Freddie Freeman 2k...3k in sight?

Moose Milligan

Freddie Freeman got his 2,000th hit last night.

If you've got the Athletic:  https://theathletic.com/4640085/2023/06/25/dodgers-freddie-freeman-2000-hits/

He is 33 years old and turns 34 in September.  I didn't know that he was having a great season, but he is.  That Athletic article says he's in MVP consideration.... 3.2 WAR so far this year, .946 OPS, 152+ and leading the NL in doubles.

Freeman has been remarkably durable throughout his career, playing in over 145 games every year in his career except 2015 and 2017 when he played in 118 and 117 games respectively.  He also looks like he keeps himself in good shape, I don't think he's going to turn into the tub of goo that Miguel Cabrera has turned into in his final years.

His 162 game average is 180 hits on the dot, meaning he could get to 3,000 right around the time he turns 40 given the pace he's on.  I'd say he's got a pretty good shot (as far as good shots go) at getting to 3,000 hits.  He's been durable, consistent and is playing very well heading into his mid 30s.  Obviously a lot of things need to go his way.

He's got a shot.  Signed through his age 37 season, so if he can play a couple healthy years beyond that it should put him over.

I think basically he and Machado are the only active players right now that have a shot at 3k (not counting guys like Gunnar that are too early in their careers to look that far in the future).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Baseball America 10 players to watch in the Florida Complex League. Joshua Liranzo, 3B, Orioles It’s no secret that Baltimore’s system is loaded with prospects, especially at the upper levels. Liranzo, however, might be flying under the radar a little bit. The younger brother of Dodgers prospect Thayron Liranzo stands out for his excellent defense at third base, feel for the game and high baseball IQ. He showed power potential in the DSL last season as well, with six doubles and five home runs. Liranzo’s approach needs work, but he has the upside of a third baseman with skills on both sides of the ball.
    • Yankees overrated? I’m shocked.    I was also not impressed and I’ve been pretty confident their April was a mirage. 
    • Judge is gonna turn it around. Cole is coming back. They’ll undoubtedly make a big move by the deadline. The Yankees won’t be going anywhere. It was good to get 3 out of 4 while they're not firing on all cylinders.    Orioles bullpen is very shaky. I can’t predict a division title unless some changes happen.
    • Clear plastic bag no larger than 12" x 6" x 12". 1-gallon plastic freezer bag Fanny pack or clutch purse no larger than 5” x 7” Bags for Medical equipment or devices Diaper bag
    • Doesn’t sound good.  Still undergoing tests?   
    • My take away is the Yankees are who I thought they were. They are a team with an excellent pitching staff, but a very inconsistent (feast or famine) offense.  Their lineup lacks depth and is very top heavy - first five good, last four not so much.  I will say that another couple of things that stood out to me are: 1) How bad Judge looks now. I don’t ever remember him having a prolonged month-long slump like this before. That is easily probably the worse series that he has had against us. 2) Another thing that stood out to me is how unafraid/unimpressed that our guys seemed to be going up against them. I think the Orioles to a man know they have the superior team. Overall, the Yankees have a good playoff caliber team that should win in the low to mid 90’s and qualify for a wildcard birth. I just think the Orioles are a 100+ win team. The big differences between the two teams are - defense, depth, and athleticism.
    • I wasn't real impressed with their lineup before the series and I'm not real impressed afterwards. Soto and Judge are very good (I'm pretty confident Judge will get it going).  The rest are either washed up or middling young guys. The pitching staff and BP in particular are very good. Their defense was a mess this series but could just be a fluke. I think the O's are better top to bottom but the Yankees pitching is very good and they'll make a good run at it just because of that.
  • Popular Contributors