Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

3 hours ago, bluedog said:

Fair point. I assume a trade for one or more SPs would have to precede a trade of ECab. Again - I didn't propose Westburg for ECab and I wouldn't like it if we traded for him.

By the way - Chris Sale was 21 and had 3 more years of control (very similar to ECab) and generated a 4 for one trade. Sale was without question far superior to ECab and required a huge haul to get, but the argument that young high-upside SPs with multiple years of team control don't get traded in 4 for 1 trades isn't true. And before you point out some other reason ECab for 4 O's is different than the Sale trade - of course all trades are different and you can find something unprecedented about almost any proposed trade. The bottom line is a 4 for 1 trade for ECab is plausible, regardless of whether it's likely or not.

White Sox get: Yoán Moncada, Michael Kopech, Luis Alexander Basabe, Victor Diaz
Red Sox get: Chris Sale

How did those guys rank in their system and top 100. Moncada was the only one that ended up yielding much right?

Edited by Roll Tide

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Ugh, I would never do this.  From Fangraphs:

The Baltimore Orioles acquire P Dylan Cease from the Chicago White Sox for INF Jordan Westburg, CF Jud Fabian, SS Joey Ortiz, and P Justin Armbruester

The Orioles have churned out an impressive assortment of hitting prospects the last few years, but the farm system hasn’t been able to come up with starting pitching anywhere near as well. Even assuming that Grayson Rodriguez works out, the Orioles likely need more rotation help and it’s probably going to have to come from outside the organization. That might mean trading away some of their young hitters and watching them succeed elsewhere. The team is contending, but I don’t think the front office is suddenly full of wild gamblers, so I doubt we’ll start seeing names like Coby Mayo or Heston Kjerstad move for short-term rentals.

Dylan Cease, however, is not a short-term rental; the Orioles would get to keep him until the end of the 2025 season. This may be blasphemy to some, but given their respective contract situations, I’d happily give up more for Cease than I would for Ohtani. Westburg’s stock has shot up this year, and with ZiPS seeing him as an above-average starter in the majors right now, the White Sox could reap the benefits of having him on the team very quickly. Since Cease represents significant value, the Pale Hose are going to need to offer more than just Westburg, so I included two interesting offensive prospects in Fabian and Ortiz who could help shore up the organization’s lackluster depth. I also included Armbruester, a little talked-about pitching prospect who probably has a good shot at fitting in the back of the rotation in the not-too-distant future. 

The big question is just how available Cease actually is. The White Sox are a mess at the moment, but they’ve given every indication that they think they’ll be contenders in 2024. That might make it difficult to get them to part with Cease without a ridiculously lopsided offer. I don’t think the Orioles would go that far, but it’s certainly worth asking.

Put in Norby and take out one of Ortiz or Westburg and I probably do it.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I could live with that. No way I’d give up both Ortiz and Westburg either - maybe the FO doesn’t agree but I think Ortiz in particular has a great chance to be really really good.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Looking through his game logs, he isn't a measurable improvement over most of our current starters. Has gone 6.1 innings twice in 22 starts, many less than 6.  a few really good games, a few bad ones, mostly meh. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

If Verlander is indeed available what do you think it would cost and should we do it?

First and foremost, it will cost a minimum of $43 Million Dollars for this season unless Steve Cohen is willing to pay some of it for a better package of prospects. Otherwise, he's got a No Trade Clause and has to approve any potential deal. Here's an article all about it...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/mets-trade-rumors-justin-verlander-max-scherzer.html

19 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Looking through his game logs, he isn't a measurable improvement over most of our current starters. Has gone 6.1 innings twice in 22 starts, many less than 6.  a few really good games, a few bad ones, mostly meh. 

See belowv

. His last nine starts have yielded a 3.00 ERA and 70 strikeouts in 51 innings.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083341-the-perfect-move-for-every-1st-place-team-at-2023-mlb-trade-deadline

5 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

First and foremost, it will cost a minimum of $43 Million Dollars for this season unless Steve Cohen is willing to pay some of it for a better package of prospects. Otherwise, he's got a No Trade Clause and has to approve any potential deal. Here's an article all about it...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/mets-trade-rumors-justin-verlander-max-scherzer.html

This season ….nope he’s owed less than half. He is owed that next year. Their owner is said to want to buy prospects by eating his salary.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

This season ….nope he’s owed less than half. He is owed that next year. Their owner is said to want to buy prospects by eating his salary.

Well that's good news. Consider me interested, depending on what Sigbot says about his metrics at his age.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

1 hour ago, Fan4Life said:

See belowv

. His last nine starts have yielded a 3.00 ERA and 70 strikeouts in 51 innings.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083341-the-perfect-move-for-every-1st-place-team-at-2023-mlb-trade-deadline

During Steven Matz's last 9 games (4 starts) he's pitched to a 2.56 ERA (2.84 FIP) and  has 35 K's in 31.2 IP.  I'm not necessarily beating the drum for Steven Matz unless the cost is cheap in prospects and the Cards cough up a lot of money, but maybe we should curb our enthusiasm for Cease and conserve our ammunition for the offseason when there will be a lot better value available.

42 minutes ago, 24fps said:

See belowv

During Steven Matz's last 9 games (4 starts) he's pitched to a 2.56 ERA (2.84 FIP) and  has 35 K's in 31.2 IP.  I'm not necessarily beating the drum for Steven Matz unless the cost is cheap in prospects and the Cards cough up a lot of money, but maybe we should curb our enthusiasm for Cease and conserve our ammunition for the offseason when there will be a lot better value available.

Fair enough but he only makes it through 6 regularly. 

Edited by Fan4Life