Optimal Lineup vs Chris Bassitt (6/13)

WietersCorner

I'm curious what the OH thinks is the optimal lineup against Blue Jays starter, Chris Bassitt tomorrow. I think a lot of semi permanent changes are about to take place until Mullins gets back. This is assuming everyone on our current active roster is healthy. Here is my prediction (what is yours?):

Gunnar - SS

Rutschman - C

Santander - RF

Hays - LF

Hicks - CF

O'Hearn - 1B

Mountcastle - DH

Frazier - 2B

Urias - 3B

Good lineup. Could consider Lester over Mountcastle but Bassit has pretty even splits and Mountcastle hasn't played in a while so good call for him to get the start. Hopefully Gunnar gets in a groove hitting first and playing SS. Honestly I might consider keeping him there even when Mullins is back. 

4 hours ago, WietersCorner said:

I'm curious what the OH thinks is the optimal lineup against Blue Jays starter, Chris Bassitt tomorrow. I think a lot of semi permanent changes are about to take place until Mullins gets back. This is assuming everyone on our current active roster is healthy. Here is my prediction (what is yours?):

Gunnar - SS

Rutschman - C

Santander - RF

Hays - LF

Hicks - CF

O'Hearn - 1B

Mountcastle - DH

Frazier - 2B

Urias - 3B

I just looked at the career stats Orioles players have against Bassitt and based on that, I like where you're going with your lineup, but with the exception of a few small tweaks and caveats. I would swap Hays and Santander. Mountcastle is a big wild card in the equation. The team will have to see how he feels tomorrow and how he looks taking batting practice. If he feels back to being himself, then I'd put in him at 1B and O'hearn at DH. If Mouncastle feels like he can go but he'd rather stay off his feet to preserve energy, then at best he can be the DH, and at worst, he's not in the game at all. I also think it's an opportunity to fit Lester into the game since he's been good at converting RBI opportunities and he's a lefty.  Frazier's statline isn't that good against Bassit, so the Orioles could consider starting Lester at 3B and playing Urias at 2B if they feel it makes them stronger. But I'd probably keep Frazier in because he's been very good defensively and has his surprisingly good moments offensively too.

For me, it all comes down to a couple decisions centered around Mountcastle and Frazier. Frazier has 6 ABs with only a .167 Ave vs Bassitt, be he's still a lefty and lefties hit off of Bassitt better than right handers.

I'm thinking maybe we leave Mountcastle on the bench to start, and have him ready to go as a pinch hitter later in the game if he's healthy.

This requires more thought. I'm going to think it over and come back later with a lineup.

This can go several different ways and I'm still not totally sure. I think Hyde would want to keep at least 1 lefty in reserve for a Pinch Hitting situation, but I'm not going there. My mindset is keeping in line with the things I've heard Jim Palmer say about Frazier playing 2nd Base helping the defensive alignment. For that reason, I give Frazier the start at 2B over Mateo at SS. I'm keeping Mouncastle in reserve with the intention of pinch hitting him into the game at the 1st sight of a new pitcher.  Mateo is the primary pinch running option and late game defensive substitute. (I think the team is more likely to start him in real life though.) I like how Lester capitalizes with runners in scoring position and he's a lefty, plus I think his defense is decent. So just for fun here at the Oriole Hangout, I'd go with...

1 Gunnar Henderson - SS

2. Adley Rutschman - C

3. Austin Hays - LF

4. Anthony Santander - RF

5. Aaron Hicks - CF

6. Ryan O'Hearn - DH

7. Adam Frazier - 2B

8. Ramon Urias - 3B

9. Josh Lester - 1B

PINCH HITTERS...

1. Ryan Mountcastle - At the 1st sign of a LH pitcher, I'm subbing Mountcastle in and letting him pinch hit. (If he's healthy).

PINCH RUNNERS/DEFENSIVE SUBS...

1. Jorge Mateo

2. Ryan McKenna

I thought about changing Hicks' spot in the order, but since he's been doing so good in the 5 spot I don't want to mess with a good thing.

1. Henderson SS

2. Rutschman C

3. Santander RF

4. O'Hearn 1B

5. Hays LF

6. Hicks CF

7. Lester DH

8. Urias 3B

9. Frazier 2B

I'm saving Mountcastle as a PH, or 1B replacement should they go to a lefty pitcher. 

Edited by ShoelesJoe