Orioles To Designate Spenser Watkins For Assignment

RVAOsFan

I am really enjoying watching Kyle Bradish pitch today. I just hope he has enough stamina to keep it going. I'd love to see a complete game some how. But with as many pitches he just threw that inning, I don’t see that as a likely possibility unless he can get a couple quick innings with just a few pitches.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Why in the world would the Orioles be interested in giving Greinke starts if they are trying to win? What does Zach Greinke do for us other than occupy a roster spot and give us less than mediocre results?

Well, you're probably right that the O's should aim higher, but then you're talking about possibly dealing Cowser/Ortiz and DL Hall for a rental like Marcus Stroman when the Dodgers and other teams also badly need starting pitching.  I would love to see the O's be even more ambitious than that and go for a pitcher with a year or two left prior to FA -- maybe someone like Corbin Burnes if he's available -- though that would cost more in prospects.

I like Greinke and think he'll get better as the season progresses.  I doubt KC would even want Jorge Mateo, so my trade idea was more a stab at approximate value than a realistic proposal -- and it doesn't have to be Greinke.  It's more about dealing Mateo for somebody with some value, and I think soon the FO would rather deal Mateo than Ortiz or Westburg -- unless a great opportunity for a top starter presents itself. 

You still want to deal major prospects for Dylan Cease and his 4.31 ERA?  Pitching talent is not as static and predictable as you think it is, even for the older guys.

7 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Well, you're probably right that the O's should aim higher, but then you're talking about possibly dealing Cowser/Ortiz and DL Hall for a rental like Marcus Stroman when the Dodgers and other teams also badly need starting pitching.  I would love to see the O's be even more ambitious than that and go for a pitcher with a year or two left prior to FA -- maybe someone like Corbin Burnes if he's available -- though that would cost more in prospects.

I like Greinke and think he'll get better as the season progresses.  I doubt KC would even want Jorge Mateo, so my trade idea was more a stab at approximate value than a realistic proposal -- and it doesn't have to be Greinke.  It's more about dealing Mateo for somebody with some value, and I think soon the FO would rather deal Mateo than Ortiz or Westburg -- unless a great opportunity for a top starter presents itself. 

You still want to deal major prospects for Dylan Cease and his 4.31 ERA?  Pitching talent is not as static and predictable as you think it is, even for the older guys.

I never want/wanted the O’s to deal Cowser. He’s a borderline top 20th prospect. You don’t trade those type of assets unless you are getting back a star.

No I have less than zero interest in Greinke. He makes the O’s worse not better. 

No I am not that interested in Cease the way he has been pitching this year.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I never want/wanted the O’s to deal Cowser. He’s a borderline top 20th prospect. You don’t trade those type of assets unless you are getting back a star.

No I have less than zero interest in Greinke. He makes the O’s worse not better. 

No I am not that interested in Cease the way he has been pitching this year.

You'd rather run Cole Irvin or Spencer Watkins out there every 5th game over a Zach Greinke?  The idea is: who could the O's get for a player like Mateo that has some value?  Maybe someone like Greinke at best (though can't see why KC would want Mateo). 

Why are you suggesting Cowser should only be traded for a star?  That's pretty obvious I'd say.  Not like anyone said anything otherwise, but the line on Cowser is he struggles somewhat with left handed pitching and offspeed stuff.  The hype on him is not not unanimous.  Of the prospects that have high value that the FO might actually consider trading, perhaps he is at the top of the list.  Do you really think you're going to get a top starting pitcher, especially with more than a year til FA, for anyone less than Cowser + other players?  If not then we'll have to have fun dreaming about getting Corbin Burnes or Marcus Stroman for spare parts while the Dodgers make a real offer for them.

8 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

You'd rather run Cole Irvin or Spencer Watkins out there every 5th game over a Zach Greinke?  The idea is: who could the O's get for a player like Mateo that has some value?  Maybe someone like Greinke at best (though can't see why KC would want Mateo). 

Why are you suggesting Cowser should only be traded for a star?  That's pretty obvious I'd say.  Not like anyone said anything otherwise, but the line on Cowser is he struggles somewhat with left handed pitching and offspeed stuff.  The hype on him is not not unanimous.  Of the prospects that have high value that the FO might actually consider trading, perhaps he is at the top of the list.  Do you really think you're going to get a top starting pitcher, especially with more than a year til FA, for anyone less than Cowser + other players?  If not then we'll have to have fun dreaming about getting Corbin Burnes or Marcus Stroman for spare parts while the Dodgers make a real offer for them.

I don’t want Irvin, Watkins, or Greinke. None of them are any good.

I was hoping that we can send a package with Westburg being the highlight. I don’t see Burnes being traded and I don’t want to give up Cowser for Stroman.

Tony-OH
This post was recognized by Tony-OH!

CHIP was awarded the badge 'Great Informational Post' and 4 points.

19 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Maverick Handley has to be wondering what it's going to take to get his shot at backup catcher. The organization clearly doesn't believe in him at all. This is to say nothing of Cowser, Westburg, etc.

Handley by all accounts is a pretty smart guy.  So I don't think he is 'wondering' but he could be frustrated... just like Cowser, Westbury, etc.  However, it has long been learned that you never say anything negative about your existing club or last club.  Those remarks can keep other teams from wanting that negativity in a "TEAM" first atmosphere. 

I would imagine that Handley knows, and has commented in interviews, that every day is a tryout.  Not only for the O's but for every other team as he is Rule 5 eligible.  He simply needs to hit more consistently as the defense is there. 

From an Orioles business perspective, Handley cannot choose MiLB free agency until after 2024.  The O's don't have to do anything until this years Rule 5 if they want to keep him going into 2024.  Or they can do nothing and see if he is left alone (again... every day is a tryout).  The Norfolk Tides have been playing Handley 4 games a week when it is a normal week.  So they are giving him the innings/ABs to develop.  The challenge that I see it is he is on a team with 6 or more top 100 prospects so he is always at or near the bottom of the lineup.  That is 4 or more less ABs a week than the top prospects.  But... more money was paid to those prospects and money plays.

Let's talk money...   According to TIMESFREEPRESS.COM, "Triple- A Pay this year after the MiLB union agreement is:  $1,200/wk in 2023.  Pay for offseason offsite work will be $250 weekly in 2023." taking in Spring Training pay, etc. Roughly $36,000 a year and clubs pay for housing during season and spring training.  SO HANDLEY IS CHEAP.  

Bemboom has a contract for when he is in the Majors and in AAA.  I don't know the value but he is guaranteed above the $117,400 minimum (In most cases, a player's minor league "split" salary must be at least 50% of the player's salary (what the player was actually paid) from the previous season).  Kolozsvary (FAIP - free agent in peace) had been and now Godoy should be earning at least that $117,400 minimum.   So HANDLEY is earning 30% at best what the others are and they have control of him.  

IF the O's bump Handley up, MLB Reserve List for the first time is $58,800 in 2023, he will get a 53% raise back in Triple-A and roughly $4,200 a day while on the 26 man.  But as others have said, if they need that 40 many spot and DFA Handley, he is likely more appealing than Godoy or Bemboom.

So in summary, he likely isn't wondering (because I would imagine the coaches are spewing the org's love) but is frustrated.  AND... if the Organization didn't believe in him he wouldn't be in AAA or even on a roster.  

• Upvote 1