MLB wants to limit spending for teams on non players??!?

Sports Guy

https://theathletic.com/4608077/2023/06/13/mlb-team-spending-technology-player-development/?source=user_shared_article

This could really effect the Os.

Major League Baseball and high-ranking club officials have discussed limiting how much teams can spend in areas other than player salaries, such as technology, player development, scouting and health, multiple people briefed on such discussions told The Athletic.

I could be OK with this if coupled with a hard salary cap. The goal is to create a fair playing field. Right now the Yankees can outspend us both on the field and off the field. There is a reason NY makes the playoffs 19 out of every 20 years. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

I could be OK with this if coupled with a hard salary cap. The goal is to create a fair playing field. Right now the Yankees can outspend us both on the field and off the field. There is a reason NY makes the playoffs 19 out of every 20 years. 

But if you limit this stuff, you hurt the small market teams more. 

And a cap is never happening. You may be able to get a floor (which is more important) but you aren’t getting a cap.

2 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Yeah, because they spend it on their roster.  Their system is largely dog ****, partially because they trade away their talent but I also don't think they're particularly good at scouting, drafting and developing.

I mean, that's the beauty here that we get to see in our division.  A cash-strapped team like Tampa is beating the brakes off everyone because they've invested well in their front office, analytics and development.  They should be rewarded for that.  We have too, to a lesser degree.

This is a monumentally boneheaded thing that Manfred would try to do and it's ridiculous.  Not just because it hurts us, but because it will stifle innovation across the sport.  It will suppress things like the next generation of tools like Rapsodo and TrackMan and whatever other things people are using to look at the game in new ways.  Tech might be the one thing that MLB has a leg up on compared to all the other leagues and they want to cap spending money on it...how ****ing dumb is Manfred?

Punishing teams for thinking outside the box, being creative and being able to compete with teams that have unlimited resources is ****ing stupid.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s almost as if MLab doesn’t like that so Many smaller market teams are succeeding.

Lets not kid ourselves. The Yanks, BoSox, Dodgers all have access to the same tech and can spend more on it. Sure Tampa has been run well, and ME is doing a great job with us. But large market teams can replicate what Tampa has done, and couple that with big free agents as well. Lets not act like tech is the big equalizer for small market teams.  

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

MLB teams are not the same entity. They are all their own entities. MLB should have no right to tell them how to spend their money in this way.  

I somewhat disagree with this. What if the Yankees decided they wanted to play some teams from Japan as part of their schedule? The MLB is like one big company with 32 divisions within it. Teams can't just do what they want. 

3 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Lets not kid ourselves. The Yanks, BoSox, Dodgers all have access to the same tech and can spend more on it. Sure Tampa has been run well, and ME is doing a great job with us. But large market teams can replicate what Tampa has done, and couple that with big free agents as well. Lets not act like tech is the big equalizer for small market teams.  

Just because they can doesn’t mean they do or will or do it as well.

I don’t care what they do. I care what we would be limited to do.

1 minute ago, osfan83 said:

I somewhat disagree with this. What if the Yankees decided they wanted to play some teams from Japan as part of their schedule? The MLB is like one big company with 32 divisions within it. Teams can't just do what they want. 

Within reason, they absolutely can.