Mullins to miss a lot of time?

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

I don’t see the O’s making a trade for anyone of significance.  The O’s have a bunch of guys who can play CF,   but nobody who comes close to replacing Cedric’s combination of offense and defense.  Guys like Hays, Cowser, and Hicks are fine for a game here and there, but I have defensive concerns about all of them if they are manning CF for 4-5 weeks.  (With that said, I have not seen Cowser enough to have a strong opinion).  Then, you have guys at Norfolk like McKenna and Cameron, who can handle the position defensively, but who leave a hole in the lineup.  My guess is that McKenna comes up, but CF time is split among several of those mentioned.

I just hope Cedric heals up and is back in the lineup for good.  He is really a dynamic player when he is healthy and in a groove.

Cedric is a special player. It really hurts not having him in the lineup. We can count on the other guys to keep the Orioles in the battle for first place, but it's not going to be anywhere as easy as it would be if Cedric was healthy.

I also agree with your assessment defensively.

17 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It seems we love our untested prospects just a little too much. I mean, Heston only got to AAA a couple weeks ago and we're still in the moment of dealing with Cowser trying to adjust to Big League Pitching lol.

It's true. In fairness, I think the desire for Kjerstad comes from fans looking at this offense and realizing there's not a lot of power going on. Or not as much as we expected, maybe. Kjerstad is the obvious power guy in AAA, but I agree it's not quite time. There's just not an obvious place for him right now unless you swap him with Cowser. 

I watched Cedric’s interview last night and I think his remarks were misinterpreted a little.  He did not say, “I won’t be ready until the back part of the season.”   What he said, basically, was that the top priority was for him to be ready for the back part of the season.  In other words, we’re likely to make the playoffs and he wants to be 100% ready for that, so he won’t return until he thinks there’s virtually no risk that the injury will recur.  But he didn’t really know if that would be 10 days or two months.   

Personally, I don’t want to see using a lot of prospect capital to upgrade our CF defense while Cedric is out.  The team is 16-11 when Cedric doesn’t play, 17-15 when he doesn’t start.   We can get by with Hicks/Cowser/Hays until he gets back.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I watched Cedric’s interview last night and I think his remarks were misinterpreted a little.  He did not say, “I won’t be ready until the back part of the season.”   What he said, basically, was that the top priority was for him to be ready for the back part of the season.  In other words, we’re likely to make the playoffs and he wants to be 100% ready for that, so he won’t return until he thinks there’s virtually no risk that the injury will recur.  But he didn’t really know if that would be 10 days or two months.   

Personally, I don’t want to see using a lot of prospect capital to upgrade our CF defense while Cedric is out.  The team is 16-11 when Cedric doesn’t play, 17-15 when he doesn’t start.   We can get by with Hicks/Cowser/Hays until he gets back.  

Thank you, I agree completely, and this is what I've been saying. Rich also asked a follow-up about it taking a similar amount of time as the previous 4-week stint. Mullins said it's impossible to know but obviously hoping for the shorter side. 

So - the guy never said he expects to be back late in the season. What he DID say is - yes - it did end up being the same injury. So if you want to point to that and say he's going to be out awhile, sure. But for me, I'm looking at no more than 2 weeks based on what he said. 

Call up McKenna. Start giving Mateo CF reps as well.  McKenna/Mateo/Cowser/Hays can be a 4 headed monster in CF especially if we utilize pinch hitters, runners, and defensive replacements well.  This is probably the best way to go until Mullins is back.  If they like Cameron's defense, they can call him up instead of McKenna if they want to try a different look too.  The roster is pretty deep and versatile at the moment and can absorb an injury like Mullin's right now.

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

Call up McKenna. Start giving Mateo CF reps as well.  McKenna/Mateo/Cowser/Hays can be a 4 headed monster in CF especially if we utilize pinch hitters, runners, and defensive replacements well.  This is probably the best way to go until Mullins is back.  If they like Cameron's defense, they can call him up instead of McKenna if they want to try a different look too.  The roster is pretty deep and versatile at the moment and can absorb an injury like Mullin's right now.

5 Headed CF Monster McKenna/Mateo/Hicks/Cowser/Hays

sorry, probably more of a CF Hydra

so

9 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If they liked Cameron then I think they would have tried him over picking up Hicks and FTR I think Hicks has struck Midnight and returned to pumpkin status. Also, Cameron would require another 40-man move, McKenna would not. Relative to your comment, I have advocated for Mateo in CF before, SD played him there as he was blocked at SS. Mateo could fill the McKenna role next year but also be an option at backup SS and 2B, he has played both for BAL. Then next year the outfield is Cowser, Mullins, Hays, Kjerstad with each playing 3/4 time and rotating at DH some. Everybody stays fresh (hopefully healthy).

19 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

If they don't make a trade and Mullins isn't back yet, Bradfield is going to be the best option in center for the playoffs, at least for the late innings.

Absolutely NO way.  He has never played in any major league park.-  that alone is enough to say no to that.

10 hours ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

Kjerstad is the only OF prospect that we have who has a below average SPEED scouting report.  Most of the "veteran" prospects are a 55 (above average).

Strange thing is whenever I see video on Kjerstad, he really doesn't look all that slow to me.  

18 hours ago, Number5 said:

Strange thing is whenever I see video on Kjerstad, he really doesn't look all that slow to me.  

HK is NOT slow. Per Fangraphs Spd metric developed by Bill James to rate a players speed and base running, HK is a 6.7 where 7.0 is excellent, 6.0 is great, and 5.5 is above average. Cowser is 5.8, Mayo is 4.5, Prieto is 3.6. Ortiz on the other hand is 8.4 🤩, that is about where Gunnar was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2