Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Super easy grid today, got a 9/9 41.  I resisted the urge to gamble on some Cubs who I thought might be over 40 WAR but I wasn’t sure, and went with a safe choice.   But for future reference, Tinker, Evers and Chance were all comfortably over!

Who did you use for StL 200 wins?  

44 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Who did you use for StL 200 wins?  

Steve Carlton - 11%.   My three most popular answers were Brock (St. L/Chi) 11%, Carlton 11%, Prior (Chi. 200 K’s) 9%.  All my other answers were pretty low.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

9/9, 45 today.  I got 8 answers quickly, but needed 3-4 hours to conjure up an A’s/DBacks player.  

Interesting, because I am currently at 8/8 and my total is around 56... and I have been stuck a while on A's/Dbacks as well.

Guess I'll give it more time.

One of my best ever.   9/9, 23.   And 8 Orioles used!   I actually had a hunch for an Oriole to fill the 9th square but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to ruin one of my lowest scores ever, so I played it safe.   Turned out my hunch was right, so I could have had an all Oriole grid.   I had 19 points on one square, the other squares were all 1% or less.

Spoiler

Columns:     Yankee, Third Base, Second Base

Cleveland Row:   Rick Dempsey 0.05%, Pat Tabler 0.4%, Roberto Alomar 19%

Colorado Row:  Miguel Castro 0.3%, Ty Wigginton 0.5%, Garret Atkins 0.2%

Met Row:  Eliott Maddox 0.4%, Justin Turner 1%, Melvin Mora 0.09%.

My hunch for a potential Indian/3rd base combo who played for the Orioles was John Lowenstein, who played for the first half of his career for Cleveland.   I thought when he first came up he was kind of versatile and played some infield.   And I remember in the famous Tippy Picks off 3 / Sakata catches game, that both Lowenstein and Roenicke had come in to play infield positions due to all the moves Earl had made to tie the game including moving Sakata from infield to catcher.   But I didn't have the guts to guess Lowenstein for an all Oriole puzzle, so I went with Pat Tabler instead.   Looking it up after the fact Lowenstein played 71 games at 3rd for the Indians.   And one for the Orioles (in 1979).   In the Tippy game, Lowenstein played the 12th inning at 2nd base.

Of course I had totally forgotten that Jim Thome played 3rd when he first came up with Cleveland.   He could have completed an all Oriole grid as well.   Other names that I could have used:   Joe Carter (!), Ricky Gutierrez, Jeff Manto, Mark Reynolds (didn't remember him ever playing ffor Cleveland).

• Upvote 1

Geez, I felt really good about 9/9 48 until reading @SteveA’s grid.  

Oscar Gamble, Al Rosen, Carlos Baerga

Mark Reynolds, Melvin Mora, DJ LeMahieu

Rickey Henderson, Howard Johnson, Al Weis

i wasn’t sure Reynolds had played for either the Rockies or the Yankees, but I thought he had.  Phew!  Took me most of the day to fill the square   

8/9 because I mistakenly thought Chris Young (outfielder) had played for NYY and COL-- just NYY it turns out. 

I don't know why I ever try to use one of the Chris Youngs because this is too stressful: image.png.e9dffcd9d9742a3ac628500c1d96a419.png

One of them should have been a Khris like the Davises. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Geez, I felt really good about 9/9 48 until reading @SteveA’s grid.  

Oscar Gamble, Al Rosen, Carlos Baerga

Mark Reynolds, Melvin Mora, DJ LeMahieu

Rickey Henderson, Howard Johnson, Al Weis

i wasn’t sure Reynolds had played for either the Rockies or the Yankees, but I thought he had.  Phew!  Took me most of the day to fill the square   

Well, that was my best ever. 

And I typically don't post here when I botch the grid.  I had a double digit streak of days without a 9 of 9 too long ago.

However, I did just do the February 13 mlbpickle and got it in two guesses!!!!!!!!!   Utter luck.

Spoiler

My first guess was Gunnar Henderson.

