Saturday afternoon July 22: Orioles send Greyson Rodriguez to the mound vs Rays

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I don't disagree, but I think he could try a bit more to put his pitchers in situations to succeed. This was a big ask for Fuji and there wasn't even good reason to believe he could do it better than anyone else. Managing a pitcher's psyche is part of being a manager imo.

Fuji has been good since moving to bullpen, looked electric yesterday, and everyone on the game thread wanted to see him until AFTER he started walking guys. Then it is Hyde's fault.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol we still might need 2 from Bautista

I don't make the huge bucks, but I could see from a mile away that this was a two-inning save situation for Bautista. This is one of the games that you can't lose. It's a two-game swing, but more importantly, it can make you lose tomorrow again, and beyond. 

1 minute ago, dtk9119 said:

The ones that pitched today were their 3 worst and if you're a championship contender you have to be able to tack on..

If Shawn Armstrong (0.91 ERA) and Kelly (3.09) are among the 3 worst, that tells you how great their bullpen is.

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I don't disagree, but I think he could try a bit more to put his pitchers in situations to succeed. This was a big ask for Fuji and there wasn't even good reason to believe he could do it better than anyone else. Managing a pitcher's psyche is part of being a manager imo.

When’s it not gonna be a big ask for someone?  When’s it not gonna be a big situation for a reliever?

All of these guys are going to have to deliver under pressure at some point.  If not today and yesterday for Fuji, then when?

When’s an acceptable time to ask for a newly acquired reliever to deliver in a high leverage situation?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I will crack a beer the day Arozarena retires. 

The Cardinals have traded away Arozarena, Alcantara, Zac Gallen, Lane Thomas and a couple other notable guys that I can’t think of right now.  And we still bitch about Mike Yaz around here. 

• Haha 2

the walks are on Fujinami but he pitched himself out of it to a 5-4 lead, Mateo though had that big hit is suppose to make that play 10 times out of 10 if your keeping a barely .200 hitter on the roster he better be a gold glove. especially when you have the likes of Ortiz in the AAA who can easily match Mateos bat and glove and has upside to be way way better 

• Upvote 3