Ryan O'Hearn has to start

Mr-splash

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Today is today. It's not tomorrow or next month. I'm all for you guys coming around to the fact that Elias et al had reasons for signing O'Hearn, Frazier, and Hicks. But I don't think that's justification for dumping Mountcastle. Bunch of present-centered fools.

Well sure …send him down. Work to shorten the swing and swing at better pitches

1 hour ago, amdcpus said:

Mountcastle is in his 4th season and has gotten worse every single season, to go along with league worst defense at 1B.

And Ohearns had 5 years in the bigs with KC with over a 1000ABs and he got worse every year since he hit 26 homers his first 2 seasons. 

• Upvote 2

O’Hearn had four consecutive seasons of .650 or worse OPS heading into 2023.   Right now he’s at .874, and in AAA he was at 1.133.   So, have the Orioles unlocked something that the Royals couldn’t solve?  Or is this just an enjoyable Fool’s Gold hot streak like Mateo’s?   Heck if I know.  But I do think he’s earned more playing time, for now.  Note that Mountcastle’s current .686 is better than O’Hearn did any of the last four years.  So, this could flip around, but for now, I think you play the hot hand.  

• Upvote 3

Some of the members of this site are obsessed with leaving the younger, more talented players in the minors and it seems those same people are obsessed with sss and they can’t figure out why they aren’t something to base anything off of.

Oh and btw, ROH has zippy to do with anyone in the minors we are discussing bringing up.

He should play more while hot and in a few weeks, once he had cooled down, he can go back to what he was.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Os4days said:

I have been a supporter of Mountcastle but it may be time for him to lose some at bats especially against right handed pitchers. Let’s not get carried away too quickly, Ohearn was playing against his former club so I’m sure he had a bit extra umpf this series. OHearn has a swing very similar to Chris Davis where he stands more upright and dips his right shoulder.

Ironically OHearn is a perfect example of a team possibly cutting ties too quickly on a young player so we shouldn’t be giving up on Monty so quickly. 

O'Hearn isn't that young, and KC gave him plenty of ABs to establish himself. He's probably not very good, just hot at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You say this a lot, and I mean a lot.

What defensive metric are you judging him by?

You've never said.

He's -4 this year in OAA which puts him 9th percentile. He was actually +3 in 2022, but -4 in 2021, so 2022 might have been an anomaly. 

He's also -1 in DRS

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Os4days said:

And Ohearns had 5 years in the bigs with KC with over a 1000ABs and he got worse every year since he hit 26 homers his first 2 seasons. 

This. I would platoon O'hearn with Mountcastle for a while and see how that plays, but over their careers O'Hearn has been worth -2.3 WAR with a career OPS+ of 86 while Mountcastle has a career +3.2 WAR and a career OPS+ of 109. O'Hearn has averaged about 60 games a year in the majors. Mountcastle has a much better track record.