AL East was Yellow, which meant the player was either in the NL East, or in the AL but another division.  That narrowed it down to 15 teams.   Bats left was not colored in, so the player was a righthanded or a switch hitter.   3rd base was Green, so the player was a 3rd baseman.   USA was Green, so the player was born in the USA.   Gunnar's age, 22, was in yellow, meaning the player was within 2 years of him (so 20, 21, 23, and 24).   (And throws right was green, so the player throws right, but of course every third baseman does).

So I tried to go through NL East, AL Central, and AL West teams and come up with one who had a young, American bord 3rd baseman who bats right or switch.

And I could only think of one possibility... wasn't sure he'd be listed as a 3Bman but I couldn't come up with a better one.  And I guessed it and got it right.

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

Well, that was my best ever. 

And I typically don't post here when I botch the grid.  I had a double digit streak of days without a 9 of 9 too long ago.

However, I did just do the February 13 mlbpickle and got it in two guesses!!!!!!!!!   Utter luck.

Reveal hidden contents

My first guess was Gunnar Henderson.

AL East was Yellow, which meant the player was either in the NL East, or in the AL but another division.  That narrowed it down to 15 teams.   Bats left was not colored in, so the player was a righthanded or a switch hitter.   3rd base was Green, so the player was a 3rd baseman.   USA was Green, so the player was born in the USA.   Gunnar's age, 22, was in yellow, meaning the player was within 2 years of him (so 20, 21, 23, and 24).   (And throws right was green, so the player throws right, but of course every third baseman does).

So I tried to go through NL East, AL Central, and AL West teams and come up with one who had a young, American bord 3rd baseman who bats right or switch.

And I could only think of one possibility... wasn't sure he'd be listed as a 3Bman but I couldn't come up with a better one.  And I guessed it and got it right.

I’ve never had a streak longer than four days.  I did just have a streak of three days under 50 total score, the first time I’ve done that.  Streak broken today.  Whenever the grid contains six squares devoted to players who played for multiple teams, I’m pretty much doomed.  I did manage 8/9 but faltered on Phillies/Padres, and i would have scored over 100 even if I’d had a correct answer.  

9/9, 73.   6 Orioles and one guy who will be donning an Oriole uniform for the first time in less than 48 hours.

Spoiler

Columns:  Rays / Phillies / Silver Sluugger

Padre Row:  Wil Myers / Craig Kimbrel / Manny Machado

Astro row:  Jose Siri / Curt Schilling / Glenn Davis

Ranger row:  Tommy Hunter / Kyle Gibson / Rafael Paleiro

I think that my attempts to get Orioles helps me rarity score because when a lot of the Orioles I do find are pretty obscure from the point of view of the grid boc.

• Upvote 1

9/9 for a tidy 100 even.  

Spoiler

Frank Robinson, Mark Belanger, Brooks Robinson

Pedro Martinez, Andre Dawson, Gary Carter

Rickey Henderson, Roberto Alomar, John Olerud

Alomar blew it out with a 35%.  

I might open an incognito window here soon and keep playing around with the Orioles row, I want to see if I can get less than 4%, 7% and 5%.  Frank Robinson came to mind because I remember when I was a kid and learning that he played for the Dodgers, Angels and Indians after being an Oriole and thinking that was really weird.  Belanger, I didn't know how many people outside of Baltimore would remember him.  I didn't think anyone would remember that Brooks had a 6+ WAR season.

43 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

9/9 for a tidy 100 even.  

Hide contents

Frank Robinson, Mark Belanger, Brooks Robinson

Pedro Martinez, Andre Dawson, Gary Carter

Rickey Henderson, Roberto Alomar, John Olerud

Alomar blew it out with a 35%.  

I might open an incognito window here soon and keep playing around with the Orioles row, I want to see if I can get less than 4%, 7% and 5%.  Frank Robinson came to mind because I remember when I was a kid and learning that he played for the Dodgers, Angels and Indians after being an Oriole and thinking that was really weird.  Belanger, I didn't know how many people outside of Baltimore would remember him.  I didn't think anyone would remember that Brooks had a 6+ WAR season.

I got 2 for Os/dodgers and 5 for gold glove. Didn’t have to go too far back. Both played in the post strike era.