 5.37%

Less baserunners, less balls in play moving runners, less chance of more guys on base...  

2. Another thread talked about lack of pop.  It relates back to the BB% and K% (and likely other approach disciplines) in the point above to some degree.

Thru 5/25:

OPS - .753

HR/Game - 1.2

5/26 thru 6/7:

OPS- .627

HR/Game - 0.6

A bit hat-tip to opposing pitchers doing their job.  A bit Mullins' being out.  A bit SSS.  But (as a team) the approach needs to get back to where they were the first 50 games.

The lack of pop is hurting this team and think that's why you are seeing the BB% drop a bit. Pitchers are not afraid of many guys going deep on them and the ones that they are (Mountcastle) they know they can get him out out of the zone. Yes, the Orioles play half their games in the Baltimore Grand Canyon in left field, but they are not exactly smacking homes all over away either.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The lack of pop is hurting this team and think that's why you are seeing the BB% drop a bit. Pitchers are not afraid of many guys going deep on them and the ones that they are (Mountcastle) they know they can get him out out of the zone. Yes, the Orioles play half their games in the Baltimore Grand Canyon in left field, but they are not exactly smacking homes all over away either.

Perhaps.  We've also played a few teams (CLE and SFG) who place a high premium on advanced metrics and pitching development.  I'm honestly not sure about TEX and MIL.  Sometimes the other guy does his job too.

Maybe we've been exposed?  Maybe we just need to adjust?  Maybe the message for Gunnar to be more aggressive accidently cc'd the whole team?  Maybe it's just an 11 game SSS?  

The good news is that we have power in AAA.  The bad news is that the power is in AAA.  I suspect Cowser is next man up but think it'll take a haircut on an MLB player deal to see Westburg.  (LAD still needs an SS and could use some bench depth.)  Fiddling with Mounty/O'Hearn PAs is a step in the right direction at least.

Team huddle around the homer hose for a pep talk between innings like it's little league!

I'm hoping after today we see some changes. This team does need a spark/jab/whatever and coming home is the time to do something more than just bringing up a starter for Saturday. Old adage that it's amazing how good you look when winning and how bad when losing. We haven't looked that good to me recently even when we won. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Perhaps.  We've also played a few teams (CLE and SFG) who place a high premium on advanced metrics and pitching development.  I'm honestly not sure about TEX and MIL.  Sometimes the other guy does his job too.

Maybe we've been exposed?  Maybe we just need to adjust?  Maybe the message for Gunnar to be more aggressive accidently cc'd the whole team?  Maybe it's just an 11 game SSS?  

The good news is that we have power in AAA.  The bad news is that the power is in AAA.  I suspect Cowser is next man up but think it'll take a haircut on an MLB player deal to see Westburg.  (LAD still needs an SS and could use some bench depth.)  Fiddling with Mounty/O'Hearn PAs is a step in the right direction at least.

Team huddle around the homer hose for a pep talk between innings like it's little league!

Mountcastle, Mateo, Henderson and Urias have all under performed this year to expectations. Frazier is actually better than I expected but still not good offensively. The team has hitters ready in AAA, but appears to be waiting until the Super-2 deadline passes before pulling them up. 

• Upvote 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to "Okay, Houston, we’ve had a problem here.”
5 hours ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

.“Okay, Houston, we’ve had a problem here.”,,,,,,,.."“Ah, Houston, we’ve had a problem here. We’ve had a Main B Bus Undervolt.” ........ ........... I'm a loyal, optimistic rah rah guy who has stuck with the O's through the recent bad times and loves all the talent ready to burst through from the farm system. ..... A few recent facts that are not going to go away, and maybe need to be recognized. Taken from [ https://www.mlb.com/stats/team/batting-average?timeframe=-6 ] ......Rank of Team average BA Year to date= #15..........last 30 days= #21........... last 15 days= #24.......... last 7 days= #25. (there are 30 MLB teams) ---- ----- ----- ----- ---- Team Average Batting Average.......Year to date= 0.248.........last 30 days= 0.238........... last 15 days= 0.222.......... last 7 days= 0.192.------------ ------------------------Notice that O'Hearn, Lester and Hicks are starting.....

Fantastic movie reference.  One of the best movies.  Apollo 13 was also a very optimistic movie at it's core.  I read your issues and I link your movie quote and I think:

Yes we have an issue, we know what the issue is and we are by god gonna solve it.  And we are gonna solve it with the items we already have.  

That's a very good Oriole analogy.  Hopefully the ending is also as good!

By the way...in a movie full of outstanding quotes...perhaps my favorite is:

NASA Director:  This could be the worst disaster that NASA has ever experienced.

Gene Kranz:  With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour!

The glass is half full today guys.  You see what you want to see!  Carry on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mountcastle, Mateo, Henderson and Urias have all under performed this year to expectations. Frazier is actually better than I expected but still not good offensively. The team has hitters ready in AAA, but appears to be waiting until the Super-2 deadline passes before pulling them up. 

Nice reverse lock .. Urias, Gunnar and Frazier all heard you!! Lol

Seriously if the first two do get hot for awhile, it will help us immeasurably