Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Imagine hitting .363 with 54 doubles a 1.072 OPS and not winning a Silver Slugger because you lost to the guy who slugged .607 and hit 41 homers.  

The Silver Slugger has never really gained the cache of the Gold Glove. 

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Today is one of the ones where I got three 20 game winners off the bat and just don't feel like trying to come up with the rest.  I got the SD/Sox player but the rest of the squares I'm blanking on and starting not to care.

Yeah, I struggled with it too.   Got the two Pittsburgh boxes, and had Steve Finley for Houston/San Diego.  After a LONG time I pulled Mike Cameron out of the back of my brain for CWS/SD.  

But I guessed the wrong Forsch brother for SL/Hou, and finally gave up.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Today is one of the ones where I got three 20 game winners off the bat and just don't feel like trying to come up with the rest.  I got the SD/Sox player but the rest of the squares I'm blanking on and starting not to care.

I almost always get the “accomplishment” boxes right, but I whiffed FOUR TIMES on a Pittsburgh 20 game winner.  Steve Blass?  Dock Ellis?  Bob Veale?  No, no and no.  Finally I got so desperate I tried Mordecai (Three Finger) Brown, just hoping he’d played for Pittsburgh at some point.  No!

The winningest pitcher in Pirates’ history is someone I’ve never heard of.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I almost always get the “accomplishment” boxes right, but I whiffed FOUR TIMES on a Pittsburgh 20 game winner.  Steve Blass?  Dock Ellis?  Bob Veale?  No, no and no.  Finally I got so desperate I tried Mordecai (Three Finger) Brown, just hoping he’d played for Pittsburgh at some point.  No!

I picked Doug Drabek because I remembered he was really good for them and absolutely awful by the time he got to Baltimore. 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, they haven’t had one in over 30 years.

Got a 53 on today’s score currently.  Have four squares that are either 1% or below.

I had one at 0.06% today as an MVP who also was an all star.  I’m good at coming up with obscure guys.  This guy wasn’t even that obscure.  There was a guy i thought of later who I expected would be far less popular, but when I checked on my wife’s iPad he was at a lofty 0.2%.

I am in the midst of my first day now, and just want to say for the record the first IG cell I ever entered is Kyle Gibson for PHI + MIN (10%).

Edit - ended up 262 as sucked up 100's for one bad guess at a Phillie All-Star (tried Mitch Williams going for a low rarity), and being just plain unable to get a Mariner/Brave or Mariner/Twin.

Edited by Just Regular

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Got lucky there... immediately thought of John Candelaria, wasn't sure he did but I had a feeling and I just decided to go for it.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I had one at 0.06% today as an MVP who also was an all star.  I’m good at coming up with obscure guys.  This guy wasn’t even that obscure.  There was a guy i thought of later who I expected would be far less popular, but when I checked on my wife’s iPad he was at a lofty 0.2%.

I used Brooksie and was surprised he was only at 0.1%

20 hours ago, SteveA said:

I used Brooksie and was surprised he was only at 0.1%

The guy I chose at 0.06% was Orlando Ceoeda.  They guy I thought would be even lower, but wasn’t, was Zoilo Versalles.  He’s way more obscure an MVP than Cepeda in my mind.  

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Ended a long stretch of not being able to get 9/9.   At least a week.

All my answers in the Nats column were actually Expos.

I had this annoying thing today where I could picture in my mind this guy who Jim Bowden had drafted for the Reds, and after he disappointed there, wax acquired by Bowden for the Nats.  Knew all kinds of stuff about the guy but couldn’t come up with his name.  This is happening to me on about a weekly basis in this game.  Getting old sucks!