Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

Shohei Ohtani, Mike Trout and Carlos Esteves for Colton Cowser, Connor Norby, Ryan Mountcastle, Chayce McDermott and Drew Rom.

O's get Ohtani and closer Esteves as rentals, and O's get the glory (hopefully) of getting Mike Trout to play the playoffs (if not this year then next).  

8 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Shohei Ohtani, Mike Trout and Carlos Esteves for Colton Cowser, Connor Norby, Ryan Mountcastle, Chayce McDermott and Drew Rom.

O's get Ohtani and closer Esteves as rentals, and O's get the glory (hopefully) of getting Mike Trout to play the playoffs (if not this year then next).  

Elias would be arrested and thrown in prison for that kind of stealing. 

1 minute ago, vab said:

Elias would be arrested and thrown in prison for that kind of stealing. 

Trout is owed well over $200 million over the next 7 years -- and he's definitely past his prime.  If the O's picked up all  -- or even most -- of his salary I don't think it would be stealing.  But considering how many suitors Ohtani will have then, yes, the O's may need to offer another good prospect as well.  

And though Ohtani would be a rental, there is a slim chance he re-sign with the team that trades for him.  First thing I would do is give him a tour of Babe Ruth's birthplace.  

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I heard a report earlier today that says that the Angels won’t consider trading him unless it’s for 3 top 100 prospects. To me that me that they are at least getting one, maybe 2?

I’d give up Norby, Hall, and Ortiz for Ohtani.  That is 3 current top 100 guys but I don’t see much playing time for those guys here long term.   I doubt that package gets him but not manny teams could give them 3 top 100 prospects like that.  

7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I’d give up Norby, Hall, and Ortiz for Ohtani.  That is 3 current top 100 guys but I don’t see much playing time for those guys here long term.   I doubt that package gets him but not manny teams could give them 3 top 100 prospects like that.  

What top 100 list is Hall on?

7 hours ago, OakOrioles said:

Interesting take here after you said any of the O’s top 6 are off the table for the deal I mentioned, what if that’s the market value and what the teams willing to buy will go to?

Then you don’t make a move.

But the Os will definitely be able to add players that can help them without trading those guys.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Not going to happen but Mayo straight up for Ohtani would be tough to say no to.   An Ace and a MOTH for a power hitting 1B who might be a good or great ML power hitter.   Love Mayo but that might be a deal with the devil that I’d make.

What is a MOTH?

Michael Lorenzen was probably your optimal choice if you wanted to do a "2023 All-Star" parley with Yennier Cano, and get Biff Tannen super rich with your future sports almanac.

He was one of the dozen or so pitchers from this past offseason who signed for essentially the Kyle Gibson contract, and looks about as certain to be traded as any player in the game.

That said, he represents an overall tier of pitcher talent I hope we are on the verge of outgrowing.    Maybe he's better than Kyle Gibson, but if I have to squint to tell, the need to squint is more of an indicator than if he's 5-10% better.

It will be interesting to see how Gibson and Lorenzen do this winter.    Gibson having gotten the All-Star break slingshot notched his 20th start with 71 team games to go, so he may have a shot at 34 starts, a rare trick these days.

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Michael Lorenzen was probably your optimal choice if you wanted to do a "2023 All-Star" parley with Yennier Cano, and get Biff Tannen super rich with your future sports almanac.

He was one of the dozen or so pitchers from this past offseason who signed for essentially the Kyle Gibson contract, and looks about as certain to be traded as any player in the game.

That said, he represents an overall tier of pitcher talent I hope we are on the verge of outgrowing.    Maybe he's better than Kyle Gibson, but if I have to squint to tell, the need to squint is more of an indicator than if he's 5-10% better.

It will be interesting to see how Gibson and Lorenzen do this winter.    Gibson having gotten the All-Star break slingshot notched his 20th start with 71 team games to go, so he may have a shot at 34 starts, a rare trick these days.

Lorenzen isn’t better than what we already have.

Again, we need to looking only for upgrades that are better than the 10 or so pitchers we will rely on for the playoffs. We don’t need another middle to back end starter.