Changes coming to the O's

Fan4Life

We’ve made 3-4 big moves the last two weeks. Called up Westburg and Cowser. Activated Mullins. “Benched” Mateo. 

Mountcastle is an easy one. Just option him to AAA. He hasn’t proven enough for us to alter our 26 man roster. We’re not desperate. 

It looks like Tate is done and Givens is just a mess. Maybe Givens tries to come back before the deadline, just so we can see what we have. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ve made 3-4 big moves the last two weeks. Called up Westburg and Cowser. Activated Mullins. “Benched” Mateo. 

Mountcastle is an easy one. Just option him to AAA. He hasn’t proven enough for us to alter our 26 man roster. We’re not desperate. 

It looks like Tate is done and Givens is just a mess. Maybe Givens tries to come back before the deadline, just so we can see what we have. 

And what move to make to bring up Grayson?

Pretty well laid out. If the intention is to return Mountcastle to the MLB roster and not option him, I’m not really sure who they move.  I would think it has to be a Mateo trade or DFA. O’Hearn isn’t going anywhere and either is Hicks.

You have to bring Rodriguez up and remove Irvin from the rotation even though he’s pitched so well as of late. I am sure we will need again at some point in the second half. 

Edited by ChuckS

I just don’t see who you drop for Mountcastle right now barring an injury. All the guys you would theoretically drop are playing pretty well. If you drop Mateo, you’ve lost speed and defense at a key position. I’m sure we’d all love to see Frazier gone, but that’s just not happening.

37 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

And what move to make to bring up Grayson?

Another easy one. A 1-1 swap with Irvin. We’d want to keep Irvin stretched out in AAA. 

Really we should option Irvin today for a reliever. I think we know what we have in Irvin and what his ceiling is. We need to see what we have in Grayson before the deadline. Give Grayson a home start versus the Dodgers coming out of the break. 

What shows us more coming out of the break?  Knowing that Cole Irvin can dodge bullets through 5-6 IP with the wall, or seeing what Grayson can do after striking out 12 in his last AAA start.

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Do the Rays ever not play? They are going to get days off down the stretch and we will not but for another team to be 4 games played ahead of others is odd at this point by the ASB 

I like it. We’re a better team than we were two weeks ago and our young guys are just going to keep getting more experience. So I’d rather we play these extra 4 games with Cowser and Westburg. 

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Do the Rays ever not play? They are going to get days off down the stretch and we will not but for another team to be 4 games played ahead of others is odd at this point by the ASB 

I was mentioning this to a buddy of mine a few weeks ago. And iirc, we’ve only had 1 rainout that we have to make up. Really weird. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Most teams have played 89 or more. The Orioles, Tigers, and Mariners are the only teams in the AL with just 87. The Rays are the only team in MLB with 91. 

It’s getting pretty interesting in the East, especially if we can sweep Minnesota. The Rays are having to play the best team in baseball this weekend. Orioles are finally closer to 1st place than 3rd. 

35 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Do we know whether Hicks strained his Achilles due to stepping in a pothole?

No because he batted last night in the 10th and had a pretty big sac fly. It would make no sense to send Hicks packing for Mountcastle.