You can see it

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Basallo is the next domino. Don’t be surprised if he’s our next #1 prospect in all of baseball. 

I don't see how Basallo bypasses prospects like Caminero, Jenkins (who is younger), or Lawler.

Maybe some guys graduate. But Salas (who is the same position) and Jenkins are both younger and rated higher than Basallo.

That doesn't change that Basallo is a very fine prospect himself. I just don't see a realistic path to him becoming #1 next year. He hasn't exactly killed it at Bowie this year. Though to be fair, he is much younger than the average player in the Eastern League.

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Holliday up and ripping, Cowser batting leadoff and looking awesome.  Gunnar getting hot again. Adley showing some signs of coming around.  

Now if only Mayo could get his act together, we’d really have something. 

The Orioles have averaged 6 runs a game since the all star break.  Since then:

11 runs - 1

10 runs - 1

9 runs - 2

8 runs - 2

7 runs - 2

6 runs - 1

4 runs - 4

3 runs - 3

2 runs - 1

They have won every game in which they’ve scored 6 or more, and lost every game in which they’ve scored 4 or less.  They actually haven’t won a game in which they’ve scored fewer than 6 runs since July 5.   

Bottom line, this is an excellent offensive team, but it’s not going to win consistently unless the pitching improves.   The offense can’t carry a team every night.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

11 runs - 1

10 runs - 1

9 runs - 2

8 runs - 2

7 runs - 2

6 runs - 1

4 runs - 4

3 runs - 3

2 runs - 1

They have won every game in which they’ve scored 6 or more, and lost every game in which they’ve scored 4 or less.  They actually haven’t won a game in which they’ve scored fewer than 6 runs since July 5.   

Bottom line, this is an excellent offensive team, but it’s not going to win consistently unless the pitching improves.   The offense can’t carry a team every night.   

So basically it’s about the 4/5 SP’s. To be fair Kremer has been hurt by bad defense the last two times he pitched. Rogers hopefully will be more comfortable now. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

11 runs - 1

10 runs - 1

9 runs - 2

8 runs - 2

7 runs - 2

6 runs - 1

4 runs - 4

3 runs - 3

2 runs - 1

I’m pretty hopeful the pitching is on its way to improving. At least the starters anyway. 

Since the break 

SP        Team record 

Burnes       4-0

GRod          2-1

Eflin            2-0

Kremer        0-3

Suarez         1-1

McDermott   0-1

Povich          0-1

Rogers         0-1

Orioles 9-8 since break. 8-1 with top 3 starters, everyone else 1-7.  

This is an extreme set of results that will not last. Timing of offense and defense playing a role. That said wow  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I’m pretty hopeful the pitching is on its way to improving. At least the starters anyway. 

It bears remembering that on June 30, the O’s had the best ERA in the AL (3.44), including the best rotation ERA (3.36) and the 4th best bullpen ERA (3.56).  Now, obviously we’ve lost several pitchers to injuries, and in some cases, the good first half performances may not have been sustainable.   But I certainly feel like our staff is capable of pitching much better than it has over the last 5 weeks, especially with the reinforcements Elias acquired at the deadline.  So, I’m optimistic that the pitching will improve significantly in the coming weeks.  But, they still have to go out and do it.

40 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't see how Basallo bypasses prospects like Caminero, Jenkins (who is younger), or Lawler.

Maybe some guys graduate. But Salas (who is the same position) and Jenkins are both younger and rated higher than Basallo.

That doesn't change that Basallo is a very fine prospect himself. I just don't see a realistic path to him becoming #1 next year. He hasn't exactly killed it at Bowie this year. Though to be fair, he is much younger than the average player in the Eastern League.

He has a chance if Caminero graduates and he goes on a heater these last two months. I don’t see how you could have Salas rated above him after the season, even if it ended today.

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Kremer        0-3

Kremer is my number one guy who needs to step up.   I feel like his stuff is better than it’s ever been this year with his new two-seamer, but he seems to make one big mistake or have one inning where he gets tough breaks every game.  We’ve seen him get on a run before, and he needs to get on one down the stretch.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Kremer is my number one guy who needs to step up.   I feel like his stuff is better than it’s ever been this year with his new two-seamer, but he seems to make one big mistake or have one inning where he gets tough breaks every game.  We’ve seen him get on a run before, and he needs to get on one down the stretch.  

I agree but to me his last two starts are not on him. The SD game he threw real well. Hyde thought it was his best all year. The other night that bloop double ruined his night. 

I’m not trying to put it on one guy but I think his performance the rest of the way could be the biggest difference between winning the division and being a WC.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I agree but to me his last two starts are not on him. The SD game he threw real well. Hyde thought it was his best all year. The other night that bloop double ruined his night. 

I’m not trying to put it on one guy but I think his performance the rest of the way could be the biggest difference between winning the division and being a WC.  

It's going to be hard Him with 2 rookie infielders and Gunner in a Funk, He does not like when the ball gets kicked around. IF defense needs to step up

5 minutes ago, terpoh said:

He has a chance if Caminero graduates and he goes on a heater these last two months. I don’t see how you could have Salas rated above him after the season, even if it ended today.

I don't have Salas above him, most prospect rankings do however.

Maybe Basallo beats out Salas as the higher ranked young C going into 2025? And maybe Caminero and Lawler graduate? I doubt both do. But that still leaves too many others for Basallo to have to jump IMO, including Jenkins and Clark who have more tools. And Jenkins is a year younger at a lower level (single A) so it's not like he is going anywhere.

1 minute ago, Safelykept said:

It's going to be hard Him with 2 rookie infielders and Gunner in a Funk, He does not like when the ball gets kicked around. IF defense needs to step up

I thought Gunnar looked better this weekend. Mayo has not had too much action so far. 

I actually think Dean has handled the mistakes well. 

32 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So basically it’s about the 4/5 SP’s. To be fair Kremer has been hurt by bad defense the last two times he pitched. Rogers hopefully will be more comfortable now. 

As I was watching the games this past weekend and looking at the AL East race the thing that sticks out to me like a sore thumb is our 4/5 pitchers.  I think Kremer and Rogers are going to be the deciding factor whether we can win the division.  Obviously as long as the rest of the pieces stay healthy.  Burnes, Grayson, Eflin look like 3 guys who are going to give us a really good chance of winning every time out backed up by our offense.  If we can go .500 or close to it in games started by our 4/5 guys the rest of the way I think we can out pace the Yankees for the division.

• Upvote 1