Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It’s clear that the Angels want him back and it’s also clear that he is going to sign a record breaking contract in the offseason, this limiting the amount of suitors in the offseason. The team with the most financial resources who can make the biggest financial offer is out of it now and won’t be buyers. So, that leaves several teams who would be interested in his services (the ones with the most prospects except for the Dodgers) as teams who will view him as a rental. Would the Angels even want to hand over Ohtani to the Dodgers thus in effect nuking their market share?

It’s a very interesting situation for sure. I just have a hard time believing that teams like the Rays, Orioles, Reds, even the Dodgers (who all value their farm systems) being willing to pay the hefty price that some national media outlets are suggesting. When you have a tremendous farm system/this a reasonable chance for a bright future what is the sense in  giving that away for a single shot on goal? Only the Dodgers have the type of financial structure in place where they can mitigate some of the prospect losses through FA. But even then, because big time FAs cost so much, no team (except maybe the Mets?) can afford to have that many at a time. All teams need the employ of young players on lower wage scales.

Yeah, agreed.  I recall someone saying the Angels are in a relatively "strong" (for lack of a better word) position in that if they don't get anything better than comp pick value, they can just walk away from the deal.  Would Elias give up Fabian or Beavers (or someone like that) for Ohtani?  I think so.  How much more is the question.

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Yeah, agreed.  I recall someone saying the Angels are in a relatively "strong" (for lack of a better word) position in that if they don't get anything better than comp pick value, they can just walk away from the deal.  Would Elias give up Fabian or Beavers (or someone like that) for Ohtani?  I think so.  How much more is the question.

I would be willing to give up a combination of prospects not named Holliday, Cowser, Kjerstad, and Mayo. The rest I feel that we can live without or have replacements. 

I’m not saying that the O’s should or would acquire Ohtani, but if they did I would commit to attending at least 1 home game per series for the rest of the season. We would be at the center of the baseball universe and it would be so much fun!

With Mullins out longer then expected how about Randall Girchuk and Brent Suter for Prieto and Ryan Watson.  Girchuk would give us a guy that can play center and corner outfield with nice power bat.  Suter would give us a solid lefty out of the pen.  

25 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

With Mullins out longer then expected how about Randall Girchuk and Brent Suter for Prieto and Ryan Watson.  Girchuk would give us a guy that can play center and corner outfield with nice power bat.  Suter would give us a solid lefty out of the pen.  

I like that, Girchuk crushes lefties and hedges against some Hicks regression or Cowser struggles. 

3 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Love it. I suspect they’d want someone with more upside than Watson though. Or what about Mountcastle and Watson? 

3 hours ago, Malike said:

MLB.com thinks this gets Ohtani. I still think they keep him, they are still only 4.5 out of the Wildcard.

image.thumb.png.1b365a00bb8e1ce9d86d569d4d9d6478.png

I think it would be foolish to do that deal for 2 months of a player you’re not resigning. I think they should look for a SP that has some control.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Malike said:

MLB.com thinks this gets Ohtani. I still think they keep him, they are still only 4.5 out of the Wildcard.

If the Angels would accept that deal I would actually do it. We would not be losing a single franchise cornerstone player in the exchange.  And that deal doesn’t leave us with any holes both now or in the future. All of those players can be replaced.

I have been against the Ohtani notion, but the closer we get to the deadline, we are looking like a legit team who has a very good chance of going to the World Series. Ohtani would give us an offense on par with the Rangers/Braves and he’s the type of #1 pitcher who can win you a series or 2 with just the arm.

Though we would be underdogs with or without him if we faced the Braves in the World Series he would still be the type of player that you need who can tilt things when the other team is a little better.

Beyond all of this is the revenue he would generate from merch/tix sales and the positive attention he would bring to the franchise. I’m not saying that it comes with no risk, but the boost that he could provide (the experience that our young guys gain playing in the biggest games all the way to the WS) I think it would be worth it.

I do question the legitimacy of the source. The guy appears to be a local guy and Orioles fan. Maybe even a poster here? This seems more like wishful thinking tegarding what the Angels would accept. I highly doubt he has ANY inside knowledge/information.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Malike said:

Thanks for posting this.  Out of the trade proposals that I've seen, this one intrigues me the most. The reason boils down to having that feeling that you could lean either way... which, for me, is the mark of a 'fair' trade. I look at this proposal in a couple of ways.

1. If Ohtani were just a hitter. Would I trade Ortiz, Beavers and Stowers for an all-time great hitter for the remainder of the season?
  2. If Ohtani were just a pitcher. Would I trade Norby and Hall for a very good starter for the remainder of the season?

The answers comes down to whether going for it this year, in an attempt to win a World Series, is worth losing these five prospects for their first six seasons each. I feel like the addition of Ohtani would improve our odds to win it all by 10% or so. In the grand scheme of things, if this deal were to happen, I'd lean towards turning it down.  I'd  keep these players and see what we have in them or use them to acquire controllable assets as we continue this building of an annual contender. "But Ohtani..." that voice in the back of mind whispers to me... 😆

Edited by Greg Pappas

I think what people sometimes forget when talking about trading for Ohtani, you're essentially getting two players. A top of the rotation starter and a legitimate MOO bat. We haven't seen this type of dominance since Ruth on both sides of the ball. The price will not be cheap, even for a rental.

https://www.si.com/mlb/cardinals/news/cardinals-orioles-reportedly-linked-in-potential-deadline-blockbuster-deal-pat3

Have you guys seen this? Reportedly we are being linked to the Cardinals in a trade for Jordan Montgomery.  I know people here have mentioned his name before. It would be a nice addition if we don’t have to give up too much. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I think it would be foolish to do that deal for 2 months of a player you’re not resigning. I think they should look for a SP that has some control.

I would do a backflip for that deal. Let’s face it… it’s all spare parts. Our spare parts have value though.