You can see it

Moose Milligan

5 minutes ago, now said:

With all due respect to that overachieving '89 squad, I don't believe any of that group (except maybe Olson) had anything close to the prospect ranking in MLB that our current group has. 

Brady Anderson was a highly regarded prospect and that's what made his first few seasons frustrating before he put it together in 1992.

But yeah the 89 Orioles were overachievers who won games with great defense and not making stupid mistakes. Plus the Yankees and Red Sox weren't completely dominating when it came to spending on player talent.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

49 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I have heard Elias say he likes to give guys a taste of new levels before breaks.

If the 2024 All-Star break rates for Mayo/Holliday next year like Westburg/Cowser this year, maybe a year from now the Peak Adley lineups are unveiled:

Adley, Mayo, Westburg, Holliday, Gunnar, Cowser, Mullins, Santander, Hays, Kjerstad in some order.    The Decision Science of Rest gives everyone 10% of games off, but those 10 guys all pace towards 600 PA in the second half of 2024.     You got Adley and that for four Octobers.

Plus Norby and Ortiz, who are both top 100 prospects. And then Basallo is not far behind, and then you still have high upside guys like Willems and Fabian, and Prieto hitting .350. Folks, the future is bright! 

As great as Adley is, it's not even all about Adley any more, IMO. 

I'm from Syracuse and I'm always amazed how much Baltimoreans and Syracusans are alike.  

Back when the Big East was going, beating Georgetown was as big a deal as the rest of the season.  

The Ravens fans hate the Steelers.  I think beating the Steelers rivals winning the Super Bowl.  

I think beating the Yankees, and Red Sox are as important as anything this club can do.

It's been a couple of decades since we could dominate those two clubs.  We start now and you'll see the fannies back in the seats at Camden.  

39 minutes ago, now said:

With all due respect to that overachieving '89 squad, I don't believe any of that group (except maybe Olson) had anything close to the prospect ranking in MLB that our current group has. 

I have no recollection of what Steve Finley's prospect ranking was, but he hit over 300 HRs in his career, won 5 Gold Gloves and had a career WAR over 44, despite his last three seasons dragging the total down. I would take that from any of our prospects. If his prospect ranking wasn't high, then it was because he was underrated, because he had a very good career.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HelenaEngineer said:

I have no recollection of what Steve Finley's prospect ranking was, but he hit over 300 HRs in his career, won 5 Gold Gloves and had a career WAR over 44, despite his last three seasons dragging the total down. I would take that from any of our prospects. If his prospect ranking wasn't high, then it was because he was underrated, because he had a very good career.

He did have a good career and was probably underrated as a prospect.  He was a terrific defender.  But the jump in power numbers while playing in the steroid era makes it difficult for me to judge just how good he really was.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

That postgame interview was great.  Such good chemistry between these guys.  And Cowser seemed utterly relaxed, just being himself in front of the camera.   I think our clubhouse is going to be a lot of fun.  

Yea I have been talking about this for a while. This group of minor leaguers are so close. They are all close friends that are growing up in the org together. 

Last night I was doing some work in my office where I don’t have a TV. Had the game on in the next room and found myself having to constantly get up to watch at bats. Usually it’s no biggie to just listen to the game but with all this young talent here, I couldn’t help but wanting to watch it all the time.

The other thing that came to mind is what were Yankee fans thinking last night?  Yea they won the first 2 games of the series but watching all this youth and talent had to make them cringe a little at the prospect of what is to come for their organization in this division.

The Rays aren’t going anywhere anytime soon and now the Os are looking like a real organization set up to make a run for a decade.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, cheecks said:

I just hope Hyde plays these guys every day.

I understand that it takes a number of years and ag (about 25 yo) to build the stamina for an entire MLB season.   Young players hit a wall early and veterans also get worn down by playing nearly every day in 100 degree heat index.  That is why we substitue some much.  That is a reason to let rookies play less - as well as let their heads catch up to the change to MLB.

• Upvote 1

What is the level of concern that they will actually sign this core group to long term deals? I fear we will have to win a WS in the next 4-5 years while these guys are on their pre-arb contracts. Will certainly enjoy the ride now but I wish this org was more like the Braves and would lock up Adley, Gunnar, Westburg, and Cowser to long term deals.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

What is the level of concern that they will actually sign this core group to long term deals? I fear we will have to win a WS in the next 4-5 years while these guys are on their pre-arb contracts. Will certainly enjoy the ride now but I wish this org was more like the Braves and would lock up Adley, Gunnar, Westburg, and Cowser to long term deals.

I have no expectations that John Angelos will ever spend any money. I just hope there’s a new owner soon who would like to invest in what Elias has built. 

5 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Under this ownership? Somewhere between High and Panic. I'd suggest setting your expectations that none of these guys will be career Orioles and let yourself be pleasantly surprised if they do extend one or two.